Author Topic: MegaGlest 3.5.0-beta2 ready for testing ( old beta1 topic )  (Read 7385 times)

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
MegaGlest 3.5.0-beta2 - come and get it while its hot (svn revision 2053)

!!!! Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) users must have installed the package p7zip-full to be able to install mods in the game !!!!

Changelog:
v3.5.0-beta2

- Menu changes to better group similar items
- Added Blender related tools in blender sub folder
- Modified binary and script names for Linux builds to avoid conflicts with original glest
- Added preview info in mod menu
- End game stats have more info now
- Added more validations for modders for techtrees and scenarios (commandline options)
- Bugfix for OpenAL (now works in v 1.13)
- Updates to Romans faction
- Network messages generated by the game are now displayed in the local users selected language
- Support for custom credits (add the file data/core/menu/credits.txt)
- More AI player improvements
- Default screenshot format is now jpg (configurable in options menu)
- Fixed some performance problems with 'stuck' units
- Scenario preview screen support

v3.5.0-beta1

- performance improvements, now make it possible to play with more units and slower hardware than before.
- new maps with cliffs and higher terrain
- support for sending 7z tilesets and techtrees over network
- new game mod management console to download new game content or remove existing mod content
- multi-threaded pathfinding for better performance when many units are moving
- CPU AI player improvements (units get unstuck more often and stationary air units attack more efficiently)
- new tileset and resource particle support.
- added jpg screenshot support
- optional compressed GPU texture support
- scenario preview logos
- improved harvesting and resource selection
- better support for multiple platform compiling
- Modifiable keyboard hotkeys
- bugfixes for map editor and g3d viewer to work more stable on multiple platforms
- LSB conform ".megaglest" usage

Full installers:

Windows:
Download Here (181.4 MB)
sha1sum 8251476eac1b1f289f0c429a2b429a3e620aa920

Linux 32 bit:
Download Here (228.5 MB)
sha1sum 8851a3123e629d9d1239630545280d61edd6afcc

Linux 64 bit:
Download Here (225.3 MB)
sha1sum fb38e6509489853d31ab32e5ce3c1ed3706efc57

Advanced options:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 11 April 2011, 08:19:35 by titi »

Dritominous

Re: Mega Glest 3.5.0-beta1 ready for testing
« Reply #1 on: 1 April 2011, 05:41:08 »
Woo hoo!!  

And I thought I was going to bed.   :O

emscape

« Reply #2 on: 1 April 2011, 09:26:44 »
Now only better graphics and glest can match modern games once more :D

treba

« Reply #3 on: 1 April 2011, 10:29:31 »
nice changes for a last stable release  :thumbup:
hope this features will find their way into the merge.

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 1 April 2011, 14:58:54 »
Interesting features! Im downloading it right now i will tell you what i think after i played it :)

*update* i have a problem, installing the beta the screen resolution changed and since it wasn't very good i changed it but i put a too large one and now i can't click on the ok button to save another resolution, does anyone how can i know change the resolution? thanks!
« Last Edit: 1 April 2011, 16:43:08 by Pizza90 »
I translated Megaglest in italian and i keep the translation updated.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #5 on: 1 April 2011, 17:12:16 »
Kill the process using kill -9 `pidof glest.bin` on Linux or using Windows task manager on Windows.
Then edit the glestuser.ini configuration file (which is now stored below your home directory/"My Documents") either manually or using the MG Configurator.
Check your video/screen/display configuration to find out which resolutions your computer supports and set one of them.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

softcoder

• MegaGlest Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 1 April 2011, 20:00:12 »

In Linux glestuser.ini is located in ~/.megaglest, in Windows XP its located in: C:\Documents and Settings\SoftCoder\Application Data\megaglest (substitute softcoder for your windows username), Window Vista and Windows 7 use a different path for the application data, perhaps ultifd or someone with Windoiws 7 could post the path?

The follow are the screen resolution values:

ScreenHeight=960
ScreenWidth=1680
ColorBits=32

Thanks

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 1 April 2011, 23:33:41 »
Thanks all i fixed the problem! After playing for few time thee are my feedbacks:

- the game seems stable for me
- in some word there are "??" maybe it's because some words have not been translated yet (im using the italian version)
- downloading the maps works good for me but i noticed that i could try to download the same map many times without getting a message like "you have already downloaded this map" and wasn't very clear what i had downloaded and what not in the list.
- in the "download centre" there are some factions missing but i suppose you will add them all before the stable release
- it would be nice if you could download just a faction per time and not a whole pack, because maybe someone would like to download "X" but not ""XX" that are in the same pack
- the game seems well optimized and more quick to load (im on windows xp with 2gb of ram)
- this is more a question: how can you put sun or rain in the game? Because i didnt see that option and for me it's random but rain eats some ram so i'd like to play always without it  :)

ps: sorry for the guys i was playing with yesterday but my internet connection crashed.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #8 on: 1 April 2011, 23:45:27 »
- this is more a question: how can you put sun or rain in the game? Because i didnt see that option and for me it's random but rain eats some ram so i'd like to play always without it  :)
Weather is chosen by the tilesets. In each tileset XML is a value that defines the chance of having one of the three weather conditions: sun, rain, or snow. You could disable it by editing the tileset's XML so that sun is "1.0" (aka: it's sunny 100% of the time) and the other weather conditions are "0". You won't be able to play multiplayer though then.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

kris9700

« Reply #9 on: 2 April 2011, 23:19:16 »
Downloading right now!

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #10 on: 3 April 2011, 09:29:17 »
- in some word there are "??" maybe it's because some words have not been translated yet (im using the italian version)

That's right, the new strings which were added after 3.4 are only available in english for now. We will organise translations as soon as we can be sure there will be no more changes to these strings. We kindly ask all translators to subscribe to our translation mailing list so that we can let them know when the time comes.

- downloading the maps works good for me but i noticed that i could try to download the same map many times without getting a message like "you have already downloaded this map" and wasn't very clear what i had downloaded and what not in the list.

I assume you are referring to the Game Mods menu here. I do receive a message when I try to download a map I already have there, and I also receive a message after a download was completed successfully. Please retry this using english language and see if it works for you then.
Items you already have are displayed with a lighter background, items you do not yet have are displayed with a darker and more red background.

- in the "download centre" there are some factions missing but i suppose you will add them all before the stable release

What you see there now is basically demo / testing content, the fact that something is listed there now cannot be considered indication that this content will be listed there after v3.5 is released. Since the items available in the Game Mods menu are stored on the masterserver, not with the game itself, we will be able to dynamically update the items available in the Game Mods menu in between releases. We will soon define what information is required for any mod to be listed there and how modders can provide this information and request to get listed. We do, however, reserve the right to choose which mods we include (and which we don't) since we want a high quality standard there. Installing mods manually will always remain possible, though.

- it would be nice if you could download just a faction per time and not a whole pack, because maybe someone would like to download "X" but not ""XX" that are in the same pack

This is a matter which you will need to discuss with the mod packager, really, who is in the very most cases identical with the mod developer, who is in the very most cases not identical with those who develop the game (with the exception of MegaPack) or manage the mods database.

Thanks for your comments.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 4 April 2011, 02:06:42 »
You are welcome :) For the mailing list as i said in other post i dont have time to read the mails sorry! So i'd lik more a post here on the forum (as did for the translations of 3.4.0).

Talking about the messages after downloading the map i get this with the italian translation: http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1912/lookmg.jpg and this with the english translation: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4338/lookmg0.jpg as you can see the download map doesnt become lighter or something like this. Im on windows xp.

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
Re: MegaGlest 3.5.0-beta1 ready for testing
« Reply #12 on: 4 April 2011, 12:45:46 »
You are welcome :) For the mailing list as i said in other post i dont have time to read the mails sorry! So i'd like more a post here on the forum (as did for the translations of 3.4.0).

How much time do you think it takes to read one email in every three to six months? ;) So far, not a single email has been sent through this list, there will be one sent there soon but then it'll most likely be at least another 3 to 6 months until the next one comes through. I'm just explaining this since I think you may be misunderstanding the nature of this (announcement-only) mailing list.

I have moved the discussion on the irregular behaviour of your Game Mods menu to a separate thread. Please follow up there as needed.

Pizza90

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
Re: MegaGlest 3.5.0-beta1 ready for testing
« Reply #13 on: 4 April 2011, 14:19:27 »
oh ok thn i will sign it :) about the bug i will reply on that post.

anything