Author Topic: Linux System Report: support utility for Linux users  (Read 5236 times)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
Linux System Report: support utility for Linux users
« on: 16 July 2012, 01:01:49 »
We now have a little shell script which puts together the most relevant information we need when someone is having trouble running MegaGlest. This is also useful in situations where MegaGlest does not run at all or crashes quickly, an increasingly rare but difficult to diagnose case. On the other hand the system report also provides in-depth informationon the users' hardware and operating system, giving us a good idea of which environment MegaGlest is operating in.

This utility has been around for a while, but got a larger rewrite now (to add more features and safeguards) and it hasn't been tested much, yet, so please help testing. It's pretty straight forward, all you need to do is open a terminal window and paste this:

Code: [Select]
cd /tmp && wget 'http://megaglest.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/megaglest/trunk/source/tools/support/linux/system_report' && chmod +x system_report && ./system_report
This produces a report file which you should then make available as indicated.

This utility just gathers information (nothing personal except your hostname and username - you are welcome to edit this out if you prefer, but if you do, please make it visible), it does not make any changes to your system. You are also not supposed to run it as root/with sudo, running it as a normal/restricted user is fully sufficient.

Thanks in advance for testing.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2012, 01:40:51 by tomreyn »
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Zhook

Re: Linux System Report: support utility for Linux users
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2012, 01:20:17 »
Ok, I'll test it today.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2012, 05:58:16 »
Any chance of a Windows version in the future, too?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Zhook

« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2012, 14:27:17 »
Already translated into russian:
(click to show/hide)

tomreyn

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • MegaGlest - the free and open source cross platform 3D real-time strategy game
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2012, 19:29:13 »
Already translated into russian:

That's kind of you, thanks, but ... I don't plan to add locaization support to it - it's just a support script. So while your translated copy is here, it will get outdated quickly and People should always use the latest one - which will be English only unfortunately.

Any chance of a Windows version in the future, too?

Loose plans, yes, but no more than that currently. It's very, very, very far from straight-forward to do something like this on Windows. It would need to be a Visual Basic script (VBS) which interfaces the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to get this kind of information. And there doesn't seem to be a lot of good and free documentation on that available. So, at least to me, this would be a no fun job, and I'd be very happy if some Windows enthusiast would do it instead.
atibox: Ryzen 1800X (8 cores @3.6GHz), 32 GB RAM, MSI Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8G, PCI subsystem ID [1462:3417], (Radeon RX 580 chipset, POLARIS10) @3440x1440; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon (amdgpu) / mesa video driver
atibox (old): Core2Quad Q9400 (4 cores @2.66GHz), 8 GB RAM, XFX HD-467X-DDF2, PCI subsystem ID [1682:2931], (Radeon HD 4670, RV730 XT) @1680x1050; latest stable Ubuntu release, (open source) radeon / mesa video driver
notebook: HP envy13d020ng
internet access: VDSL2+

· · · How YOU can contribute to MG · Latest development snapshot · How to build yourself · Megapack techtree · Currently hosted MG games · · ·

Zhook

« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2012, 02:21:40 »
I'll update translation.
Just e-mail me if you make new version and I'll translate it.
I think need to add script to contact page of mg's website.
It will simplify support.