Author Topic: Particles from Max and Luminance maps in models?  (Read 3968 times)

junglebeaver

Particles from Max and Luminance maps in models?
« on: 25 October 2006, 07:48:22 »
Hey, this is cool! Believe it or not you can actually export particles from 3ds max. Its a little tricky but possible. You just have to make sure that the amount of faces stays the same. For example, I made this one unit called a "sapper" with a torch. Using "super spray" particle system in Max I made fire in the torch. What I did was set the start time (for the particles) to -30, the end time to 30 and the timeline to 30 frames. I'm no math whiz (i'm only 17) but somehow it works out that the amount of faces says the same throughout so i can export to Glest! Oh, also I made the particle type "instanced geometry" (very important! ).
 Sure, it doesn't look exactly like the particles in max but it sure is cool and very usefull.

Now, my question: I know you can turn luminance on or off for particles in glest but is there a way to make the textures of models have luminance? The torch I gave my "sapper" would look perfect if I could do this. Please help me out! Thanks you guys! :)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by junglebeaver »

Blueblaze

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2006, 13:42:14 »
I don't believe you can give the textures lumance look in the game, but if you paint the texture to have a glow, it will appear as it has the lumance look. It wouldn't work for units, but for particles that use models (Like rocks, arrows, etc..) it would give it a nice look. You could make a unit have lumance, but don't bother as it would take forever to make the small bits of particles around the unit and so forth.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Blueblaze »

Blueblaze

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2006, 13:43:15 »
By the way, when are you going to release the project? :P

junglebeaver

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2006, 14:34:16 »
"You could make a unit have lumance, but don't bother as it would take forever to make the small bits of particles around the unit and so forth."

How could you do this, I don't understand.

As for being released, actually, I am planning to upload a half finished (well, more like 1/16 finished) very soon. As soon as I can get the files to my friends house. He has highspeed internet. I would never be able to upload all the files on my own slow internet. But...patience dear sir, patience ;)
 By the way, are you the only guy here? Thanks for answering all my questions, but isn't there supposed to be a whole community here?

Blueblaze

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2006, 16:38:00 »
Well, what I meant by the luminace was that if you made tiny particles around the model and the animation, and textured them a shiny bright color, it would give a glow/shine-like appearance to the unit, but you probably would have to put hundreds if not thousands of small particles near the model. Ehh, sorry if I can't explain it any better, but I wouldn't bother trying it as it may take you a month to make one unit :P.

Well, I hope to see that release soon, I'm excited about it, and yeah I guess I seem like the only guy here, but there are other people who check these forums, its just I'm more dedicated xD. I end up answering the questions faster than most people heh.

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2006, 17:13:57 »
hehe, i do not know much about coding, i can only code the XML files. i do not have any program for modelling, or anything else...

i would like to see your game too, and i have few questions:
it will be a new techtree, or it will be a new game?

will this game have different gameplay (for example: more like building then fighting)?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

Blueblaze

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2006, 21:29:35 »
I think his mod is a complete mod, changing everything, or atleast a lot of stuff, so it will be more like a seperate game than an expansion.

junglebeaver

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2006, 03:34:21 »
Yeah, this is pretty much a new mod. IT's got different units, building, upgrades and slightly diferent resources (ie no energy). I don't think I'll change the tileset or maps though. Nor the ai. It's really just a chance for me to practice modeling animation.

This is the sapper. He's still not finished yet. I'm gonna give him some long pants and also maybe a hat.

Blueblaze

-
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2006, 18:03:20 »
Looks good, I can't wait :P
« Last Edit: 19 June 2016, 06:41:19 by filux »

anything