Author Topic: Unit Quotes  (Read 11052 times)

Bank

Unit Quotes
« on: 21 November 2006, 03:31:22 »
Greetings, I'm an American voice actor who would like to volunteer his voice for Glest.

I've had a wonderful time playing the game, a truly top-notch effort and perfectly executed. I noticed however that some units had somewhat...awkward sounding voices. I know that voices and unit quotes are not on the top priorities, but if it would help hasten developement. I'd gladly take some of the roles.

Feel free to instant message me for any details.

Bank
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Bank »

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2006, 18:52:21 »
That could be very interesting... which characters are you thinking on?

There will be some problems, though: since I guess you can´t come here to record the voices ;) , you would have to record them yourself and then send us the files. Then I would have to see if I can match them with the materials we already have, which won´t be easy since they´ll come from different sources.

I think that as a first approach you could record a couple sounds and send them in order to make some tests. What do you think?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by enveloop »

Bank

-
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2006, 22:14:25 »
I have my own microphone and sound editing capabilites. And I would be willing to do the voices for any number of characters. I've played mostly the Tech faction and would be most interested in those.

EDIT-

Here are some rough run throughs of some basic units. Take note that a bit of characterization was put into the recording ; )

Code: [Select]
[url=http://bank.quakeone.com/Workertest.mp3]http://bank.quakeone.com/Workertest.mp3[/url] Worker
[url=http://bank.quakeone.com/swordsmantest.mp3]http://bank.quakeone.com/swordsmantest.mp3[/url] Swordsman

I have all of the specific quotes individualized for use, this is just a test reel.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:00:29 by filux »

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2006, 02:16:39 »
That sounds awesome! :)

Bank

-
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2006, 02:38:01 »
Very nice, if you need any addition sounds, I'd be happy to oblige.

I'm also fairly good at narration, if you needed it for campaign purposes or unique characters.

EDIT-

[url=http://bank.quakeone.com/techniciantest.mp3]http://bank.quakeone.com/techniciantest.mp3[/url] Technician

I always particularly liked the technician and if was given one role, would take him : D
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:00:47 by filux »

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2006, 21:05:48 »
Ok, I think I can adapt the sounds :) These are just small technical issues, though, and the voice acting is fantastic! :P ), since I would have the sounds ready in no time. The swordman also needs a new voice, but it´d take me more time to adapt the sounds since I have to blend the swinging&hitting action. The Technician sounds nice to me... is it a personal choice or you think it sounds awkward too?

Well, in case we go for the worker, what we have so far is:

-three dying sounds;
-three selecting sounds (at your command);
-seven assent sounds (ok).

You don´t have to record the same number of sounds, though; record as many variations as you wish. I like your characterizations: it would be really nice if you could give a personality to the character! (lazy, posh... it´s up to you).

It was very nice that you posted the link to the files in your messages. We could keep  it that way, or we could find other solutions (ftp, maybe). Just tell me what you prefer.

Thanks!

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2006, 23:57:45 »
From what I got from the message, all of these are very easily remedied problems.

WAV format will be no trouble at all, and as for the clicks and pops, I am aware and would have taken the time to remove them had I not rushed the recording.

Voices and registers are no problem, I have a fairly broud range reaching further down (maybe useful for demons and other supernatural creatures) and a decent falsetto (Think Goblin from Warcraft 3)

I actually do several takes for each voice, and then save them as a single reel. What you are hearing is the best of all those takes (each quote is about 4-5 takes) put into one reel. I would be fine with isolating them.

If you need narraration, I can do a fairly good "Movie-Previews Guy" and the typical deep voiced narrarator.

As for the technician, I tried to go for a bit of a condescending yet still "respecting" tone. If you notice I pulled a Warcraft 3 and had a song quote that made sense : )

Happy to be of use : D

Bank

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2006, 00:12:12 »
Nice! :D

So, what do you think, should we go for the worker then?

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2006, 00:42:36 »
Give me a list of which voices you want and an order and I'm fine doing them. : )

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2006, 02:01:44 »
Well, as I said before this is what we have:

-three dying sounds (aaargh!!);
-three selecting sounds (at your command...);
-seven assent sounds (ok).

Rather than telling you the sentences, it´s better that you decide on them; I liked your acting in the test reel, plus I don´t think that it would make sense if I, being spanish, told you what to say in order to sound natural when speaking english :)

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2006, 13:50:04 »
Oh no, that's not what I meant, I actually meant which Characters you'd like done first and if you had a preference of which ones I did first.

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2006, 14:39:19 »
Ah, it´s ok :P

I´d say that the worker and swordman are priorities right now, in this order. Then we could think on more characters.

toph

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 27 November 2006, 17:01:59 »
great thing, would like to say, that I like the new sounds-good work
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by toph »

Bank

-
« Reply #13 on: 29 November 2006, 03:37:35 »
[url=http://bank.quakeone.com/Worker.rar]http://bank.quakeone.com/Worker.rar[/url]
Try that on for size : D
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:01:08 by filux »

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 4 December 2006, 23:41:50 »
Thanks! I´ll be working with these sounds next wednesday, so I´ll have them ready soon. I have been also talking to martin-o and tucho on the most convenient way to release them (most likely as a new version of the game) :)

Finally, "assert 7" sounds well, but we won´t be sending the worker for construction only, so I could remove that word and leave the "I suppose so", or you could maybe record another sentence.

This is all for now. If you have any other sentence for the worker, remember that I give you guidelines but you can record as much as you want.

Thank you again! It´s very well done, really 8)

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 4 December 2006, 23:55:04 »
I'll run the quotes in mention over with a fine-toothed comb and fix you up with a new assert7.

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 5 December 2006, 02:33:03 »
Thanks! :?:

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 5 December 2006, 03:00:32 »
It's a coloquialism, meaning "check everything extra well" : D

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 5 December 2006, 09:22:38 »
hahaha... me english no good speak :P

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 6 December 2006, 20:11:34 »
I´ve been working on the sounds. The worker sounds much better now!

I noticed that some of the asserts you sent sounded more like questions, and one of the select sentences was more an assert. This is the list of sentences after I moved some of them. I added my comments on the sentences that gave me some trouble:

-select1: what needs building?
-select2: what do you need?
-select3: yeah?
-select4: yeSS? -->I got rid of the pop, but the S sounds harsh. (this file was named "assert2")
-select5: talk to me

------

-assert 1: all right
-assert2: I´ll get right on it-->there´s a high pitch artifact in the last word. (this file was named "select3")
-assert3: we need a new sentence for this one (perhaps something like Yes!)
-assert4: we need a new sentence for this one (perhaps something like Yes Sir!)
-assert5: whatever you say
-assert6: noT a problem -->I got rid of the pop, but the T sounds harsh.(this file was named "assert6")
-assert7: construction? well, I suppose so -->the sentence may not suit the action.

------

Besides, I have to ask you to record three more sentences (sorry for not telling you before, it´s all my fault :)

Bank

-
« Reply #20 on: 6 December 2006, 23:26:04 »
[url=http://bank.quakeone.com/Worker2.rar]http://bank.quakeone.com/Worker2.rar[/url]
Try those, and feel free to edit them yourself, your home equipment is probably better than mine.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:01:24 by filux »

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 7 December 2006, 22:06:16 »
I have the sounds ready. I´ll probably run them with a fine brush tomorrow (pun intended :P But it has many more quotes... are you sure you want to record it?

Bank

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 7 December 2006, 23:38:16 »
Absolutely, my personality lends itself to the Technician : D

Give me a list of quote-slots to be filled and I'll get right on it : D

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 8 December 2006, 17:51:49 »
Ok, I´ll give you a transcription of all the quotes:

-assert1: ok!
-assert2: as you wish!
-assert3: yes, my lord!
-assert4: yes, master
-assert5: yes, sir
-assert6: yes!
-assert7: ok (no special intonation)
-assert8: as you wish
-assert9: yes, my lord  
-assert10: yes, master
-assert11: yes, sir
-assert12: yes, sire
-assert13: ok
-assert14: as you wish
-assert15: yes, my lord
-assert16: yes, master
-assert17: yes, sir
-assert18: yes!
-assert19: yes!

-four dying sounds

-select1: ready
-select2: what?
-select3: yes?
-select4: what?
-select5: ready
-select6: yes?
-select7: what?
-select8: yes?

I just realized that we were using the "ready sounds" also for when the technician has finished building something. It would be nice if you also recorded a couple sounds, like "it´s done, sir!", "finished!" or so.

As you see there are several repetitions on the same quotes. The idea is to give them different intonations, for instance: plain, active and "witty". The character, as I see it, is well-educated and self-sufficient, almost pretentious but still nice (hope that this description helps :)

HomerJ

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 8 December 2006, 18:05:08 »
Hey Bank, I just want to let you know that your work is appreciatet. I wish there were more guys like you, my favorite magic's could use some voice acting too.
You don't know any other voice actors to join the family, do you?  :P

Greetz
HomerJ
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by HomerJ »

anything