Author Topic: Walls?  (Read 43673 times)

Darth_Mascurse

Re: Walls?
« Reply #100 on: 11 February 2009, 17:49:07 »
I really like the idea that Idanwin had...the walls look great, but you still run into the previous problem...how do we program that in XML???

The graphics are really good though...that is definitely what I had in mind...I don't know about the rest of you...

modman

« Reply #101 on: 12 February 2009, 03:47:10 »
I like it.  I was thinking that, because both will need some form of stairs, Tech's could be like an Archemedes screw, and Magic's could just make them "teleport" up and down and have some sparcles around the units.  There should also be a bold arrow going down when the player mouses over an applicable location, and another simultaniously in the direction which the unit should go when he gets out.  Also, pathfinding should be good enough that I could right-click on any place NOT on the wall while the unit is on the wall and the unit should go there.  In fact, this should even work with non adjascent (non-connected) walls.

Another thing is that I think the portion of wall you drew should be tower/offence portion.  The walkable walls (connecting pieces) are where it shows the "units walk here" thing.  Unfortunately, a gate is not shown.

I'm not suggesting that walls are limited to look "Techy" either.  That is what my plan tries to cover--possibilities.

battle machine man

« Reply #102 on: 14 February 2009, 18:17:41 »
In Stronghold and Stronghold 2, you can build walls and then put archers and other military on them.  That's what we want!
yes you just passed RTS talk 4th grade! Bisurge cant even understand me or spell bunker b u n k e r insted he thinks t o w e r

mictes

« Reply #103 on: 15 February 2009, 15:41:02 »
sorry - what?

deathrun

« Reply #104 on: 15 February 2009, 15:46:36 »
hi im new but i'v been reading the forums for a while and iv just joined
i've managed to create walls for my magic faction i'll up load the file and screenies soon

modman

« Reply #105 on: 15 February 2009, 20:06:54 »
Welcome deathrun!  I hope you do upload the walls soon, but the key to uploading is doing it through mediafire.com.  You can upload files for free there, and you don't even have to create an account!

The tough part about the walls will not be making the actual models of the walls; it will be programming it into the game.

Darth_Mascurse

« Reply #106 on: 16 February 2009, 01:45:15 »
I know it's difficult, but...I hold out hope that maybe deathrun actually has done it!!!!  Magic seriously could use some walls, that's for sure...

I know I'm a better programmer than some, but I'm nowhere near ready to tackle walls...

gameboy

« Reply #107 on: 16 February 2009, 05:50:37 »
How did you make the magic walls look?
A stone wall for magic would be like me using my broken jalopy when I had a Merc in my garage, I think magic should have a force-field kinda wall.

deathrun

« Reply #108 on: 16 February 2009, 11:41:36 »
my walls are still in beta a won't be uploded for a while as i'm going on holiday

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #109 on: 16 February 2009, 21:22:19 »
Not to sound offensive, but shouldn't we wait for walls to be possible BEFORE we start making them?!?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Darth_Mascurse

« Reply #110 on: 16 February 2009, 22:19:50 »
Deathrun is saying that he HAS made them possible...I'm not sure if he really has or not...I won't be able to say until I (or someone else) actually uses them.

I'm for the production of walls even before they are "possible" as it is possible that they are more likely to be made possible by the producers if we start modding them now...

modman

« Reply #111 on: 17 February 2009, 01:18:09 »
OK then!  We now need some concept art on walls for both factions.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 17 February 2009, 05:39:58 »
I think Idanwin's representation looked pretty good for Tech's walls, but maybe the texture should be a little darker and more consistent with the castle.  Plus, the walls should of course be crenelated.  As for Magic, here's an idea for the gate:

Don't fuss about the quality.  It took me all of like two minutes to draw that. :lol: Oh, and the little diamond-shaped things are supposed to be Daemon faces, but my camera sucks so you probably can't make them out.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #113 on: 17 February 2009, 11:55:26 »
I think what Deathrun means is that he made a model of a wall (or retextured something). I may be wrong, but I doubt that he has made walls possible. It would require tremendous work, changing the AI to use these walls properly, while giving the AI strategies to prevent the missuse.

Even if one was to make the AI able to use walls, there would be the troubles that the AI wouldn't be  able to tell walls apart from other buildings, as well as the misuse which could block the AI in, ultimately killing them.

modman

« Reply #114 on: 17 February 2009, 22:53:45 »
As of now, walls are possible.  All that is needed is models.  The difference is in the capabilities of the walls, and the AI instructions.

Really though, since walls aren't that appealing until we get those things stated above, this topic is pretty trivial.  Sorry to break your hearts guys!

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #115 on: 18 February 2009, 09:33:25 »
Uh, yes, walls are possible assuming that you are just talking about making a model and giving it high defense. However, I can almost guarentee that walls will screw the game up. The AI will just box itself in, or some young newby xmler will make walls invincible, or something like that. And even if the AI could use walls, I can think of quite a few other things I'd rather see in glest...

gameboy

« Reply #116 on: 18 February 2009, 10:39:40 »
I think the magic faction should use a kinda force-field as a wall.

Darth_Mascurse

« Reply #117 on: 18 February 2009, 20:48:10 »
I think the magic faction should use a kinda force-field as a wall.

well...that's definitely been said before...

I really think that walls are an important aspect of ANY RTS...including Glest...if we can just get them moving, we will eventually get them right...once we have a working model we can begin work on the AI, but until we have models we can't really get a reason to make the AI wall-ready!

I think, though, that walls would be advatageous even without AI compatibility...they could still be used by fair players for multiplayer games...I personally plan to start an XML algorithm for making walls at least partially possible...I can't do modeling though with my outdated computer...

gameboy

« Reply #118 on: 20 February 2009, 07:20:40 »
I'll make the models.

Idanwin

« Reply #119 on: 20 February 2009, 11:03:04 »
important aspect of ANY RTS...including Glest...if we can just get them moving

You want moving walls ???

[just joking]

Darth_Mascurse

« Reply #120 on: 20 February 2009, 23:59:35 »
LOL!!!!!

That is TOO FUNNY!

modman

« Reply #121 on: 21 February 2009, 02:28:39 »
Not really...OK, that's pretty good.
Please describe what you want them to look like Gameboy...and also under what timeline is this happening? (You know I like to know when others are going to finish things when I take twice or three times as long myself!)

gameboy

« Reply #122 on: 21 February 2009, 09:26:43 »
Probably in A week, I'm a bit busy now, i'm studying on how to create game textures so hopefully the walls will look better then than if I had done them now.

deathrun

« Reply #123 on: 22 February 2009, 11:07:13 »
here are some simple walls to apease all the nobs while i finis the better ones

walls
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=181e3edd0c2035d96b21be4093fab7ace04e75f6e8ebb871

its just the xml as my winrar wont work and media fre wnt upload folders.

Little Helper

« Reply #124 on: 27 February 2010, 19:37:47 »
How about making a big castle that can hold units inside? with cell map of course

anything