Author Topic: Walls?  (Read 43676 times)

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #50 on: 11 July 2007, 08:33:22 »
we would need models. also, i wanted to say with my post, that those walls are orbital large. the castle can be hidden beneath it. the defense tower wouldnt shoot from behind it (the walls are much higher than the towers), and the air units are crashes into them every time.

thats all, the walls could be tighter, but its not so important.

EDIT: i tried to test that how much time do i need to build a normal wall defence, and while i was doing it (alone), i had to go to have breakfast. when i came back, i had no units. they died in hunger  :O
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: 11 July 2007, 09:23:03 »
more wall models, you probably can use them :)

http://http://www.titusgames.de/walls/morewalls.zip

offtopic:
Hey kukac, you are forum admin?
Can you remove the sticky state of the outdated marssquadron discussions ? And can you make sticky my poll for a glevolution release?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

RainCT

(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: 11 July 2007, 12:23:06 »
Nice someone is finally working on this, it's on of the thinks I miss the most on Glest (I like it to more to be building a big empire protected by walls and turrets, then sending units to attack, which I get bored off very fast) :D.

Quote from: "andyglest"
no! model can be 200 meters long, but air units still can pass. that is because u did not modify xml file to be placed on air too (see line 19 in wall xml)

I don't think the wall should stop air units from flying over it.

Quote from: "titi"
Can you remove the sticky state of the outdated marssquadron discussions? And can you make sticky my poll for a glevolution release?

Done, I'm replacing the old few sticky threads with meta-threads providing links to many other relevant threads. I think this will make it easier for all, and specially for newcomers, to find them.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by RainCT »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #53 on: 11 July 2007, 12:28:02 »
Quote from: "RainCT"
(I like it to more to be building a big empire protected by walls and turrets, then sending units to attack, which I get bored off very fast) Very Happy.

interesting, its the same with me. my only problem, that there are not enough buildings (and save game) in Glest. also i asked the building morphing thing because i thought about that i want a make a spec tech faction, which is evolve from wooden buildings to stone buildings. (village center>town center>castle, or even more levels.)

Quote from: "RainCT"
I don't think the wall should stop air units from flying over it.

it was my idea to do not let the flying units through the magic barrier (which is being built by magic)

RainCT

(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: 11 July 2007, 12:37:54 »
Quote from: "@kukac@"
Interesting, its the same with me. my only problem, that there are not enough buildings (and save game) in Glest.

True.

Also i asked the building morphing thing because i thought about that i want a make a spec tech faction, which is evolve from wooden buildings to stone buildings. (village center>town center>castle, or even more levels.)

Yes, it would be really great, but the problem is to get all that models...

it was my idea to do not let the flying units through the magic barrier (which is being built by magic)

Yea, that magic one you thought off is another thing  ::) . Anyway, I don't know how that should be done without programming...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by RainCT »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #55 on: 11 July 2007, 12:41:19 »
it would be hard to do anything with Glest without programming  :)

Quote from: "titi"
Hey kukac, you are forum admin?

no

[[Well, it's evident that he means moderator. --RainCT]]

[are you sure? he said admin, thats for sure - @kukac@]

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: 11 July 2007, 13:21:44 »
moderator  :o [gj - @kukac@]
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

andyglest

(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: 11 July 2007, 16:21:52 »
Administrator is fully owner of forum that can delete, modify posts, topics, groups, accounts and entire forum. Moderator is second by rank and he can delete or modify posts, but cannot delete, change board or accounts.
So, admin can do whatever he want with his forum, and moderators are "only" here to delete spams and bad messages - to keep it clean.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by andyglest »

brunurb

walls installation
« Reply #58 on: 3 December 2007, 19:52:49 »
Hi, I downloaded the walls files but don't know where to install them, I've tried many ways, but the game crashes as soon as I try to play.

Could some one help me where to put the files so that the walls work.

The files I have are

wall
    wall-worker2.0
    wall-worker-1.1
    wall-worker-1_and_2_mixed

I believe they are different updated versions and I tried to install wall-worker2.0, but without success

I'm running Glest 2.0.0.1 on Linux-Ubuntu

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by brunurb »

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: 4 December 2007, 00:12:00 »
Now that this topic has been bumped... I just wanted to point out to anyone who doesn't know:

An object with zero HP cannot be destroyed. You can either set the HP of an object to zero in the xml, or just stop the worker before it finishes building even a single HP. (you have to click really fast though)

So is this a bug, feature, or what?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by jbr »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #60 on: 4 December 2007, 14:50:17 »
brunurb:

if you use the wall-worker 2.0, you will have to rewrite the worker folder, and put in the wall folder (...\glest*\techs\magitech\factions\tech\units\)

brunurb

solved - walls now working
« Reply #61 on: 5 December 2007, 00:40:27 »
brunurb:

if you use the wall-worker 2.0, you will have to rewrite the worker folder, and put in the wall folder (...\glest*\techs\magitech\factions\tech\units\)

@kukac@ thanks for your quick reply, your tip solved my problem, I was missing overeriting the worker file
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by brunurb »

mastermage

(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: 22 December 2007, 00:56:35 »
Just use 1x1 sized stone walls. (For both factions.) The energy field is a good idea, but it sounds like science fiction, not magic. Warzone 2100 does a pretty good job when it comes to walls.

Maybe it should also be possible to build stone forts, which can hold a soldier and protects them (basically a Barracks that can't make soldiers). That would allow the player to place "turrets". I myself usually do this with Summoner Guilds (build a lot of them and place a Battlemage in each one).
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by mastermage »

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: 22 December 2007, 04:23:12 »
Ok, perhaps this is just because I started experimenting with them, but could cellmaps be used to build huge forts and things? The cellmap takes the object size as sides of a square, and maps walkable areas as 0 and solid areas as 1, right? so a fort could just be a big square model with a cellmap like this:
      1000000001   This is 10 by 10.
      0000000001   There is a door opposite this text.

Actually, I think this might be something like something in the demonic mod, but I'll have to look at it again to be sure.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by jbr »

mictes

Re: Walls?
« Reply #64 on: 23 October 2008, 12:33:54 »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 23 October 2008, 12:46:12 »
Fixed, but do you really need it?
I think walls are not possible in glest yet! Especially the CPU players will not know how to use it.

mictes

« Reply #66 on: 23 October 2008, 14:58:42 »
I make it the cput wont use it.
This is very interestening for campaingst, e.g: ""City defense"". In such a case u can use walls I think very well.

modman

« Reply #67 on: 25 October 2008, 19:46:29 »
There's a bunch of other things a CPU is horrible at (no offence Martino).  See a list of possible improvements for Glest 3.0 (and don't say "that's for GAE" because it doesn't have to be.  The multiple engines thing is really annoying.  Why can't they just be combined?).

ZaggyDad

« Reply #68 on: 26 October 2008, 01:45:53 »
Martino hasn't decided to merge them yet, and I think it might be good not to, at least for now.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #69 on: 26 October 2008, 22:08:29 »
If they merge, it is possible that I'd have to quit glest, because GAE doesnt work for me...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

modman

« Reply #70 on: 26 October 2008, 23:58:54 »
They are compatible with each other.  If you don't like GAE, then just don't use GAE compatable factions.

mictes

« Reply #71 on: 27 October 2008, 11:07:18 »
*Offtopic*
As Omega often described: he couldn't try GAE yet cause there some errors nobody know of.

ZaggyDad

« Reply #72 on: 27 October 2008, 15:45:33 »
It doesn't work on his Vista laptop. (GAE, that is.)

modman

« Reply #73 on: 27 October 2008, 23:58:45 »
Sorry to lead us even more astray, but, that seems a little personal that you know that...just kidding.

Idanwin

« Reply #74 on: 19 December 2008, 13:58:25 »
About the energy barrier:

I think that the energy barrier should be indestructable (except at the corners).
They should use ep to work. When no enemy is in their range of view they will not connect and recover energy.
When an enemy closes in they start using energy while generating a magical barrier.
When one of the two points does not have any ep left the barrier will break until a certain amount of ep is recovered.

Idanwin