Author Topic: Google Sketch-Up exporter?  (Read 4237 times)

JakeRoboz

Google Sketch-Up exporter?
« on: 11 June 2007, 07:19:57 »
Hello,
  Would someone out there with skills please make a google sketh up to g3d exporter. Google sketch up so easy to make buildings with so it would be good.
                     Thanks.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by JakeRoboz »

firedeathbot

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
Re: Google Sketch-Up exporter?
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2007, 12:34:26 »
Quote from: "JakeRoboz"
Hello,
  Would someone out there with skills please make a google sketh up to g3d exporter. Google sketch up so easy to make buildings with so it would be good.
                     Thanks.

dont get your hopes up, some things would be nice, others unneeded at the time, yet if its ment to happen someones already tried to do it, and needs support.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by firedeathbot »
Back to glest after a few years inactivity.

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2007, 20:19:54 »
I have tried this and the only way I can think of would be to do use the export menu in the free version of Sketchup to export to a KML/KMZ (google earth file).

Next take that file and import it into Blender (also free).

Finally use glexemel or something to export the .blend to a .g3d.

Glexemel is the part that I can't get to work, though.  :(
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by jbr »

JakeRoboz

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2007, 00:41:28 »
Ok thanks jbr
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by JakeRoboz »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2007, 15:21:56 »
@ jbr and GLEXEMPEL:
i had prolems with it at first , too.
you can use the GUI-version, if the files are not created correctly ypu must use the exe's directly from commandline:
copy the xml2g.exe and g2xml.exe to your location (where the model-files are) and also copy the dlls and stuff. then open commanlide (start-> "zubehör"(~additional?) -> "eingabeaufforderung" (~commandline?)).

you get a little black window. go to the location with explorer and copy the directory-name (strg+c, like"c:\modells\")
then type in commanline:    chdir <directory>
means: CHange DIRrectory (to) c:\modells\
on my computer i cannot use strg+v but i have to use rightmousebutton-> paste
then you run the needed exe and give the sourcefile and last the targetfile.
always confirm with enter
c:\modells\ xml2g.exe Model_run.xml Model_Run.g3d
or
c:\modells\ g2xml.exe model2.g3d model2.xml
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2007, 23:47:02 »
Thanks, but even when I use the Command Line, it gives me an error message when I try to open the .g3d with the .g3d viewer!

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something I need to do in blender first... I just don't have much experience with blender! As far as I know, I need to make all the faces triangular and such with a special option from blender, but there could be something else...

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2007, 18:03:38 »
Hi!
you can check the xml by "hand", just open it with an texteditor.
OK, you will not recognize the modell, but you can find suspicious values (very high, or maybe to few faces etc.)
Also you should use the newest exporter for blender.
You can download it on http://http://www.titusgames.de

i also get some error-messages, but since the modell is fine i do't care...

you could also try to convert the g3d back into xml and then you can open it with blender again (or you look ingame Glest, or by the Glestviewer)...

// edit:
oh, didn't read carefully enough, you already used the Glestviewer... but my advices are still the same.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

andyglest

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2007, 16:08:58 »
i used google sketch up for a long time. it CANNOT animate any of objects.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by andyglest »

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 26 June 2007, 22:35:43 »
True it can not animate, but is so quick to use that it is worth it for buildings and such. Besides, human models are all approximately the same anyway, just with different textures. And, if you really wanted to, you could make a model in Sketchup and animate it in Blender.

andyglest

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 26 June 2007, 22:56:22 »
Quote from: "jbr"
True it can not animate, but is so quick to use that it is worth it for buildings and such. Besides, human models are all approximately the same anyway, just with different textures. And, if you really wanted to, you could make a model in Sketchup and animate it in Blender.

hm, good idea, but all that export/import confuses me. i love google sketchup, but i never got idea to use it for glest. i think i can make great buildings in sketchup, but people - i can't draw it even in 2D.

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 27 June 2007, 17:18:31 »
Just so you know, the only way to export from sketchup free edition is to go to export > 3D > Google earth (kml/kmz). You can import KML/KMZ files into Blender. I'm not so sure about how textures would work, though, because Google sketchup has such a simple to use texture system, but Blender is more complicated.

andyglest

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 27 June 2007, 17:39:11 »
Quote from: "jbr"
Just so you know, the only way to export from sketchup free edition is to go to export > 3D > Google earth (kml/kmz). You can import KML/KMZ files into Blender. I'm not so sure about how textures would work, though, because Google sketchup has such a simple to use texture system, but Blender is more complicated.

when i export files from sketchup to kmz i don't need gg earth, right?

jbr

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 27 June 2007, 18:49:45 »
No, kmz support comes with sketchup and blender.