Author Topic: Do you have compileable source?  (Read 6287 times)

Solifugus

Do you have compileable source?
« on: 29 June 2007, 17:11:50 »
My brother and I have been searching the least few weeks for a version of the 2.x.x source that will compile... Autogen.sh produces a syntax error in the configure file that I do not know how to fix.  (and I don't know jam, either..)

This game, I swear, would be rapidly advanced and enhanced by myself and others if the handful of people who've been able to compile it would just please make a version of the source available that actually compiles.

My brother has made a whole new set of .g3d files and we worked out a new tech for them... but I am a C++ programmer and am really, really itching to fix bugs and improve features..  This has been very frustrating.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Solifugus »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2007, 00:48:02 »
I'm not sure if you've already looked but I've written instructions for compiling on SUSE 10.2, which worked for me, on the Glevolution page on the Wikia.

This game, I swear, would be rapidly advanced and enhanced by myself and others if the handful of people who've been able to compile it would just please make a version of the source available that actually compiles.

I agree. If you add me to msn or another IM protocol we can discuss this.

My brother has made a whole new set of .g3d files and we worked out a new tech for them... but I am a C++ programmer and am really, really itching to fix bugs and improve features.. This has been very frustrating.

You sound like me and my brother  8)  although he has stopped doing models now.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

Solifugus

Openned an ICQ Account and added you to it..
« Reply #2 on: 5 July 2007, 16:36:57 »
I normally use IRC and email.  So I had to make a new ICQ account, but I will leave it up while I work waiting for you... I really want to fix the targetting (so they are not all firing on the same enemy unit farthest right), path finding (So units don't get stuck), and angles of large units so they appear to walk over, and not into, hills.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Solifugus »

dino

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2007, 18:24:45 »
irc would be nice anyway! Found some threads here but freenode/#glest is empty (but me and ChanServ hrhr)

I checked out the svn but i didn't get it compiled... It looks like it needs some clean up though...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by dino »

eddyp

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2007, 21:34:05 »
Quote from: "dino"
irc would be nice anyway! Found some threads here but freenode/#glest is empty (but me and ChanServ hrhr)

I checked out the svn but i didn't get it compiled... It looks like it needs some clean up though...

I had to do some heavy patching in order to make the pakage compile for debian packaging. You can look at the patches I applied over the 2.0.0 release.

If you are a debian/ubuntu/other-deb-based-distro user then you can step in really quickly. Just get the source package from the address below (dget ...dsc) and dpkg-source -x *.dsc && cd glest-2.0.0 and then look at the debian/rules file (see below)

The source package is at: http://users.alioth.debian.org/~eddyp-g ... t_2.0.0-1/

You will need both the orig.tar.gz and the diff.gz. The diff.gz should be applied over the unpacked orig.tar.gz tree, then you should apply in sequence the following patches (from debian/patches):

01_addcleanrule.dpatch
05_nomapeditor.dpatch
10_fix_gcc-4.1_particle.h.dpatch
15_use_fixed_fonts.dpatch

After that look at the debian/rules file at the configure-stamp and build-stamp targets to see how to proceed from there
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by eddyp »

dino

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2007, 23:25:28 »
yes I saw your changes.

the "normal" c++ gcc4.1 issue,
no map editor (hope to see this one fixed in another way though :)

...hm.

If i started with the svn I wasnt able to run anything because of EOLs in the Linux build files which make me just thinking WTF

so i didn't spend much time with the svn anymore and tried to understand the project (and its structures, who is developing it, is there even someone,... etc) and what glevolution is about, etc etc etc 0:-)

But some talk to RainCT in #glest on the freenode give me some ideas about whats going on here.

I think I will have a look at http://glevolution.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... evolution/ first.

Florian

eddyp

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2007, 08:15:30 »
Quote from: "dino"
yes I saw your changes.
If i started with the svn I wasnt able to run anything because of EOLs in the Linux build files which make me just thinking WTF

Hmm, this is a svn version issue. I haven't checked what changed since 2.0.0.

But some talk to RainCT in #glest on the freenode give me some ideas about whats going on here.

I think I will have a look at http://glevolution.svn.sourceforge.net/ ... evolution/ first.

To me this project looked like a rogue fork since I haven't seen any comments from martinho, which seems to be the main author of the game. I am really reluctant to follow a fork that is not backed up by the original author since forks can lead to userbase fragmentation and unneeded tensions. If I were one of the people working on glevolution I'd try to merge back into glest and use the same SVN project.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by eddyp »

dino

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2007, 08:47:52 »
Quote from: "eddyp"
To me this project looked like a rogue fork since I haven't seen any comments from martinho, which seems to be the main author of the game. I am really reluctant to follow a fork that is not backed up by the original author since forks can lead to userbase fragmentation and unneeded tensions. If I were one of the people working on glevolution I'd try to merge back into glest and use the same SVN project.

I agree! But better to follow a active fork than an inactive original. The userbase is fragmented - like the development as well all ready.

It seems the problem that the official ppl dont wont others to help them / let other continue the game.

btw, you got mail.

Florian

anything