Poll

These modifications are ...

excellent!
2 (100%)
ridiculous or bad
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 17 September 2007, 07:19:52

Author Topic: My modifications  (Read 7428 times)

AqD

My modifications
« on: 16 September 2007, 00:58:10 »
Hi all!

I published all of my glest modifications there: http://http://aquila.deus.googlepages.com/glest

Include changes in source and in factions.

The AI is still stupid so it's best to play against 3 computers. The key of victory is to arrange workers and repositories for fastest resource harvesting, and to build a complete defense system in time.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2007, 07:19:52 by AqD »

killaziller

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2007, 22:06:18 »
Any luck balancing out the units? I don't playing games where you just spam the best unit/weapon.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by killaziller »

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2007, 02:31:42 »
Quote from: "killaziller"
Any luck balancing out the units? I don't playing games where you just spam the best unit/weapon.

Thanks for your comment :wink:) surround ground enemies and attract fire, and then let battlemage to finish them; ninja lord is used to assault catapults or fire archers before they cause too much damage to the main units. The magic armor can only last for 40 seconds in battle and need constant supply; without them, the battlemages would get killed by enemy units easily.

- 3/1 fire archer + spearman/axe_indian, small groups of horseman/wild horseman (indian):

horseman to lure the enemies into the front of massive fire archers, who are protected by spearman/axe_indian. Unlike battlemage, fire archers can also handle heavy tech air units well due to the damage-multiplier for fire on wood armor.

- airship + ornithopter:

Extremely expensive but NOT effective againat air defense towers/units. The best use is to find a secure way directly to the enemy mining place and bombard it.

For magic faction, there is no usable air combat unit. Dragons are too weak and can only be used to harass ground units. However there is also the dark dragon, which is wizard' flying form, to land on islands or places where ground units cannot reach. (I never used that in real battle though)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by AqD »

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2007, 02:56:55 »
You're using my magic pack! That's a good thing. I thought it was going to be the most ridiculous mod ever. But at least my work has been put to use. I hope most people who try it will at least get some entertainment. Another good thing is that you modified the pack. I just started, and advice is always good. In that picture, though, you had a whole bunch of wizards. Have you lowered their resource requirements? I thought the only way that was fair to keep them in the game was by raising their requirements to a very high level. That makes up for their massive damage attacks. My initiate thought when creating the pack was to make the game easier.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by encoish »

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2007, 03:21:09 »
Quote from: "encoish"
You're using my magic pack! That's a good thing. I thought it was going to be the most ridiculous mod ever. But at least my work has been put to use. I hope most people who try it will at least get some entertainment. Another good thing is that you modified the pack. I just started, and advice is always good. In that picture, though, you had a whole bunch of wizards. Have you lowered their resource requirements? I thought the only way that was fair to keep them in the game was by raising their requirements to a very high level. That makes up for their massive damage attacks. My initiate thought when creating the pack was to make the game easier.

In fact I raised their resource requirements by a lot (2000+ gold) :)

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2007, 18:29:21 »
Why, Thank you. I tried to give the wizard many abilities to offset the cost. Anyway, I might make another mod sometime when I have better modeling skills, because, as you see, I only changed the textures and attacks in the mod for I'm quite bad at modeling. Even the textures look primitive. The mod was for a laugh, and maybe it still is. I will look forward to what you create in the future.

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2007, 19:45:48 »
Oh, and it seems like the download link for techs.zip doesn't work. Clicking on it always redirects you to the main page, www.fsphost.com. I really wanted to see what other things you did, as it sounds and looks very interesting. And if fsphost isn't wsorking, try http://http://www.fileden.com/. It works very well, though it has many advertisements. At least it works.

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2007, 21:05:37 »
Wow, that was fast. Now it works. Thanks. I'm downloading it right now.

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2007, 21:08:31 »
And, uh, is this for Linux? If so, is there a possibility for you to create a windows version? I recently messed my linux system up.

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2007, 00:41:31 »
And, uh, is this for Linux? If so, is there a possibility for you to create a windows version? I recently messed my linux system up.

The patch should work for windows too. However, building glest on windows seems to be very troublesome...

PS: I'm trying it now

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2007, 03:57:51 »
Yes, the mod works, but there's a problem to it. Why have you set ep regeneration to 0 on many of the units that require ep to attack? This is essentially disabling the attack. Also, the dark dragon doesn't have an attack skill at all. Were these two things intentional? I mean, if you can't really use the units, you shouldn't put them in. They can be used as decoys, but to many different kinds of decoys isn't necessary. One decoy should be enough for one mod. The mod is done very nicely, though. Good Work! I would start creating new units if I were you  now.

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2007, 12:17:10 »
Yes, the mod works, but there's a problem to it. Why have you set ep regeneration to 0 on many of the units that require ep to attack? This is essentially disabling the attack. Also, the dark dragon doesn't have an attack skill at all. Were these two things intentional? I mean, if you can't really use the units, you shouldn't put them in. They can be used as decoys, but to many different kinds of decoys isn't necessary. One decoy should be enough for one mod. The mod is done very nicely, though. Good Work! I would start creating new units if I were you  now.

Hi!

1.In xml, ep=0 means the unit doesn't need ep and he actually gets ep=1 after borning. Those units whose ep > 0 will vanish when ep decreased to zero after some time of engagement (inc drake, dragon, ninja, ...)

2.dark dragon is intented to land on enemy's base and produce battle units. I re-added the attack skill recently, because magic woud lack useful air units otherwise...

3.The "official" decoy does exist - it's the magic armor: fast moving, 100 armor point and extremely low damage multiplier. It has 0 attack strength and can last in battler for 40 seconds.

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2007, 12:34:50 »
Just had a game with AI: 1 tech vs 3 tech in up_hill_war.

I rushed the 1st AI and captured the mine fields, but later the combined forces of the remaining two destroyed more than 150 of my armored swordman and horseman (fully-upgraded). However, the AIs then stopped attacking while i'm on the edge of defeat....

TODOs for the AI:
- conditional mass attack based on calculated enemy status
- optimize mining workers for maximum efficiency

I dunno how to do them though, especially the later one. It's quite complex even for human brains...

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2007, 16:31:43 »
No, I mean that in the magic faction, units like the daemon or dark golem have an ep regeneration of 0, so the daemon when it starts out, can't attack because attacks have a requirement of 100 ep while it has 0. You should give these units an ep regeneration. If you create the dark golem though, it starts with a certain amount of ep which will soon be used up. Is that what you mean by "all summoned units vanish when running out of ep" ?

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2007, 08:27:58 »
No, I mean that in the magic faction, units like the daemon or dark golem have an ep regeneration of 0, so the daemon when it starts out, can't attack because attacks have a requirement of 100 ep while it has 0. You should give these units an ep regeneration. If you create the dark golem though, it starts with a certain amount of ep which will soon be used up. Is that what you mean by "all summoned units vanish when running out of ep" ?

Ah, because you're NOT using my modified glest binary. The new mods are supposed to work ONLY ON my patched glest  ;)

encoish

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2007, 18:58:30 »
ohhh... I get it now. Oops. Well, I am using windows so I can't run your modified binaries. Well, sorry for bugging you. I should have looked harder.

AqD

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 6 October 2007, 11:55:51 »