Author Topic: Glest Expansions  (Read 6300 times)

aaron.boxerman

Glest Expansions
« on: 11 November 2007, 20:02:59 »
Hi. I'm new here. I just wanted to ask persmission to create a full scale expansion to Glest. I've already started. So far, I have:

* THREE new factions
* A single player campaign
* A $100, 50,000 player, multiplayer server
* Amazing graphics(I was helped by a friend who is a lead developer for World of Warcraft)
* And 20 new maps and scenarios

Also, could I have some HELP!!!!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by aaron.boxerman »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2007, 02:50:51 »
Wow, sounds great. Did you get multiplayer working or is it just an engine? Other requests to do things have been accepted so I'm assuming it would be ok.

Depends what you need help with.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2007, 12:36:24 »
Santa Clause is coming  :lol:  :O

OK, I don't believe it, where is the download ....
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

aaron.boxerman

Glest Expansion
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2007, 22:33:59 »
First, to hailstone: Mainly its creating the campaign engine. Have you ever played Hexen II or Hammer of Thyrion. I believe the term is third person shooter I just keep hitting walls wherever I go.  Yes I do have multiplayer working, and I'm working on a system that you can offer a"challenge" along a network, or if I can't do that, on the forums. There will be IDs like 13533 and you can fight if they are online. I also need some help making a good storyline. I made one earlier, when I looked in background on the website, it all this stuff about the will which I had absoulutely no idea exisited.

Second, to titi. It's not available yet :( . I expect that maybe the Alpha will be out by January.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by aaron.boxerman »

glest_pwnage

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2007, 21:50:42 »
well dang hurry lol =p =p
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by glest_pwnage »

Darkziel

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2007, 23:19:37 »
well if you can do things like that i think we all will thank you... since glest it's a great game and it NEEDS to progress
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Darkziel »

aaron.boxerman

-
« Reply #6 on: 13 December 2007, 02:27:36 »
To glest_pwnage: Frankly, I'm doing this for the whole community of Glest, and you're giving me some serious doubts. :'( 

To Darkziel: Thanks!

Um... here's a render:

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dae0.jpg 

It's from the 3rd Person shooter campaign engine. If anyone has any experience with modeling and animating, could they email me at: aaron.boxerman-^-gmail.com because I could use some help with all the things I'm working on.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 20:46:49 by filux »

deathguppie

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2007, 03:23:39 »
The screen you showed,  looks to have bump mapping, per pixel lighting, fog, and perhaps parralax attenuation.

I'd be willing to help, but there are a lot of questions I'd have like.  

are you still using g3d-rvk for character export/animation?

What about textures, are you still using tga files?

are you still using the same map system, or real levels?
    (by real levelss I mean modeled mesh world)

what are the factions, and what do you have accomplished/need to do?

will it be cross platform?

will there be source code available?

Will all models have bump mapping available?

What about specular maps?

[/color]

These are just the basic questions.  but of course you know that to work on any types of modeling or graphics, the engine must be available to use for testing.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by deathguppie »

aaron.boxerman

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 27 December 2007, 21:28:06 »
To Deathguppie:

I'm using G3D for the main game, and Torque for the campaign engine. It's actually best that I'm using Torque, because that sets up Multiplayer automatically for you.  I'm now using Real Levels, not just the map system. The factions are Myth and Dark. There are three, techincally, because Tech has now been revamped into rockets and lasers. I have Tech and Dark accomplished. Myth needs a little more work at the moment. The campaign is currently in the design phase. I also am working on a PvP arena through Multiplayer, where you can customize a character and duel with another. Yes, it will be cross platform. Windows will be first, then a Linux version, then Macintosh. Of course it will be open source! As many models as I can do will have bump mapping.
I need help with developing the campaign engine, the Myth Faction, and the Arena.
Beta will out by Mid-January

EDIT: I forgot. This is some art I've made: Here

EDIT2: Below...Torque and the Glest engines.The RTS part will have the extra factions. The campaign will do otherwise as being a third person shooter.

EDIT3: That's it.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 22:45:18 by aaron.boxerman »

charlieg

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 27 December 2007, 22:19:39 »
Ok, some important points to be made here.

1. This is not a Glest expansion or mod - you state you are using Torque and it's an FPS.  It has, other than perhaps the setting, no actual connection to the game Glest.  It is a separate game.

2. So far you have 20 maps, 3 new factions, and amazing graphics.  Perhaps, instead of words (nobody knows who you are, you have to earn credibility not assume it) you could show some images.  Those you have shown so far are very basic terrain renders and do not back up your claims to such extensive artwork for the game.

3. If you have used any Glest material or code, you need to release this in source format along with your game, these are the terms of the GPL license under which Glest was released.

Please do not mistake my attempt to explain things as being cynical.  There are many people who desire or claim to create entire games, but in reality only a small few can back up their words with game releases.  You are better off doing what titi and the other mod developers here do and release regular screenshots / downloads of your work, that way you will gain credilibity and people will have a reason to believe what you say.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by charlieg »

deathguppie

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2007, 06:10:06 »
I do understand what charlieg is saying..

I would love to work on a new expansion of glest, regardless of what direction.. (ie not my own)

.. and I do own a torque license, however.  I cannot see how what you are talking about can be open source.  If I didn't own a torque license could I even develop for the game you are talking about??

The licensing issue is real because most of these people will not want to pay the money I did for torque, and one of the reasons I wanted to work on an open source engine is the knowledge that I could have other people working on the game with me.

PS.  That looks great, are you using torque 1.4 or 1.5 for rendering?

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2007, 15:09:57 »
I used Torque Game Builder in high school and it really put me off their products. I ended up using python instead to create the game project.

Crystal Space with/or Allegro could be good. Haven't looked into it much though.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

deathguppie

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 1 January 2008, 00:48:02 »
I've used Crystal Space, it actually has a much more advanced rendering engine than Torque does.  However it does leave a few things to be desired.  Like the 40 bone limit on skeletal animation :(

alexjustdoit

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2008, 21:32:30 »
Beautiful!
Can't wait!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by alexjustdoit »

anything