Author Topic: Compiling on Ubuntu 7.10 (success w/ issues)  (Read 3362 times)

faulkes

Compiling on Ubuntu 7.10 (success w/ issues)
« on: 21 December 2007, 16:36:34 »
First things first, I tried downloading the source from sourceforge (zip files), this failed horribly even after using dos2unix.

1.  Get the trunk from svn, for those not familiar with svn, install kdesvn and point it to https://glest.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/glest and get the trunk.  If you aren't familiar with svn, well, you'll need to figure it out.

2. Make sure you satisfy the requirements (docs/README.linux) and of note, at least on my system I had to install automake 1.7 (1.10, 1.9 etc didn't work and always gave errors), jam and all the associated libraries/dev stuff.

3. Create the configure script using the autogen.sh file (sometimes I found this file not executable, so "sh autogen.sh" or "chmod +x autogen.sh")

4. ./configure - if it fails, satisfy any of the requirements it is bitching about (SDL, Vorbis seem to be the most common).

5. run jam per docs/README.linux

6. Move everything that is in the data directories into the trunk/source/glest_game directory - this includes the compiled binary (glest) and the glest.ini file.

7. Edit the glest.ini to suit your needs, in particular at the bottom is an option for windowed mode, it is set to 0, setting this to 1 will bring the game up in windowed mode which is probably best for testing.

8. Like others, there are issues with the first two screen options relating to camera children (anyone solve this yet?) which won't allow you to start a game or to join a network game.  

9. You can play the scenarios vs. the AI, select that (iirc 3rd or 4th option down).  Watch out for the day/night settings, this will turn the screen almost black making it really hard to see your units, adjust as needed.

If you do have issues, following the above, feel free to PM me or post to the forums.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by faulkes »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2007, 15:33:41 »
8. Yes. It has been solved. Search the forum.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

anything