Poll

Would you enjoy these units in Glest?

Yes, sounds great!
16 (64%)
Yes, but certain parts were pretty stupid.
7 (28%)
No, that's the stupidest idea that I've ever heard.
1 (4%)
No, but some parts sounded good.
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 28 December 2007, 10:17:45

Author Topic: Idea for New Units  (Read 22995 times)

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: 13 February 2008, 05:28:02 »
Quote from: "daniel.santos"
the problem is just that we haven't found anyone who will compile it who has windows and MS Visual Studio.
If your still not able to find anyone to do it I could give it a shot. The university supplied me with a copy of MS Visual Studio 2005 (I think that was the version) and I have Windows XP. I prefer not to use Windows if I can help it.

Quote from: "daniel.santos"
Pretty much though, it looks like we're going to create a fork for the mods to the engine. We still need a name for it. Another goofy thought: "Extra Glestrial" LMAO!

I think it would be good so that Martino can see the mods in action and add the features to the mainline if he wanted to. It seems that he is really busy so it would be best if we moved forward with a fork. Perhaps a new thread would be appropriate?

PS: Nice work wciow  :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: 13 February 2008, 07:20:41 »
Thanks hailstone, I'm going to ask my co-worker tomorrow, but I'll be out of town from Thursday to next Tuesday (vacation, hurray!)  I posted a new thread on the mod.  I'm pretty anxious for wciow to get a chance to try it out.

wciow, I tested the necro & his minions a bit earlier, they seem to be working decently.  The necromancer can morph into a lich while he has minions, and this makes a very powerful unit, but the skeletal minions eventually die because the lich doesn't have the emanation that keeps them alive as the necromancer does.  However, I'm thinking to leave the zombie giant so that he doesn't deteriorate like the skeletons do, so that you can end up with a lich that has a zombie giant for a minion.  However, it's a one shot deal, if he dies, he's gone and the lich doesn't have the ability to heal his minions like the necromancer does.  The necromancer is still lacking a spell/attack or ability to do mass healing, which I think would be cool and the skeletons still can't burrow/submerge.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: 13 February 2008, 12:25:31 »
daniel.santos wrote:
the problem is just that we haven't found anyone who will compile it who has windows and MS Visual Studio.

If your still not able to find anyone to do it I could give it a shot. The university supplied me with a copy of MS Visual Studio 2005 (I think that was the version) and I have Windows XP. I prefer not to use Windows if I can help it.

If you still can't find anybody to compile it with, I could try compiling it with my borland and windows tools. I could work.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: 14 February 2008, 00:27:01 »
Yeah that Lich loks way more convincing then the last one.
Good work.

But did you know that Lich actually is just a derivation of the german Leiche and thus nothing more then another word for corpse? (wikipedia)
So it could actually be anything. In the past it was for example a term used for all undeads.

The first definition of a Lich like we now today probably came with D&D.
A very twisted atempt at becomming immotal so that one can continue his studies.
According to that defininition he probably shouldn't loose his ability to summon minions but rather call even more or stronger ones.

The way you have the Lich now, he himself has to be substantially stronger than the Necro to not be a downgrade.

Just got an idea: if you want to include a black battle mage as well, he could have the ability to become Lich too, with the Lich then being a combination of Necro and black mage.
(becaus in a single life you have not enough time to study both, but a Lich has endless time)

A different aspect: have you sonsidered to give the base tree a workover as well? Because it somehow seems weird for the demoncallers to suddenly become treehuggers (;
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: 14 February 2008, 01:16:57 »
A different aspect: have you sonsidered to give the base tree a workover as well? Because it somehow seems weird for the demoncallers to suddenly become treehuggers (;

Yea, I was thinking we could modify Hell Gate so that it requires a necromancer tower, but this throws off the balance in the pre-path choice time frame.  This still leaves the problem with the daemon.  The daemon serves multiple purposes:  it's an inexpensive melee unit that can protect ranged casters and they are excellent (and cheap) scouts with good speed and sight.  The skeleton isn't supposed to compete as a scout for many reasons.  I'm not sure that it makes sense to move the daemon to a later stage in the tech tree because more powerful units will be available by then, mostly the necromancer's skeletons that are the same price.  In short, I'm not entirely certain how to deal with this minor discrepancy in plot.  However, on the path of nature, the treant will replace the behemoth once we get to that point.

I really respect the original Glest team.  It is an incredible amount of work making these tech trees work, be balanced and fun at the same time.  Since the "tech" faction isn't built up yet (I only have the abbey and monk made so far), I can't really start doing much to check the balance.  Also, the AI isn't progressing through the tech tree fast enough.

But back to the Lich, I'm personally open.  I was really kinda hoping to get the basics together and get enough interest from the community that the feedback from there would shape it into what is the most fun, so I appreciate the feedback.  One thing I've discovered with the Lich's withering despair attack is that he has a strong defense since it slows the rate of movement and make it harder to kill him, he usually dies from archers.  Right now, withering despair does 25 damage/tick and reduces movement speed to 62% for 5 seconds to all units within a radius, but doesn't effect allies.  It also doesn't stack, rather it will extend any previous withering despair effect, which prevents multiple liches from becoming complete killers.  But another problem is that with only 400 hit points, it's often hard to switch his attack to the one that will regenerate his health (currently called "soul steal") before he dies.

But if we let the Lich continue to summon minions, we'll just have to (again) make sure that the cost vs reward is balanced.  Right now, a necromancer with all of his minions is a fairly brutal force, even with his crappy attack.  I haven't gotten to play against the ai running these units yet because it takes so long for it to progress to that point.  When I'm back from vacation, maybe I can get somebody to play me online (and also find out if I broke that! :) )

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: 14 February 2008, 17:41:14 »
Daniel, I think your assessment of the daemon is right. It is essentially a scouting unit which can also be used as a quick and cheap meat-shield.

My personal view of the skeleton unit is that they are a kind of personal meat-shield for necro's/lich's. They have to stay close to the necro so they are not effective for scouting. Basically the necro/skeleton comco can be seen as one large unit with the necro as its 'head'.

I think the biggest problem for the necro/lich is archers (as you said). Players will just be able to target all their archers on the necro and ignore the minions.

Also, you said that the treant will 'replace' the behemoth? does this mean that the behemoth will effectively be subsituted for either a treant or a zombie giant depending on what rout you take?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

DrJekyll

(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: 16 February 2008, 07:13:14 »
nice ideas since im still twinking with the blender program maybe sometime later i can help
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by DrJekyll »

BrainDamaged

-
« Reply #57 on: 16 February 2008, 13:36:44 »
hi
nice ideas. the necromancer looks great! but al the cloths are just black, maybe you could rework the texture. maybe you could add somethink like that:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/Ph3lan/newnec2.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 23:26:35 by filux »

michchar

(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: 16 February 2008, 17:17:27 »
i have an idea for another path of magic-path of elements. units-fire mage, ice mage, etc. also should have titan (really strong version of golem but can barely move) (needs more units  if this is to work)

Agree? or Disagree? and if you disagree, can you state the reasons?
if you agree, feel free to add new ideas
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by michchar »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: 16 February 2008, 18:17:49 »
@Brain damaged: Yes that looks good I'll redo the skin :)

[/img]
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

vahron

-
« Reply #60 on: 17 February 2008, 22:15:46 »
Its been ages since I last visited these forums...

I've been working on a unit over the last couple of days for the "holy" faction thing (using blender + gimp):
(this is with the 256*256 texture)
[url=http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=divinebladecg0.png][img]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3764/divinebladecg0.th.png[/img][/url]
Here's the original texture file (512*512):
[url=http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=divinebladeweildertextucy8.png][img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9216/divinebladeweildertextucy8.th.png[/img][/url]
I haven't got around to animating it yet, but i might do at some point if i get round to it :confused:

cheers, criticism welcomed =]

edit: forgot to ask - does the model need to be made up of triangles still, or can polys be used?
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 23:27:00 by filux »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: 18 February 2008, 00:14:55 »
Wow, thats a really good model! You obviously have some good texturing skills!

Any contributions to the mod would be welcome :D

Also, models must be converted to triangles in blender before they can be exported.

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: 18 February 2008, 11:54:42 »
Realy good, only the texture for the sword is a little small compared to the rest, it gets blurred on the mesh.

vahron

(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: 19 February 2008, 11:34:50 »
cheers =]

If I have a spare moment i'll try and sort out the sword...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by vahron »

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: 20 February 2008, 18:50:38 »
Could you post the model and texture?

And BTW, the feet are a bit large.

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #65 on: 21 February 2008, 21:07:57 »
Here is the new monk model:

I have been busy making a new tropical style tileset recently so I haven't been doing much for the FPM mod but I should have some more stuff done soon :)

As always, crits and comments welcome!

Edit: I have changed the face to a new one. It looks a bit feminine but is less cartoony than the old one.
« Last Edit: 7 October 2016, 23:27:36 by filux »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: 22 February 2008, 16:05:27 »
Just perfect I think.

The borders could be made teamcolor.

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: 22 February 2008, 19:13:23 »
You might want to redo the face. It looks wierd. :confused:

~Zaggy

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: 23 February 2008, 02:14:58 »
First off, sorry for the long post, I got behind on this thread.  Wow, so much feedback and even more art contributions, this is awesome!

Jesus, @BrainDamaged@, that Lich looks bad ass like that! :(  which I really hate because it's a well done unit and I want the original magitech to be as complete as possible.  Perhaps we can replace it with a very similar summoned unit like an imp (which fits more gracefully into a "natural magic" concept), a wood or clay golumn (which would probably be too slow) or some other high mobility unit with good sight, short (melee) attack range and moderately week defense & offense.  Even better would be something that could grow into either subfaction, perhaps being adapted slightly with some enhancement, causing them to retain their usefulness.  If that is done, it's important that they don't conflict with the role of the skeleton.

Skeletons are kinda slow (190 speed right now, 205 after the upgrade), have very poor sight and deteriorate when away from their masters.  But after they are upgraded they are actually more powerful meat shields than the daemons, especially against archers (I gave them armor type of "bone" which is highly resistant to damage type "piercing").  If we replace the daemon, my thought is that the corruption path adaptation should augment what differentiates them from skeletons, perhaps faster movement.  AH! I got it!!  Whatever the alignment-neutral replacement for the daemon is, they can be sacrificed and turned into "ghasts", which move faster, have less HPs, greater sight and a chance of not being seen, so they can be employed as spies while still being useful (although far from ideal) as a very temporary meat (etheral?) shield.  The ghasts should also probably be particularly vulnerable when away from their "haunting grounds."  Perhaps they can become "pets" of the graveyard where they are created (from the sacrifice) and a similar, long range emanation from the graveyard causes them to be stronger and regenerate when within 25 spaces or so, but be very vulnerable and not regenerate when outside of that range?  Then, on the nature side, they could morph into some kind of more advanced forest protector/dweller unit where they go the opposite direction, more HP and attack, but still greater guile (and perhaps travel through trees).

I'm just brainstorming, so I'm not set on any of this.

Quote from: "michchar"
i have an idea for another path of magic-path of elements. units-fire mage, ice mage, etc. also should have titan (really strong version of golem but can barely move) (needs more units if this is to work)

Agree? or Disagree? and if you disagree, can you state the reasons?
if you agree, feel free to add new ideas

@michchar@, that sounds like natural magic, which would probably fit in well with the natural magic theme.  I was thinking of that faction more along the lines of druids, tree huggers, maybe forest rangers, hippie elf types, but perhaps a little of this would go nicely.  Then it could even be implemented as a separate subfaction, "Path of Element" perhaps.  The existing magitech follows this theme somewhat with the battlemages shooting fire balls, archmage with an ice attack, etc.  That gives me another idea for a daemon replacement though, a lessor elemental or some type and a "Path of Element" would be able to expound upon that concept.  Just remember that the more factions/subfactions we introduce, the more work it will take to balance them all.  If they aren't well balanced people will tend to play the stronger factions and then you loose the diversity.  So ditto wciow's response about adding more work, but I think some ideas can be borrowed from that for the nature path.

@vahron@, I think you posted this elsewhere as a death knight?  I love the textures!  It doesn't fit well IMO with a "holy knight" just yet (the textures), I think it needs more whites and such.  I think the old "holy knights" of lore actually wore these mostly white tunics or shirts over their armor with their holy symbols on it.  I don't want anything to look Christian, although we are hinting at the era of the Christian crusades.  I agree that the boots needs to be a little smaller and I think that most of the rest is kick ass!!  Also, I don't think the sword fits at all with a "holy knight", which sucks because it's perfect as a weapon of a more sinister character.  I'm thinking that the weapon of a holy knight should be a single bladed, 2 handed long sword that is slimmer and shiny, like silvery or chrome-ish.  Also, if you did use that kind of sword for a death-knight type character, I would hope it would have some magical properties, because it's looks too cumbersome otherwise.  But here is where a death knight comes to life, the "unholiness" in  him enables him to wield such a large "unholy" weapon and it's not at all out of character, where as a holy knight lacks such ability to harm and instead is bestowed with more protectiveness and healing gifts.

If you could pull of some textures of this quality oriented in a more "churchy" look but the same kind of very nice decorations, it could work really well.  (and don't get me wrong, I love all you Christians out there, but it's certainly not for me! :) (jeeze, I'm glad I'm not posting any of my artwork!!)  First, for the decorations on the belt, hymns, etc., I think we need to come up with some holy symbol for our church goers.  This way, we can reuse this motif or motifs throughout the subfaction.  My original thought on the monk was a crusty old guy, but I like this approach much better.  A more feminine face can be just fine, and we may even consider randomly creating male and female monks (so when you create one, you don't know which gender you will get).  They could have the same capabilities or slightly different.  I would prefer if their hood was down around their shoulders.  Somehow, I think that if we're going to go with the hood up, it makes them more mysterious and less affable and monks are supposed to be devoting their lives to their deity and the service of mankind.  Also, his arms are sticking out just a little bit.  I hate having so many criticisms, but we criticized your Lich and it came out awesome! :)  So you specify the subfactions (if any) in the faction.xml file and then you can restrict units, upgrades and commands to particular factions.  You can also specify that the production (either start of production or end of production) of a unit, building, upgrade or morph will trigger an advancement to another subfaction.  Rather than greying out commands including those to build/production/upgrade/morph that are not available in the current faction, they simply do not appear at all.  Thus, with the extmagitech faction, You only see the abilities to produce either a necromancer tower or a grove.  Once one of those is produced, the other goes away and you only see icons to build units/buildings, etc of that subfaction.  The cool part is that you can use this for Age of Empire / Empire Earth-like progressions as well (but there's no model changes that happen).  I'll post windows binaries as soon as I get to building them.  It's merged with r126 from the mainline, so we get the startup command line parameters too.

vahron

(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: 27 February 2008, 18:41:32 »
woah - sorry for being away for so long =/

@ZaggyDad - I'll try to remember to post the model in a few mins. Yer - i guess the feet are a bit big actually...

@wciow - The monk model looks great, but the texture is a bit...urr....to clean? If you post the texture i'll try and edit it a bit.

@daniel.santos - I don't think i posted it elsewhere :o .yeah - it might not be completely suitable. The sword there was intended to be two handed, just it's a pain to animate characters if they're pre-posed. I agree though, i think a single blade might be more apropriate.

Texturing is my strong point, so i can have a go at that monk texture if yer want.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: 27 February 2008, 21:39:26 »
Hi Vahron, its nice to see you're still intrested in the project.

I would be happy for you to have a go at texturing some of the models for the project. This would free up more time for me to work on modeling and animating.

Texturing is definetly the weakest part of my 3D skills and judging by what you have posted you could do alot better!

I'll try to get all my current textures posted so you can take a look at them :-[

Btw discussion of the mod has now moved to the 'official' four path magitech thread.

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: 2 March 2008, 21:58:30 »
At Vahron: Where is it? :P

~Zaggy

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: 2 March 2008, 22:54:47 »
@vahron@, I would be very excited to have you on our project.  I personally like the clean look of the monk texture, but I think I understand what you mean, so please don't let me get in the way.  As long as he doesn't come out looking like he's been shoveling poo. :) ).  I'll let you guys sort that out, but that's my two cents.

As far as posting it elsewhere, maybe I'm hallucinating or I saw it in a dream (I do that sometimes and then get confused when it shows up for real).

We started a new thread named "Four Path Magitech."  I screwed up the code bigtime (units weren't attacking) but I finally fixed it so I'll try to get an update out today.

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #73 on: 3 March 2008, 01:36:04 »
DrJekyll posted a Death Knight though a mounted one, maybe you confused that.

vahron

(No subject)
« Reply #74 on: 3 March 2008, 18:08:08 »
ok guys - sorry about the wait. I have all my models on another pc (without internet) and kept meaning to transfer the files over, but kept forgetting :confused:

anyway - the model is now (finally) posted in the main thread...

anything