Author Topic: Norsemen Beta Release  (Read 6489 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
Norsemen Beta Release
« on: 4 January 2008, 10:49:37 »
There is a Beta Release now.
http://http://www.titusgames.de

Please give us your comments in this thread.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Baida

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 4 January 2008, 11:50:25 »
I just tested the beta, that's really cool.
You did a great job  :) That's normal for a Beta... :D

- The animation of the worker when they build buildings is a bit slow too.

- Spearsmen and swordmen also could be improved, that's what I think...

Otherwise, others things are cool too, but in general I would like to see more braids, beards and etc... they are vikings no ???   :D

Keep up the good work.

Baïda
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Baida »

A

YOUR BETA RELEASE HAS ONE FLAW
« Reply #2 on: 4 January 2008, 15:43:04 »
The training field upgrade is not to be found. So fyingvalkyrie has no hold position. The icon says need training field and not lit up. But there is no training field upgrade to be found in any building.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by A »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 8 January 2008, 15:55:03 »
Thanks for the feedback!
1. Quality of animations: We are all beginners and these are our first models / animations. We do what we can here. But I think it's better to release things like this, than no new factions isn't it? For example the flying valkyrie is my first animated model!

2. trainingsfield is indeed missing thank you for that!

What we need most are thoughts about:
- unit strength
- unit building times
- unit requirements
to get the things balanced and interisting.
( always remember: simple tech trees are better for the AIs! )
If you know the xml structure of glest you can setup your ideas there and try it! It's easy to learn!

By the way:
Damn, this multiplayer glest is really attractive!( but it costs a lot of time!)
If you also want to play come to the irc channels http://www.glest.org/glest_board/viewto ... 6&start=15
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

A

as far as
« Reply #4 on: 8 January 2008, 17:42:38 »
the streinth goes i go into the xml file and increase the values. just need to be able to hold position on all units. as far as strinth goes let each person set there own vakues using the xml files for each unit. i myself set flying units to 3500 hit points with 5 promotions in streninth staring at 10 ending at 50. as far as defence unit that can't move i set there value at 10000 with 10 promotions starting at 10 eding at 100. it makes for a challenge even when the ai makes to many workers not enough worriors. i also change the starting units to give all factions 1 flying unit and 1 defence tower like tower of souls. i also gave defence unit like tower of souls the ability to fire on ground units as well as air. i have done this for all the factions so none have a anvantage over the other. the number one thing on my problem list no training field to hold position on flying units thied seting up the command in the xml fils but iy sats can't read the traininh field bmp. so if you can please fix as soon as possible one more thing northsman need at least one long range fighting unit instead on all short range. because if you go up against magic or indian with its golems the short range shooters of northsman faction are cut down before they get into attack range

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2008, 20:37:01 »
The spearman's attack I think should be lessened a bit, because you just need a bit of money and you can almost defeat your enemy with them. (That's just my opinion ;) .)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2008, 10:05:01 »
yes thats what I think too, I will also remove the wizard. Magic tree and walhalla will be build by normal workers. The development in this faction is too slow at the moment. This will speedup the way to the flying valkyrie.

A

YOU ARE MAKING THINGS WORSE
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2008, 17:17:04 »
the golems on magic and indian faction will tear the northsman apart. the magic tree is the only real defence the northsmen have. i've played sample games with them all ready and if you have northsman and the AI has magic or indian you are history. once firegolems by indian comes at you it is all over. plus indian thunder bird is more powerful than the northsman flying unit. i am trying to balance the power a little more i added the indian firegolem to the northsman units. it is easy if you have the indian faction just copy the firegolem file to the northsman folder units folder. then go into the firegolem folder in the northsman unit you made and change the requirements to house and wizard and change the housing requirement to food requirement. then go into thrull xml file find where it says buildings it builds and add firegolem. i've done it it works. but if you keep weeking the northsman by your sugestions there will never be away to balance the factions power. so if you want to change anything add units big hit points units to northsman not take units away.

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2008, 23:30:06 »
i'm wondering that's only me who had XML problems when starting a game. maybe because i'm using the latest svn with the game data from it (rev90).

that's one of four error messages i received:
Code: [Select]
Couldn't process event: Error loading Faction Types: techs/magitech
Error loading units: techs/magitech/factions/norsemen
Error loading UnitType: techs/magitech/factions/norsemen/units/archer/archer.xml
Attack Type not found: arrow
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
btw, segfault is not the best abort, could be better.  ::)

i've changed "techs/magitech/magitech.xml" in the following way:
<attack-types>
    <attack-type name="arrow"/>
    <attack-type name="magic"/>
    <attack-type name="sword"/>
</attack-types>

<armor-types>
   <armor-type name="plate"/>
</armor-types>

after adding these lines i was able to play. i don't know about the multipliers.

and the faction is really looking great, great units and buildings. really cool.
as mentioned before, mass spearmen is the winner tactic. this guy is really a bit too strong.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Yggdrasil »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22 January 2008, 00:02:01 »
Just make sure you install the game in a clean folder, this looks like you have overwritten something.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 22 January 2008, 02:33:58 »
Really liked the mod, especially the building designs :) nice designs and visual on most of the units. Animations on the units varied a bit, some (mainly the thrulls) need work, most of them were ok though.

The Thor unit works really well but needs more staying power (like the golem  for magic)

Valkyrie units seemed a bit underpowered.

The viking army seems a bit overpowered against buildings. I don't know if this is due to one specific unit but they seem to destroy buildings quicker than tech and magic.

Overall I think the units need a little more definition since there a alot of units which are very similar (spearman/swordman/battleaxe/cudgel/valkiyrie/thor) .
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2008, 11:09:22 »
Thank you all for your posts.
I will update the norsemen when I find some time.
They are only glest 2.0.x ready now. If you install it in a newer version of glest it will crash with things like:

Attack Type not found: arrow

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2008, 12:01:18 »
Hi,

Have you thought about grouping your factions together in a new tech tree? something like "Ancient tribes" or similar? That way you could keep them isolated so changes to the magitech tech tree would not affect them, and also you could balance them on your own, i think it also makes sense since they are in the same kind of context.

You could also create your own attack/armor types that make sense for it.

Of course the downside is that you would not be able to play against magic or tech factions.

Just an idea ;).

Martiño.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2008, 15:33:42 »
Yes, I thought about it, but I think I would copy the techs and the magics too to get a new techtree. This would result in a big package and I'm afraid my provider would not be so lucky with it ;) .

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2008, 23:09:48 »
don't copy the data. make symbolic links and deliver only the modified xml files. i've tested it and it works fine.

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2008, 07:39:00 »
what do you mean? Should we make relative links whitch can be added just by uncompressing the archive? I'm not quite sure how i can do this.

Anather thought: you put the links in the xml-files? as the relation of the folders should be always the same. But the you have the problem that the original files are in another techtree and they are probably not loaded?

How did you do it?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2008, 09:07:31 »
if you want to be undependend and not affected by changes, links are not a solution! And there is also something called WINDOWS :) .

Yggdrasil

• GAE Team
  • Ornithopter
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2008, 15:47:03 »
Quote from: "weedkiller"
How did you do it?

i just made a quick try by linking to the whole folders of the magitech factions and their resources. so, i created a new tech tree and added the norsemen and the indians. linking was done with the following commands:

in the folder "factions":
ln -s ../../magitech/factions/magic/ magic
ln -s ../../magitech/factions/tech/ tech
in the folder "resources":
ln -s ../../magitech/resources/energy/ energy
ln -s ../../magitech/resources/food/ food
ln -s ../../magitech/resources/gold/ gold
ln -s ../../magitech/resources/stone/ stone
ln -s ../../magitech/resources/wood/ wood

now you can start glest and choose your tech tree with all four factions.

i propose only to link to folders which hold media files like models or images and deliver your own xml files. then you can balance all the factions independently from the original tech tree. you only depend on the media files and i think they aren't changing that often in a way your mod gets broken.

yeah, windows could be a problem. i don't know how the links work there. but then, just make a batch script which copies the media files. don't package things which are already there. that's my opinion.

erandur

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2008, 16:19:17 »
Not bad, not bad at all. However they do seem slightly overpowered :) I do like the idea of a semi-worker and semi-summoner unit! Just don't make them too strong.
I also needed to adjust the .xml files, but it was worth it! At least after draining some powers from the sows :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by erandur »

A

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 11 February 2008, 23:33:20 »
i don't know if anyone else has figure out that changing the starting units changes how the AI fights with the faction Exaple give nothsman a flyingvalkyrie and the AI acts different than without that unit at start. Try it you will see. I,ve found if you give any faction to many offenceave units at start the AI wont build much if at all and will spend those units and have a tenace not to make any more. Now some of this depends on witch map you use and what staring units you start the faction with just thought you might want to know and do as i do change starting units and when you find a mix you like stick with those starting units

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2008, 08:23:27 »
Quote from: "Yggdrasil"
yeah, windows could be a problem.

Maybe there could be a plain text file that points to the location, that way it would work in Linux and Windows. (eg. tech.link file with '../../magitech/factions/tech/' in it)

It would need to be fixed up in the source though.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/