Author Topic: Problematic Compiling  (Read 2194 times)

betonboor

Problematic Compiling
« on: 11 January 2008, 19:56:11 »
Hi,

I've just downloaded glest and it's great! I've downloaded the source and followed the instructions to compile but it doesn't really work (lots of errors/warnings). Also the instructions tell me to add certain files to the project while there are a lot more files (for instance you should add "graphics/gl", but what about "graphics/gl2"??). Maybe i'm trying to compile a newer version and the instructions are for the old version??

I'm using Visual Studio 2005. If anyone could upload a project setup (with files) or tell me which files actually should be added to the project in the latest version, I would be really gratefull!!

Thanks,
betonboor
« Last Edit: 12 January 2008, 23:33:09 by betonboor »

AF

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2008, 11:09:08 »
+1

Or at least instructions that actually work.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by AF »

betonboor

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2008, 23:50:54 »
Anyone? :s I really need glest up and running within less than a month.

I know this is a community driven game, so I can't expect service/support.
However: I would really really really appreciate it if someone can give me compiling instructions on the latest version (2.0.1)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by betonboor »

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 15 January 2008, 01:13:51 »
Hello,

There is a lot of information on how to compile Glest on the board (http://www.glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?t=2538). Of course you need a bit of knowledge about programming. It is just a matter of adding all the files in VS.NET, getting all the libraries and setup a few include paths. It is pretty standard programming stuff.  Sorry if we don't provide a VS.NET project but there is enough information on this site for people with a bit of programming experience to be able to build their own.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

AF

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2008, 17:40:18 »
The dependencies are both out of date and have broken links, the directions are ambiguous and after managing to follow the results you end up with silly errors that suggest either it was never tested in a windows compiler or built in linux with mingw. Something todo with LPCSTR parameters and converting from char* or std::string not being possible.

It would be a very good idea to out a visual studio project in the svn, if only to prevent a large amount of tedious work that is entirely preventable and totally unnecessary, after all the project is about 5 or so files, less than 100kb altogether usually a vcproj and an sln file, and the rest can be auto generated by VC++ at the other end.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by AF »

betonboor

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2008, 20:50:52 »
The compiling instructions are good and well written. It's just that they are simply outdated. I've managed to get all the dependencies (even with the broken links, just google) however I still can't get it to compile because I can't follow the compiling instructions.

If anyone can setup a small Visual Studio Project for version 2.0.1 (so that I know what files should be added and where they should be added) and upload it I would be really gratefull!

Thanks,
betonboor
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by betonboor »

anything