Author Topic: Problem with user, driver, or hardware?  (Read 4336 times)

wyoPBS

Problem with user, driver, or hardware?
« on: 2 February 2008, 22:42:35 »
Hardware is an ATI Radeon 7000 on an AMD Sempron 3100+ with 512MB RAM.  Linux kernel is 2.6.23.14 with x.org 1.4.0.90, OpenGL 1.3 on Mesa 7.0.1.

Gameplay - even the main menu at startup - is extremely slow, as though there is no GL driver running at all.  The biggest problem is the mouse... the cursor movement usually lags behind the mouse movement by several seconds, and then suddenly shoots across the screen seemingly at random.

I thought there might be something wrong with the driver, so I installed the current flavor of tuxracer and that ol' penguin flies along chomping down his herring with no degradation in speed.  glxgears returns an average fps of around 272 - not spectacular, but at least it works smoothly.

Turning off 3d textures made only the slightest bit of difference... at least now I can eventually get the mouse pointer to rest on the "Exit" option to shut down the game.

Does this sound like a stupid user error (likely), a known problem with that card, a driver error, something else I can fix?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wyoPBS »

jrepan

Re: Problem with user, driver, or hardware?
« Reply #1 on: 3 February 2008, 09:28:57 »
What says "glxinfo |grep direct" ?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by jrepan »

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 3 February 2008, 09:41:07 »
ATI cards have been known to have problems, do a search of the forum. Install Chromium B.S.U which also needs 3D graphics card drivers installed.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

wyoPBS

Re: Problem with user, driver, or hardware?
« Reply #3 on: 5 February 2008, 22:20:46 »
Quote from: "jrepan"
What says "glxinfo |grep direct" ?

direct rendering: yes
As noted in my admittedly LONG boring post, direct rendering works fine everywhere else and gets me about 250fps in glxgears.

I have also discovered that I can run glest in a window without the terrible delays; only full screen gives me a problem.  So at least I am able to play it now!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wyoPBS »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 7 February 2008, 00:50:02 »
Have you checked if there is some other 3D stuff running?
For example most people are not aware that Compiz is partly preactivated in current Ubuntu.
There might be something that is fine for others but interferes with Glest.

Hmm I strangely get the effect you described as well, but only if I go to options: API Info...

PS, get used to these first responders, thats the 3rd thread I see today, where someone has scanned the text for keywords and given a matching standart response (;
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

jrepan

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 7 February 2008, 13:30:10 »
Quote from: "Duke"
PS, get used to these first responders, thats the 3rd thread I see today, where someone has scanned the text for keywords and given a matching standart response (;

I read the whole post, but I asked because 272FPS is very low. I get it when my drivers are not working(I have Radeon 9200). I just wanted to be sure, that drivers work.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2008, 17:58:19 by jrepan »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 7 February 2008, 15:31:39 »
Ah sry, its just too common here, even with the devs. And I tbelieved without the drivers it wouldn't work at all.

Just tested mine.
glxgears windowed: 1000 fps
glxgears fullscreen: 60 fps

Thats an X200 running on 64MB.
and a Turion 1400

if wyo meant fullscreen it would be a good value but if he realy ment windowed there is something wrong with his system and not Glest.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

anything