Author Topic: Glest Advanced Engine  (Read 146860 times)

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 5 March 2008, 16:17:23 »
It should definitely be on a unit scale, because if you turn it off globally, then ranged healers will not heal when they should, or else the villagers will go running off repairing things, making it hard to make them go where you want them (or making you think they're dead. :cry:

Edit (AGAIN): BTW, the off-screen attack notification doesn't seem to work. Glest says that it couldn't find the closing tag for the faction.xml. :confused:

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 5 March 2008, 17:06:31 »
Did you make any changes to the data pack or can we use the actual Glest one?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: 6 March 2008, 08:16:19 »
Quote from: "Dr.Dixie"
I just realized that when you have multiple buildings being built, a Worker/Initiate starts building whichever building it first hits, not necessarily the one that you are right-clicking. Bug...
I hope you understand.

!Dr. Dixie!

yup, sure is.  thanks

@ZaggyDad@, off-screen notification isn't working yet, but if it says that it can't find a closing tag, then you need to check your xml.  I don't quite understand the gathering point, but I'll mess around with it and see if I can figure it out.  As for the auto-repair, your villagers won't go running off to do repairs if they are busy harvesting or something -- this only occurs with idle workers.  Also, they will attempt to return to their starting point once they are done repairing whatever it was that was broken, hurt or being built.  The only major thing I need to do with this is have them turn around faster if what they are going to repair gets repaired before they arrive.  But I still think having an option to toggle it on or off at the unit level is a good idea.

@Duke@, I didn't make actual changes to the "data pack" per se, but the Four Path Magitech adds to it.  You can use the glest advanced engine with the normal glest magitech tree, although it needs some entries in the .ini file and also the lanuage.lng file (optional if you don't mind ???HpRestored??? and such).  It didn't used to matter much if you use gae with the magitech faction because the new features didn't matter if you didn't use them in the tech tree.  But with the command queuing, auto heal, returning from auto-attack, etc, it does make a difference now.  I'm going to get a more windows friendly setup soon.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: 6 March 2008, 11:54:00 »
Ok, the repairing bug Dr Dixie posted is fixed here:

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: 6 March 2008, 17:36:01 »
The closing tag is there. But it still thinks it isn't when I have the notification stuff in it. :confused:

And what I meant about the villagers is that if you tell a villager to move somewhere, and he finishes moving, and he sees a building needing repairs, he'll immediately start repairing it.

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: 6 March 2008, 19:46:11 »
I actually didn't mean the techtree, but rather the rest of the data pack, since you obviously don't have a complete game with just binaries and techtree.
But you answered that in the other tread.

But I have got another question, how do you compile these sources for linux?
Its not standart, so I have trouble finding out what to do.

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: 6 March 2008, 19:52:44 »
hmm, good point, I did run into that a few times.  Maybe I can have a delay before they decide that you forgot about them and they go off and start repairing stuff.  On the flip side of this, it's made the AI mean.  I used to be able to take out a tech camp early on by generating a few combat units before they could get barracks up and start killing off workers from outside of the range of the guard tower and destroying the buildings that they start to build.  But now 5 workers aid in the building and I can't do enough damage, so my quick kill strategy doesn't work anymore (which is actually a good thing).

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: 6 March 2008, 20:00:53 »
@Duke@, there are a few threads on this under the Linux forum, but I have my build files laid out slightly differently.  Here's the skinny.  Your ogg & vorbis directories may be different.  Also, the -march flag I use is for my processor (An AMD athlon 64).  If you have an AMD X2 processor, there is another flag you can use that's a bit better.  I don't think gcc makes use of SSE3 instructions yet, I'm not sure what all you get extra.  See the gcc docs for the best -march flag to use with your specific processor
Code: [Select]
cd source
./autogen.sh
./configure CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -O3 -g -pipe" --with-x --with-vorbis=/usr --with-ogg=/usr
# if you have a dual core processor, use -j3, if quad, -j5
jam -j2
strip -s glest

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: 7 March 2008, 16:21:02 »
I have an idea. In the Advanced Engine, could it be made that players get a random position in a map? For instance, when someone is choosing what player they would like to be, they have the option of choosing random (for all players) so that their position on a map is unknown.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: 7 March 2008, 22:27:55 »
Glest Advanced Engine v0.1 & Four Path Magitech v0.1

So I don't have redundant things posted everywhere, please see post in Four Path Magitech thread here.

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: 7 March 2008, 22:38:48 »
Oh, pretty much standart though.

But if one has two PCs you should make sure, that you have all pakages installed on both of them -,-
Executing scripts from terminal might help too. (;

Strangely if I use configure with flags it tells me that the compiler can't create executables, but luckily Ubuntu finds ogg and vorbis automatically.

So, it runs fine. Thanks for the help.

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: 7 March 2008, 23:08:43 »
@Duke@, you may have libogg and libvorbis directly under /lib instead of /usr/lib like I have on my machine (I'm using Gentoo AMD64).  There is also an option in the configure script to tell it not to try to create executables using various libraries, but if not specifying where they are works, then it's certainly best to leave it that way :)

As far as having two PCs, I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about there.

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: 8 March 2008, 00:30:48 »
Ah yeah, not to clearly if you don't know whats up.

I have two PCs here, I installed the dependencies on one, but tried to compile on the other beleiving it had the packages as well and wondering why it didn't work. Not getting the error messages helped in the confusion.

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: 8 March 2008, 08:36:43 »
Quote from: "orion"
I have an idea. In the Advanced Engine, could it be made that players get a random position in a map? For instance, when someone is choosing what player they would like to be, they have the option of choosing random (for all players) so that their position on a map is unknown.

Just a thought.

Merry Christmas :).  Only randomizes location, not faction yet.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: 9 March 2008, 18:01:37 »
WooHoo. Thankyou for implementing the idea. [This is the best Christmas I've ever had :) )

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: 9 March 2008, 21:04:41 »
How difficult would it be to make objects(buildings trees) animate?
Currently only the first frame of an animated g3d is shown for those.

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: 9 March 2008, 22:33:37 »
@orion@, actually, check the main post, I updated with a 0.1.3 release that I didn't post here.  It also allows you to select random for faction (should work on tech trees with more than two factions).

BUG NOTICE: If you select random start locations in multiplayer you MAY end up with two players controlling the same team.  This was actually kinda cool because it proved that it would work.  On other RTSes, I've often thought it would be cool if one two human players could control the units of the same "faction" (for lack of a better term) and this proves it works flawlessly (well, I didn't test it extensively).

@duke@, that shouldn't be too hard.  The only thing is that there needs to be an animation speed supplied somehow.  I'm doing the starting work on figuring out an improved scenario and a campaign framework.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: 9 March 2008, 23:10:11 »
Quote from: "daniel.santos"
On other RTSes, I've often thought it would be cool if one two human players could control the units of the same "faction"

OpenTTD has this and it can be a bit confusing at times, not to say that it's a bad thing.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2008, 04:33:46 »
Quote from: "Duke"
How difficult would it be to make objects(buildings trees) animate?
Currently only the first frame of an animated g3d is shown for those.

Duke, could you email me a g3d of an animated tree to play with please?

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2008, 14:36:42 »
Ok daniel, this is the last thing I will bug you with, but is it possible to somehow implement random teammates. I was thinking that maybe you could simply add a random option under where it says "team" for each player.

PS: I am steadily learning c++, so in the future, I'll be able to help instead of just sitting here making a request after request.

Thanks for everything.

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: 10 March 2008, 15:54:38 »
Erm, I haven't got one yet, wciow was the one who tested it.

But just for testing purposes any units animation could do.

It somehow bugs me a bit that I could contibute just some more or less wise words sofar.
Hope that changes after my exams.

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: 10 March 2008, 19:48:59 »
no problem Duke.  I admit to be somewhat of a hit and miss type myself.  I will get really into a project and then slack off for a while.

I'll be spending some time on the saved game thing right now, I really want to get that working in GAE and then I'm going to try to figure out the performance problem -- I'm pretty unhappy about that one myself because when I'm debugging, the code isn't compiled with optimizations and it gets slower and slower the more units that are moving around in the game.  I've traced it to the code that searches for paths, but haven't gone any further with it yet.  And yea, I can use any animation for the tree, sorry. :)

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: 10 March 2008, 21:40:11 »
I believe the most effective optimisations are the processor specific ones, right?
If that's the case, your work will probably have only little effect on the binary thats intended for multiplayer. At least until the async problem is solved.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: 11 March 2008, 01:14:11 »
Another bug you should be aware of is how the GAE isn't compatible with the indian faction. The indians never build anything, they just keep harvesting resources.

Dr.Dixie

(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: 11 March 2008, 04:07:32 »
Wow. That's thoroughly bad. A bug...

!Dr.Dixie!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Dr.Dixie »

anything