Author Topic: Space Mod  (Read 2823 times)

myles

• Technician
    • View Profile
    • Myles Lambert's Portfolio
Space Mod
« on: 14 March 2008, 22:04:26 »
Hey All!
Ive been a little inactive recently because im starting to mod some larger games such as HW2,Unreal ect.

But Im still really enthuastic about any independent games and am always looking for ways to support them. So for the next three weeks I will be working on a space mod, ive seen a threads with ideas for them but nothing ever seemed to get finished.

I shall not be making a lot of units, maybe only 5-7. Instead I plan to change the gameplay of Glest. I will be using GAP (if permission from Daniel is given). I would also like to look into making a few core changes to Glest, one or two graphical changes as well as some changes fighting is carried on.

Before I even start thinking about ship desighns I really want to chat about what kind of features and ideas people have, I would really like this to be a communit driven project. So Iam asking anyone who has a drawing abilities to come up with faction desighns, weapon desighns and If any of you C++ coders out there have a chance to talk to me about new features Id love to get in touch.

So tell me, what would you like to see?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by myles »

myles

• Technician
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2008, 23:50:01 »
A Alien Frigate, nothing certain or quality. Just a sketch :D

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2008, 03:59:35 »
You don't need my permission myles, Glest, as well as GAE are GPL, free as in freedom. :)  God love Richard Stallman!

I haven't read the boards too much lately because I've been obsessed with getting some new features into the engine (savable multiplayer, etc.)  Feel free to send me an email or we can meet on IRC some time.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: Space Mod
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2008, 17:44:06 »
Quote from: "myles"

I shall not be making a lot of units, maybe only 5-7. Instead I plan to change the gameplay of Glest.

What sort of gameplay changes are you planning?

I would like to see some more tactical gameplay with units that have multiple abilities. Also how are you planning to implement resources in space?

Graphically you should definetly include some cool explosions for the ships ;)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

myles

• Technician
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2008, 21:29:53 »
Hey!
Most of the changes will be changes that allow for a more space like comabt, but the main changes will be the way in which units are produced and the amount of abilities.

Basicly you will start off with 2-3 capital ships which can produce frigate/corvettes. There will be no structures. Resources will be slowly generated from your capital ships and when you destroy a ship. Capital ships can not be rebuilt but will be heavily armoured. This will create a game which will be very unpredicatable as the units that produce things will be moving around.

I hope for some cool explosions ;)

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2008, 22:29:06 »
Sounds good.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2008, 00:35:46 »
Luckily, there is no requirement that for units that produce anything to be static, as a building is a unit in Glest.  I think this sounds cool :)  It will definately need some AI changes though because the AI is currently designed to have this "emergency worker production" where if your number of workers falls below a critical level, it will do nothing but produce workers to try to get you operational.  I think it will try to produce warriors as well at this time if it can, but not at the expense of workers.

Since you wont be having any "workers", this will take some changes.  A "worker" is defined by as any unit who can "harvest" from a map resource.  For Magitech, these resources are gold, stone and trees.  You don't have to have resources in your map, but you can if you want.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

Duke

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 17 March 2008, 01:00:49 »
Well I don't now the code of the AI, but I suppose if you simply don't define harvestable resources and just have produceables like the foot in tech, Ai wouldn't have the problem with emergency workers?

Additionally if there simply are no workers it can't produce them and would be forced to do something else, or would it be in an endless loop?

Or is the AI simply not designed to cope with such a situation?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Duke »

myles

• Technician
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2008, 16:54:53 »
Well yeah this would cause somewhat of a problem as it isnt allowed to create the only unit that generates resources. How hard would it to get around this? I will have a few more concepts up tonight,

Did you get my email i send to you daniel?

anything