Author Topic: 4 player multiplayer problem in linux  (Read 3181 times)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
4 player multiplayer problem in linux
« on: 5 April 2008, 16:31:42 »
HI,

We played several games today, but they where all very very laggy!
We had three computers/players in local lan and one in the internet( with different people in the inet! ). Already when there are 4 connected players in the multiplayer setup menu everything slows down extreemly!
When the game starts evrything was very very choppy and lagging.
this was with the first guy we played in the inet. But he was from australia and the ping was very bad (400ms and more)! But even when the player from the inet exits nothing speeds up. It stays as bad as it was before. Then we played with someone else who had a better ping, but nothing changes, same lag as before.
You can also see a little lag with 3 players in local lan!!
This should not happen. All computers are good enough to play glest and in two payer mode everything runs smooth.

Can there be some kind of timing problems which happen on linux only?
In Windows you can also see some bad lag in the connect menu ( especially with four players ), but there it is possible to get smooth games ( often not everytime! )

Can anyone help here?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 5 April 2008, 21:43:13 »
Maybe everything is still being sent to the player that left.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 5 April 2008, 21:55:40 »
This happens on Windows as well. Can someone please fix?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 6 April 2008, 10:00:20 »
Hm, i had problems like that some time ago, too. Unfortunately i wasnt able to find a solution but its like sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes doesnt. The local LAN i used had ping<1 ms so this couldnt be reason.
That time i had impression that on linux it runs better than on Windows, only problem is i didnt use the same PCs as one has ati and not good liniuxplay thus. So at windows i had two nearly identical fast PCs and under Linux i had one slower. I didnt try if it worked better hosting on slower or faster..
I hered of that launching the game fast without long waiting for players could help improving the problem, but i cannot test it as i have to change the floors(? means jumping down stairs) in order to launch the game.

hope someone has better understanding :)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

anything