Author Topic: Glestimals  (Read 79822 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Glestimals
« Reply #275 on: 27 October 2010, 00:50:50 »
I suppose I could just tinker with the start/end frames, though that would mean that the last frame of the animation would be effect the starting frame of the next animation (in other words, you have to "reset" the skeleton's position every animation, something I've found annoying and a waste of time). Hmm, you merged them all? That could be helpful...how?
If you insert key frames for all the bones at the beginning of each action, then it works quite well actually.  The last frame of one animation doesn't have to be the first frame of the next.  If animation A ends on frame 10, just make animation B start on frame 11.

Why do that when you can have a separate action... :look:
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 27 October 2010, 01:06:47 »
Convenience.  If you plan on re-using your actions with different units, then it can be better to keep them as separate actions.  If you're not, then it can be easier to keep them as one long chain instead of switching back and forth constantly.  Either way is fine, really.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #277 on: 27 October 2010, 03:16:57 »
Convenience.  If you plan on re-using your actions with different units, then it can be better to keep them as separate actions.  If you're not, then it can be easier to keep them as one long chain instead of switching back and forth constantly.  Either way is fine, really.

I see, I just happen to prefer the orderly method, I used to do chains and they drove me nuts. :|
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ZaggyDad

« Reply #278 on: 27 October 2010, 20:55:40 »
I see, I just happen to prefer the orderly method, I used to do chains and they drove me nuts. :|

Ditto.

~Zaggy1024

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 6 December 2010, 07:40:33 »
I'll upload a zip of the all the Glestimals so far...
http://www.filedropper.com/glestimalsoct2010

Damn... I don't have this one, and the link is dead. Could you please re-upload, then I will add them to the repository.

Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 6 December 2010, 22:32:47 »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

charlieg

« Reply #281 on: 10 December 2010, 23:41:06 »
Please don't forget to upload to OpenGameArt.org as it is a really useful pack for many game creators:
www.opengameart.org

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 11 December 2010, 03:49:32 »
Please don't forget to upload to OpenGameArt.org as it is a really useful pack for many game creators:
www.opengameart.org
Absolutely, I fully intend to do that once they're all animated. ;)

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #283 on: 10 March 2011, 06:48:04 »
Where is this in git-master? I can't find it...

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #284 on: 19 March 2011, 04:42:31 »
So this will make it in GAE 0.4  right?
Edit: just checked the trac... It says it's for 0.5... dang.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2011, 04:45:36 by Psychedelic_hands »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 19 March 2011, 04:50:35 »
I was under the impression that engine-wise they were basically ready to go, so it's just the assets themselves that are unfinished.  I'd hazard a guess that if somebody animates some more of them, they might make it in a lot sooner. ;)

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #286 on: 19 March 2011, 04:56:19 »
I was under the impression that engine-wise they were basically ready to go, so it's just the assets themselves that are unfinished.  I'd hazard a guess that if somebody animates some more of them, they might make it in a lot sooner. ;)

I thought that aswell... Can't we just add-in what is finished? and forget about the other animals for now?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: 19 March 2011, 05:26:21 »
As I recall, the spider is completely game-ready, and the bear and the wolf need just a little more work.  Unfortunately, my animation skills are a bit rusty and I've got a few too many irons in the fire already.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #288 on: 20 March 2011, 04:57:29 »
The glestimals can attack right? why not add in some rouge swordsmen, or wizards?

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 20 March 2011, 10:52:16 »
@hands - Thats up to the modders. I originally wanted Glestimals to wander round the map and maybe be killed as well, really just some nice eye candy to make maps more interesting (like AOE). Its seems that when(if?) they get implemented they will behave more like neutral units with a full set of unit tags.

If this is the case then Glestimals will just be a sort of basic set, with modders free to create their own types of neutral 'creeps' to suit their own mod packs.

Glestimals are almost totally complete. The only things that need doing are the animations for the wolf and a walk cycle for the deer. If no-one else steps up I will complete these myself but my animation skills are not great, there are several members here that are better animators  :look:
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Zoythrus

« Reply #290 on: 20 March 2011, 21:00:16 »
so, when glestimals are implemented, are we going to give them the AI's to follow? (or do they just wander around?)

my AI ideas are:

passive -the glestimal doesnt attack, no matter what you do to it

passive aggressive - it doesnt attack you unless you attack it, and will fight you in a small radius around it (the radius should be definable)

aggressive - it attacks anyone nearby, and will fight until either it or its target dies.

random - it switches between the three AI's randomly, making it rather unpredictable.

did i forget anything?

also, will glestimals ever be worth anything ingame? like, will we ever be able to kill a deer for food?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #291 on: 21 March 2011, 02:28:47 »
so, when glestimals are implemented, are we going to give them the AI's to follow? (or do they just wander around?)

my AI ideas are:

passive aggressive - it doesnt attack you unless you attack it, and will fight you in a small radius around it (the radius should be definable)

aggressive - it attacks anyone nearby, and will fight until either it or its target dies.

random - it switches between the three AI's randomly, making it rather unpredictable.

did i forget anything?

also, will glestimals ever be worth anything ingame? like, will we ever be able to kill a deer for food?
That sounds great. And I would certainly hope they could be able to give resources on death.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #292 on: 21 March 2011, 07:38:04 »
Nice ideas Zoy, hopefully they will be implemented after the merge.

Hopefully. Tiger and Eliminator's Stranded Scenario could use that...

Zoythrus

« Reply #293 on: 21 March 2011, 13:16:54 »
what about for skirmishes? that would make things interesting.....

wyvern

« Reply #294 on: 26 March 2011, 02:39:45 »
I had an idea, its sort of related to the glestimals additions, why not have neutral farms/villages, you could pass by them without being attacked but if you attacked/tried to capture it, angry farmers of something would come out to attack you. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the warg/troll/goblin caves in BFME.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #295 on: 26 March 2011, 10:30:24 »
I had an idea, its sort of related to the glestimals additions, why not have neutral farms/villages, you could pass by them without being attacked but if you attacked/tried to capture it, angry farmers of something would come out to attack you. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the warg/troll/goblin caves in BFME.

I support, though... Does that mean they would be randomly placed? or would we make a new map object? would that be bad for balance?

ZaggyDad

« Reply #296 on: 13 April 2011, 16:21:39 »
Could someone re-upload the zip (on a site with no time limit for files)? MediaFire seems to have deleted the files 'cause they're so old.

~Zaggy1024

Zoythrus

« Reply #297 on: 13 April 2011, 16:43:53 »
do you guys think that Glestimals will be supported in 0.4? or will we have to wait for the Merge?

treba

« Reply #298 on: 13 April 2011, 17:18:58 »
do you think it would be possible to use glestimals for neutral building etc., too? they would just not wander around. in combination with a parameter for invulnerability as mentioned in this thread, it would solve the whole problem of custom neutral objects

tucho

• Ornithopter
    • View Profile
    • .::www.artbytucho.com::.
« Reply #299 on: 28 April 2011, 22:04:12 »
my AI ideas are:

did i forget anything?

I'd add a 4th kind of AI:

evasive - it runs when there is someone nearby, like workers or units without attack (radius also can be definable)