Author Topic: GAE Website  (Read 13999 times)

orion

GAE Website
« on: 29 April 2008, 21:47:42 »
Edited by Daniel: Let's use this thread for discussing issues & development of the GAE website (making it a normal thread)

http://http://glest.codemonger.org/ has been recently been updated and is now beginning to develop. There's a very little on the site and there are a few minor errors, but they will slowly be dealt with as the website grows.  If you have questions or concerns concerning the website, please email me, or reply to this topic.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2008, 17:58:39 »
Hi, question is not really websiterelated but to the SVN.
I tried to get the sourcecode with kdesvn and i chose "head" as config...
Unfortunalely it loaded about 500 mb and it didnt seem to stop soon so i broke it. Have you a hit what configuration to use? or did i only take the wrong folder (i think it took from "repos").
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2008, 04:30:23 »
weedkiller, yikes, I'm not too sure on that.  I really need to keep the "current release" synchronized with the head, I haven't merged them in a while. For now, please specify the branch (e.g., [url]https://glest.codemonger.org/svn/repos/gae/branches/0.2.x[url]).  The 0.2.x branch is the stable branch and 0.3 is wip, and I'll be keeping this merged with changes in 0.2 (but not visa versa).

orion, please take a look at the index.html when you get a chance.  To keep the packaging script working smoothly, I modified it to output to downloads-table.html and use a server side include (the <!-- #include --> tag thingie), so hack away, just make sure that stays there and the index.html has the executable bit set.  Also, you should eventually get all images under a directory called "images" and try not to use spaces in file names (unix/Linux people hate that :) )
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2008, 19:17:31 »
orion,  You're doing very good with the web site and I'm glad you're learning lots of stuff. :)  Next I would like to slap together some rough standards, mostly based upon common industry standards.
  • let's keep file names (including directories) to all lower case unless there's a good reason (like a downloaded file should have case changes).
  • no spaces in file names
  • generally keep html files under the root directory
  • included .css files go into "css" subdirectory
  • included javascript files end in .js extension and go in "js" subdirectory.
I have Apache server side includes enabled (mod_include) and I'm using the XBitHack option, so if you want to use those directives, you have to set the executable bit on the file. I also have mod_rewrite enabled if you want to use that from .htaccess.  My packaging script will output to (and overwrite) downloads-table.html, so the index.html won't get modified.  I may add the site to source control soon.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2008, 02:31:59 »
Glad you like it Daniel. Sorry I haven't edited the website in a while; I've been busy. It's a coincidence that you decided to use the "server-side Include thingie :)

What I have been working on lately is a "Content Management System" for the website where you could easily post news and other stuff on the website without having to write your own HTML code. You'll see what I mean soon.

By the way, does your server support MySQL?

PS: Doesn't It fell good to be a moderator of a forum? I mean, it just feels good to be our own usergroup with a Behemoth avatar. :D

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2008, 19:46:50 »
Quote from: "orion"
By the way, does your server support MySQL?
My server supports anything. :) hehe

PS: Doesn't It fell good to be a moderator of a forum? I mean, it just feels good to be our own usergroup with a Behemoth avatar. :)  I'm personally excited that there's so much momentum and that we're getting support from the Glest Team to boot! There used to be this TV show in the states called The A-Team, and it was a lot of stunt driving, explosions, big muscle dudes kicking butt and (semi-)witty one-liners (pre/early-Schwarzenegger days), but at the end of every show, when they got the bad guy in jail, etc., the leader would always put a cigar in his mouth and say "I love it when a plan comes together."  I'm kinda feeling a bit of that personally :)

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2008, 02:15:57 »
What do you guys think about this "Enter Page" ?

Daniel, I hope you realize by now that the current web design style of glest.codemonger.org is just a temporary one. I will eventually replace it with what is intended to be the real glest.codemonger.org. :D. The reason I submitted that web design style in the first place was to show you and everybody else that I was working on something.

So, how do you like the enter page?

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2008, 10:10:03 »
beautiful! :)

I shrunk the image size to remove the areas that were only black, that way the image is smaller and, thus, the page views faster.  I put the new image under "images" (where all images should go), added a basic css file and stuck an image map on the buttons. Go check it out.

http://glest.codemonger.org/enter-sample.html

What do you make all of these cool images in?  Also, my html code isn't properly formatted, so that part isn't meant to be an example of good style.  It's probably best not to have a lot of links and buttons that do not go to valid pages or are for features that are a long ways off.  So I would prefer if you removed both buttons from the login image and then we can overlay buttons as we please using nifty html/css mechanisms (tables & such).  So just render the image minus the buttons and then make some buttons (you can anti-alias them & such if you please, makes them look nicer).

On another note, try to keep the structure of your html pages as simple as possible.  Avoid too many nested tables if possible and avoid specifying explicit height & width whenever possible as well.  I usually only do this when I need images to align and almost never use explicit height & width specifications otherwise, I let the layout rules of the html, css, dom & browser decide that. I guess I also use explicit pixel measurements when trying to get a certain border or margin as well (something along those lines).  Try to remember that some people are viewing this at 1024x768 (the lowest browser resolution that is generally acceptable these days) and some at 1920x1200 (like myself) or more.

I do use nested tables fairly regularly, this is because it's often the only way to get the layout that I want and have it work consistently across browsers and such.  Also, I prefer css to javascript.  If I can get some visual effect or behavior to work via css (like mouseovers & such) then it's better than javascript.  Many people (like myself) use the Mozilla noscript plugin so javascript is disabled by default until it's explicitly allowed for each web page.  Personally, I make fairly liberal use of javascript because I like to make pages that are highly functional (AJAX-ish), but I will use CSS or HTML whenever possible and try to make pages as functional as possible even without javascript -- and it's a challenge to have very dynamic web pages that are also functional (at least minimally) without javascript!

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2008, 10:53:48 »
Looks great and very professional too  :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2008, 11:29:34 »
Thanks, Daniel and Wciow, for the compliments, but the image hasn't been perfected yet. Infact, for the last few weeks, I've been making a "Content Management System" for the website.

What do you make all of these cool images in?

I used Photoshop CS2 to make this images and therefore, all of my websites. I think I'm pretty good when it comes to Effects in photoshop. What I need to get better at is drawing/modeling in the program. A web designer cannot survive without Photoshop or GIMP.

It's probably best not to have a lot of links and buttons that do not go to valid pages or are for features that are a long ways off. So I would prefer if you removed both buttons from the login image and then we can overlay buttons as we please using nifty html/css mechanisms (tables & such). So just render the image minus the buttons and then make some buttons (you can anti-alias them & such if you please, makes them look nicer).

I was planning on doing all of this, but before I do, I make a habit of making an image of the website. Then, using photoshop, I slice the image into various components which will then form the website.

more later....I have to go. :D

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2008, 21:35:47 »
Sorry that I haven't been editing the website lately, but I have been working on the website on my computer. I just haven't been uploading it on to the server. I will once it is...stable. Just letting you guys know that I'm not slacking off. :D

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2008, 02:25:19 »
You need to fix the shading sticking off the bottom. I think you should make separate images for the corners and sides and bottom. Then it could scale with the text.

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2008, 03:31:31 »
The current web style on glest.codemonger.org will not be there for long. I've been working on a new style to fit the enter page I posted above. Since I'm on summer break from school, I'll have more time to work on it.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2008, 21:29:15 »
What version of PHP does your server have, Daniel?

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 2 June 2008, 22:26:05 »
I finally added the new enter page to glest.codemonger.org ( It's about time) :D

I'm having trouble with the "Enter" text on the page so if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment.

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 2 June 2008, 22:26:22 »
I finally added the new enter page to glest.codemonger.org ( It's about time) :D

I'm having trouble with the "Enter" text on the page so if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 3 June 2008, 10:41:47 »
What's wrong with it?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 3 June 2008, 19:10:36 »
The "Enter" text just looks....wrong. I don't know

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 3 June 2008, 20:53:20 »
Don't make it all capital. It looks bad that way. And you should make the button image the button, and not the text.

~Zaggy

Jamesgamer

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 5 June 2008, 02:20:43 »
make other links on the site work =)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Jamesgamer »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 5 June 2008, 02:41:42 »
That's coming soon JamesGamer :D.
Thanks for the advice Zaggydad

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 6 June 2008, 22:04:40 »
Could you post an image of the new layout of the main site?

~Zaggy

Ayrin Greenflag

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostinn.com/ayrin
help
« Reply #22 on: 7 June 2008, 19:22:05 »
if u need help Orion i could work on the webpage layouts so project will spedd up

www.lostinn.com/ayrin
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Ayrin Greenflag »

ttsmj

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 7 June 2008, 19:55:32 »
look here, I've re-coded your layout

http://www.mediafire.com/?luxjbzz0hyo
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ttsmj »

orion

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 8 June 2008, 15:19:19 »
ttsmj:

Thanks, but I was unsure if to include a login page. I like the font though. :D), I'll ask him if there should be a login.

ZaggyDad & Ayrin Greenflag

I'm not quite finished with the new layout/style. I want to get it to a point where it is presentable. ;)

anything