Author Topic: Unit Production Epiphany  (Read 3984 times)

orion

Unit Production Epiphany
« on: 4 May 2008, 02:59:43 »
This is just an epiphany I had the other day.

I once said that this game needed a more advanced ranking system (ex. guard -> elite guard). What if, barracks had the ability to produce various types of specific units? For example, what if the barracks could produce a "Beginner" swordsman (a swordsman that is weak, but can be produced fast) and at the same time produce an "Expert" swordsman (an elite swordsman that is pretty powerful, but takes a long time to produce)?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by orion »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2008, 07:16:03 »
Basically the idea is not bad.
But i think it will make game to complex with too less  benefits. The norsemenmod was sometimes considered as confusing as there are so much units to produce (and it wasnt clear enough what they were good for).
So i already think units should be kept at minimum count but highest details we can provide (ok, i couldnt so we got these number of units in norsemen :O ).
Btw, what if you have a couple of these swordmen? wouldnt it be confusing if the number cannot really be considered as its strength as they are not easy to identify which is strong or weak?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2008, 12:39:29 »
I once said that this game needed a more advanced ranking system (ex. guard -> elite guard). What if, barracks had the ability to produce various types of specific units? For example, what if the barracks could produce a "Beginner" swordsman (a swordsman that is weak, but can be produced fast) and at the same time produce an "Expert" swordsman (an elite swordsman that is pretty powerful, but takes a long time to produce)?

This seems like a system used in Supreme Commander if people are familiar with that game.

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
All units and structures belong to one of four technology tiers or 'Tech' levels. Upgrading structures and producing advanced engineers allows the player to produce higher quality units. The first tier is available at the start of the game and consists of small, relatively weak units and structures. The second tier expands a player's abilities greatly, especially in terms of base defences and shielding, and introduces upgraded versions of tier one (t1) units. The third tier level has very powerful units designed to break the defences of the most entrenched player. The fourth, "experimental" technology tier includes massive constructions that take many resources and a lot of time to construct. These powerful units can turn the tide of battle if they are used correctly.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2008, 14:11:22 »
It needs to be more like AoE. Tons of buildings, and each of them with a certain purpose (e.g. a stable for making all of the horse units, and barracks for infantry, and archery ranges for ranged units), and tons of upgrades (and maybe ages...).

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2008, 20:42:42 »
There are tomes written on this subject, but I'm going to keep it as brief as possible.

What makes an effective defense?  What makes an effective offensive?  What results in a unit surviving or dying?  Armor, constitution, skill, weaponry, support from other troops.  Skill, IMO, results from innate ability + training + experience.  There is no substitute for experience in RL and there shouldn't be in game either. Armor, training, etc., these can vary as is appropriate, but experience is a result of real (not simulated, practiced or theoretical) combat experience.

But as far as varying the amount of training, I don't think that this is a variable that will serve the FPM mod well and I don't think it will serve any mod in GAE well unless we wanted to support an actual fine-grained experience point system.  This would be the only way that I can see to effectively support adding the variable of training and I don't think I'm personally interested in that at this time, although it is possible to implement such a system while not breaking the base tech tree or any existing mods by assigning static values to NOS (not otherwise specified) kills (e.g., 1 kill = 100 xp).  Right now, we have MANY moving parts that are not yet attached and I strongly feel that we need to put these together before looking for more moving parts to add to the mix.  Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2008, 21:32:58 »
Can you create a list of the moving parts or is there already a list somewhere?

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2008, 22:22:55 »
When I say "moving parts", what I'm really meaning are things that we are changing that are effecting the whole of the project, but aren't yet finished.  A brief list would include:
  • multiplayer changes - this is completely broken in GAE right now :) )
  • Improved animation playback
  • Trees & other map objects that sway in the wind (requires above)
  • Revamped weather system (requires above item)
  • Physics
  • Improved death sequences (requires physics & improved animation playback).
  • Lightning still needs a visual effects revamp.  This will probably involve further enhancements to the base particle system (to produce long shafts without having to manage so many individual particles.
  • Pathing code needs revamp due to performance problems.
  • Need to tweak the way the engine manages alpha layers in textures/models so that the Lich's cape doesn't look funny.

That's all I can think of at this point, maybe we should have a stickied "to do" list.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2008, 22:39:18 »
Thanks, I agree about the "to do" list.