Author Topic: Software Process  (Read 2453 times)

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
Software Process
« on: 4 May 2008, 21:47:34 »
This is my attempt at documenting the software process of GAE.

The amount of information needed will depend on the type of improvement (new feature, bug fix, change feature)

1. An idea or design is posted to the forum so that other people can post their thoughts.
2. Implement and test locally. Making sure the code follows style guidelines and requirements.
3. Post a working patch for review with details on how it was done or get help if not working.
4. If accepted, it is integrated into a beta version and documented (changelog and more if needed). Users post a bug report if it doesn't work for them. EDIT: also need to check if previous features don't break.
5. If no problems for a while it gets into the stable release.
6. Tested by general users.

I don't think there are any documented style guidelines and requirements for code or a standard format for bug reports.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2008, 22:12:36 »
I like this!  And it's true, we don't have any style guidelines, etc. and I agree that it's needed for group development to be effective.  Admittedly, I broke from the coding style that Martino used because it was hard for me to adapt, but I'm thinking that this would be a good thing to do.

In addition to style guidelines, there should be some documentation on other coding standards, like collections, etc.  I'll surely have to make a good number of changes myself, but it's good to be reading from the same page.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by daniel.santos »

anything