Author Topic: To Do List & Bugs  (Read 40544 times)

jda

Re: To Do List & Bugs
« Reply #100 on: 22 October 2009, 00:14:43 »
And also you could make it so you win and lose resources as your units win and die.
I'm not actually seeing the point in that, archmage. :-\

For wins, it's what Ligerteeth suggested - one kill is one win... Your unit plunders the unit it killed. Makes perfect sense.
For deaths... why? Why would you loose resources when one of your units dies? You've already spent the resources that unit carries when building it.

Unless... you're referring to resources stored in buildings... That would make sense, yes. ;)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #101 on: 22 October 2009, 11:42:40 »
I'm refering to you can plunder the enemy and they can plunder you.
It's not fair if you can plunder them and they can't plunder you.
This is about keeping the game balanced, that's a big point to not be able to see.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

jda

« Reply #102 on: 22 October 2009, 12:27:39 »
I assumed Ligerteeth was referring to anyone (human, AI, network) to be able to plunder anyone else. I.e., any unit that kills another one gets some resources back. This would have to be implemented in the units' xml's of course. And it could be done in two tags, something like:
Code: [Select]
{max_plunder}=number{/max_plunder}meaning the maximum amount of resources that unit could carry (in total or in one single plunder, that's pretty much up to the developpers to decide you could actually have both, with two tags, like one to define how much an unit can plunder with one kill and another for how much it could plunder in total before turning the plundered resources in to some building).

2. And you could also have a maximum amount of resources the unit can be plundered when killed (but this really is optional, Ligerteeth's idea, as I see it, can be fully functional without it):
{max_plundered}=number{/max_plundered} which would establish the maximum amount of resources the unit can award its killer.
If this latest point is what you meant by "(...) lose resources (...) as your units (...) die" (note you made a double statement in your original post and I've now just transcripted one of the two statements therein), it didn't come very clear to me from your post.

And again, point 1 is actually all you need to enable plundering in the game. Point 2 is just an improvement, an welcome one but still... it still fits into Ligerteeth's post, the way I read it. Your post seemed to be asking for something else when really, at most, it was already going into the details of implementing Ligerteeth's idea.

And yet again, from the begining of this post of mine, EVERY UNIT will be able to plunder any other whatsoever player owns this or that unit! Nothing in Ligerteeth's post or mine say otherwise. And I's assume it's pretty obvious too, and also, from my little knowledge of programming, I'd say it would actually be more troublesome to make you able to plunder your enemy and prevent the other way around.
In brief, every unit which was made able to plunder in the corresponding XML (ever played Travian? In there, each unit has different capabilities of plundering...) could indeed plunder any other unit (if there was nothing of the "can I be plundered if killed? and for how much?" in the dying process of the killed unit), regardless of whether the killing (wining) and killed (losing) unit is yours or anyone else's.
Furthermore, if you just can't even define how much any unit can plunder or be plundered for, this can still work! You (the programmers of GAE) may just as well define "From now on, any unit that kills another one gets n resources to its player." And that'd be done, plundering activated by default for any unit in the game capable of killing another.

So, basically, any way you choose to see it, if you say "units should be able to get resources when killing another one", you've pretty much covered everything you said about it.

My opinion. ;)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #103 on: 22 October 2009, 12:51:14 »
Yea I was just making sure.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Fqk3r

« Reply #104 on: 23 October 2009, 16:48:09 »
I just installed the game and i've got 2 bugs : i can't access to options ( there's an error window saying : value not found on list box : en and then the game just crashes ) and i can't make it work on full screen, ( because i can't access to optoins ^^ ) also it looks laggy and the arrow keys looks bugged / lagging ( sometimes it doesn't work, and my keyboard is new and the arrow keys work with normal glest without problem )

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 24 October 2009, 03:19:02 »
The first bug has been fixed. You can change options in glestadv.ini and the lag is being worked on.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 4 November 2009, 23:42:07 »
Bug in glest, A unit larger than 1 like the size of a horse man or lager can not build units.
« Last Edit: 5 November 2009, 01:23:58 by ElimiNator »
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

jda

« Reply #107 on: 5 November 2009, 03:26:03 »
I'm using GAE 0.2.12a with Glest 3.2.2 on Ubuntu 9.04.
Both glest and gae compiled according to instructions in assassin's topic: "One stop guide to install Glest and GAE on your (linux) box", on the Linux board.

I'm having issues with the savegame feature, when loading back a previously saved game.

As stated before, I can save a game and load it back up.

However, either the saving or the loading seems to carry some sort of corrupted/incomplete/wrong information, at least when working with a scripted scenario.
Had issues both with Glest's original Storming scenario and Omega's Labyrinth-Stage2 scenario.

Regarding the former:
I saved the game after killing the Daemons on the first Magic base (the one with the Library and the Golem) and before attacking either library or golem.
When I loaded back, all non human units were doubled! There were two libraries and two golems. There were also two allied Summoners. All my human-controlled units were ok, other than the extra battlemage and daemon that come up at the point I saved the game came back a second time.
I believe there were also double the tech foes that appear at that time in the scenario/script.
But from the moment I reached the Tech base on, the game went back to normal. Hence, it appears that the part of the script that is being played at the moment you save the game is somehow mishandled. Other than that, everything seems fine.

About the later, I had two different problems:

1. The last game I'd saved could not be loaded. Error message (displayed ingame only, not on the console) is something like:
Could not open <savegame file>. Error parsing XML, file <savegame file>However, the game I'd saved prior to that one was (almost) successfully loaded.

2. The savegame prior to the last one was loaded but there were issues too. I had saved the game before getting into combat distance. When loading back, combat was starting (witthout me taking any action).

The two savegame files were saved at an important moment of the script (or rather just before and shortly after - if you played Omega's stage2, the moment I refer to is the one that precedes you geting some more briefing - I don't want to spoil it for those who may want to play it!).

Then again, this may all just be my setup (seems to have been the case regarding the "bug" I got in the savegame dialog (see on this topic maybe one page before this one)... But if it's not, here is my report.

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 5 November 2009, 03:34:09 »
How do you save games in gae?

jda

« Reply #109 on: 5 November 2009, 04:05:03 »
Press the Z key ;)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 5 November 2009, 05:15:58 »
OK thanks.

me5

« Reply #111 on: 4 March 2010, 08:48:52 »
Trying to build a defence_tower next to another I get a weird building preview. So I thought let's improve my low coding skills and look into the code. My best guess is that there is something wrong in the "void Renderer::renderMouse3d()" function in the renderer.cpp file.
Cause there is a comment which says something about building emplacement  :). I wanted to tinker a little with the code but couldn't compile it ::) .Thats by best guess but it may be wrong. If someone finds the problem please tell me what was wrong.
As you can see in the next picture the position of the second tower in Step1 is not the same as at Step4.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 4 March 2010, 12:58:46 »
Trying to build a defence_tower next to another I get a weird building preview.

Ahh, that old one.. there is another related bug, where the worker will build off to the right or below if approaching the site from that direction.  I fixed both ages ago in a branch that went stale.  Will dig them up, thanks for the reminder :)
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 14 June 2010, 14:33:31 »
This map is causing problems for the cartographer. Using 0.2.13-rc GAE will crash approximately 75% of the time. My original uneducated hunch was that there was not enough space to place units because it works more with my WIP undead faction which currently only places 3 units at startup. I modified the map to provide plenty of space for placements.

However different combinations of factions seem to crash at random and often the exact same setup will work first then crash the next time round  :confused:

I also think it may be related to this post since gae-crash.txt is spitting out the following similar error:

=======================
Crash
Version: Advanced Engine v0.2.13
Time: Mon Jun 14 15:13:34 2010
Description: Access violation (Reading address 0x0705FFF6)
Address: 00C39C17
=======================

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 14 June 2010, 23:59:26 »
I tried the map with the latest trunk and it loaded ok. I did notice that exiting the match and starting a new one continued increasing the memory, so there might be memory issues. I'm using 2GB of RAM.

Same with latest 0.2.x branch.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2010, 00:06:20 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 16 June 2010, 10:27:27 »
Hmmm... map worked fine for me on both trunk and 0.2.x (unmodified since 0.2.13a was tagged).

I tried the map with the latest trunk and it loaded ok. I did notice that exiting the match and starting a new one continued increasing the memory, so there might be memory issues. I'm using 2GB of RAM.

Same with latest 0.2.x branch.

There are some problems with changes I made to the timers in trunk, that causes the whole program to slow down when you return from a game, quick fix for now is to lower you're RenderFpsMax. I'm unaware of any memory problems, will look into it.

This shouldn't be happening with 0.2.x though...

Timeline | Downloads

me5

« Reply #116 on: 24 July 2010, 14:05:53 »
How can I highlight cells in 0.2.13a? I downloaded the debug-version and tried to use hilightCell() but it seems not to work for me?

btw. here are some things I was thinking of regarding gae (debug only):
(don't know if that's worth a ticket cause one can also work without theese)
#GAE saves the last 3 (or 5) luacommands one entered, so one can recall them by using the arrowkeys
 (so only messages which starts with "~")
#a little table/window that shows the position the mouse is over (x,y) (maybe also FPS, time since start, ...)
#megafast (gamespeed) (for testing issues)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #117 on: 25 July 2010, 02:28:13 »
I definately agree with the second one, since I find it EXCRUCIATINGLY painful to find cell numbers, and that can take up half of the time to make complex scenarios sometimes (and I've occassionally messed up or was inaccurate). It would be nice to either see this in Glest or in a map editor (though Glest would probably be better/more efficent, unless, perhaps, both).
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 27 August 2010, 18:53:27 »
Not exactly a bug but can anyone confirm whether the extra trajectory tags detailed in the wikia are actually functional.

Currently i cant get
<tracking value="true"/>
and
<end-offset-var x="10" y="10" z="10"/>
working at all  :(

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #119 on: 27 August 2010, 18:56:33 »
I cant verify the end-offset, since I never pay close attention and am not at home (though military uses it, latest version only) though tracking is... odd... If the target moves fast enough, it will completely miss and the proj will continue, without splashing, etc as a normal proj would. Looks pretty cool, and went great with Military's AA Launcher (try it to see) though I think we also need another thing that is true tracking, NEVER missing even a fast moving unit.

modman

« Reply #120 on: 29 August 2010, 03:30:42 »
Played a GAE game tonight.  I liked a lot of the things I saw (especially auto repair), but the AI is still having problems.  The horsemen got stuck in my ally's camp.

http://www.filefront.com/17244091/horsemen stuck.sav

I thought this was fixed in GAE but I guess not.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #121 on: 31 August 2010, 16:46:26 »
Most likely, it has something to do with the fact that the AI doesn't care about you. It tries not to box itself in, but unit's cannot walk through eachother, so if you were to, say, construct a building near theirs, you could end up boxing them in. Likewise, their units could get in your way.

modman

« Reply #122 on: 31 August 2010, 21:16:23 »
I think you misunderstood me.  I meant to say that the AI boxed it's own horsemen in it's camp.

silnarm

• Local Moderator
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 1 September 2010, 01:56:13 »
Currently i cant get
<tracking value="true"/>
and
<end-offset-var x="10" y="10" z="10"/>
working at all  :(

tracking systems should would, but a quick test on 0.2.13 reveals they are indeed broken, they are working on svn trunk builds though, so it works in 0.3 ...

start-offset and end-offset are simply not ever read in, 'start-offset' is of course just another more verbose name for 'offset', but even that didn't make it in, 'end-offset' doesn't appear to have been implemented.  Will try to squeeze it into a 'bugfix' release of 0.3 at some stage.

Played a GAE game tonight.  I liked a lot of the things I saw (especially auto repair), but the AI is still having problems.  The horsemen got stuck in my ally's camp.

http://www.filefront.com/17244091/horsemen stuck.sav

I thought this was fixed in GAE but I guess not.

No, the AI boxing it self it in was never fixed, although thinking about it now, changing the value of a single parameter should do the trick (so they always leave 2 cells space), at least for size 2 units... will fix it for 0.3

Timeline | Downloads

will

• Golem
    • View Profile
making font sizes adjustable
« Reply #124 on: 17 November 2010, 18:58:22 »
a tiny contribution, hopefully the first of many:

I admit I couldn't locate where RenderFontMenu and kin in the config are used; it looks like they are unused, right?

So anyway, I added a new config setting, RenderFontScaler, which is a multiplier to make the size of all fonts bigger or smaller globally; e.g. if you specify "RenderFontScaler 0.5" in the glestadv.ini, then your fonts are all half as tall as the default size (and I find this works much better in the New Game screen and so on).

What is the appropriate route and place for these tweaks?

https://github.com/williame/Glest/commit/bfd4bfb0456c9fc42b4738725b7f8723a7b362a9

anything