Author Topic: blender help  (Read 8986 times)

rts gamerguy

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 29 July 2008, 16:44:53 »
I don't think that's necessary, I'm just trying to texture the basic icosphere. as pathetic as that is, I just got really annoyed with constantly making new textures and models, export them and noticing after conversion that the .g3d will not open, whereas the model without the texture exports and converts just fine. anyways, in summary I'm keeping it simple, and I'm convinced I'm doing something stupid somewhere in blender. i hope the following info can help anyone help me

so what i do in blender is simple: i delete the default cube and replace it with the icosphere, to avoid the uncertainty of wether i have any quads, I set start frame and end frame to 1, make the sphere's parent an armature, just for good measure, then I do the texturing and export (yes, the mesh is selected in object mode), convert, and it doesn't work.

as you can see, I've tried to remove all the variables and make it as simple as possible to avoid  mistakes, but I still manage to screw up a simple sphere. If anyone understands what I'm doing wrong, thanks in advance for telling me. But I do know one thing, or at least I'm pretty confident about it: I don't think it's the mesh that makes it go wrong, because whatever I export that is without a texture, works. Oh, and the texture is an uncompressed .tga

oh, and sorry I'm sorry I'm so stubborn zaggydad, and I'm not trying to offend you or anything, but 2.46 really doesn't seem to have a uv face select mode, even the noob to pro wiki says it. Unless I'm mistaken, that is. Do you know of a way to get to uv face select in 2.46 though? Because if you do, I'd be really grateful. the noob to pro wiki just says to stay in edit mode, but if you do know a way around that, I hope you'll add it to the wiki, because that would probably be helpful to many others than just me.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by rts gamerguy »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 29 July 2008, 22:55:00 »
I have a suggestion. Setup and export your model as usual (make sure that it has the UV texture (model.tga)  assigned as a material texture in blender.)

Export to the folder where you keep glexemel.

Copy and paste your "model.tga" into the folder with the XML file.

Now open up the XML file in notepad.

Look for the line <Texture name="C:\blah\blah\model.tga" />

Change it to <Texture name="model.tga" />

Now compile with Glexemel and test with G3d Viewer.

I don't know if this will solve your problem but this is my usual routine for sucessful exporting  ;)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by wciow »
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: 30 July 2008, 14:05:14 »
Yeah, I have to do that all the time... I think titi and weedkiller have worked out a way to get rid of it, but I don't know how they did. I think it might have to do with applying the texture after saving the blend in the same folder with the texture. :confused:

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: 31 July 2008, 07:36:08 »
i mostly use relative path for the image. like
//mytexture.tga
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

rts gamerguy

(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: 1 August 2008, 16:59:29 »
thanks, I'll give it a try

edit

I think this may have improved it somewhat but I still get an error message whenever I try to open it with g3d viewer. the error's header is: microsoft visual c++ runtime library which basically tells me there's something called a "runtime error" which causes the application to end in an unusual way. anyone know what this means, or what I should do??
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by rts gamerguy »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: 1 August 2008, 18:09:43 »
-Did you convert all quads to triangels?
Yes, of course I did

-do you export in objectmode and selected the object you wanted to export?
All selected, I was testing on the starting square

-did you set startframe and end frame?

Start frame is 0, end frame also 0. Non-animated model.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by omega »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: 3 August 2008, 11:34:08 »
On the video tutorials at about 1:00 titi says to set the frame to 1 not 0.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/