Poll

Should we do it?

Yes
12 (92.3%)
No
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 27 July 2008, 01:38:52

Author Topic: Let's do something big  (Read 9928 times)

erandur

(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: 23 July 2008, 13:30:31 »
I'm always willing to help with modeling. And I may have another idea, to make it REALLY big.

Let's also assemble a team to create a MMORPG (based on the same units, lore, etc.). I think I could find a group quite fast on the realmcrafter forums.

OR, even better. Adjust the Glest engine to make it a MMORTS. :) I can 3d model, do some basic xml's, terrains, have plenty of (impossible) ideas. Just don't let me program. :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by erandur »

Idanwin

(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: 23 July 2008, 15:19:01 »
I am wanting to help but do not expect me  to.
Cause I'm no good with neither moddeling and textures nor programming (not with c++ at least)
I can do a bit of xml and I have a lot of ideas though.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Idanwin »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #27 on: 23 July 2008, 16:38:16 »
Let's also assemble a team to create a MMORPG (based on the same units, lore, etc.). I think I could find a group quite fast on the realmcrafter forums.

Do you think we can stand against WoW, and the others? :lol: I just don't know, who will do it...

OR, even better. Adjust the Glest engine to make it a MMORTS. Very Happy That of course, would need a lot of programming, heh.

Hmm? How do you imagine MMORTS?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

erandur

(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: 23 July 2008, 17:56:19 »
Quote from: "@kukac@"

Do you think we can stand against WoW, and the others? :lol: I just don't know, who will do it...

OR, even better. Adjust the Glest engine to make it a MMORTS. Very Happy That of course, would need a lot of programming, heh.

Hmm? How do you imagine MMORTS?

1) Hell yes! The MMORPG market is desperately looking for something new! Doing something totally different from WoW should do just fine! Take a look at all those people complaining on mmorpg.com. And take a look at the most anticipated games in development. I think with an original mmorpg we should stand a good chance against those upcoming titles. :}

2) That mmorts part was more or less a joke, heh. It would be quite different from Glest as it is now. Take a look at Saga (www.playsaga.com), that is by far the best example there is out there. We could add an in-game chat to the game though. Not only for the people who are fighting together/against each other. But a global chat. So they can exchange tactics on scenario's etc. Or just talk a bit while they wait for their workers to gather resources.

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: 24 July 2008, 08:06:16 »
well, at the beginning Nihilirian said that he wasnt waiting for a god showing up.. so which of us will turn the glest-engine into a mmorpg if we even have no 100% network working? (not ment in a bad way, i think Glest-team did a great job in every way; they are even not paid for it)

so lets be realistic, if we teach each other how to do 3d,2d graphics we will learn much. and you could do the mmorpg with the created modells afterwards if you feel so  :D. i think you can only learn by practising, so lets go ahead and make a new faction with a big team!

my suggestion for a theme is:
- (okay completing the persian faction would be selfish) :wicked:
- a 3rd daemon-based faction in contribution to magi/tech. there should be no humans in it, only a group of wild monsters
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

Idanwin

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: 24 July 2008, 09:01:03 »
If it has to fit in mag/tech then:
-Barbarians (I started making this one, but didn't have any models)
-Alchemists (They are a mix of Magi and Tech)

I already suggested them in another message too.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Idanwin »

Ayrin Greenflag

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostinn.com/ayrin
mmorpgrt
« Reply #31 on: 24 July 2008, 13:06:44 »
Count on me for the Mmorpg it's 2 year i  want to transform my MMorpg in 3d rt.
take a look to that if u have not done yet
www.lostinn.com/kallen
there is already a detailed background with stories, maps of lands, gods and races. And we can add some more ideas
if u consider it good for the project i will be happy to use the lostinn site as base (i'm converting all the site in php..slowly)

for the network game, i've tryed it and seems to work pretty well, maybe some adjustment is needed, but the main problem with a mmorpg is to tie the game with a database for keep memory of players and monsters positions

got a view of saga..it's nice but we could make better..mixing mmorpg with mmorts playing as lord or as adventurer (lords could search adventurers for guide expeditions so the 2 games could be comined)
mmm maybe i'm running too much :) lol

ps i've got a barbarian model to be revisited and used

www.lostinn.com/glest/conan.zip
« Last Edit: 24 July 2008, 13:36:13 by Ayrin Greenflag »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #32 on: 24 July 2008, 13:32:50 »
You want to remake the game client based?

Ayrin Greenflag

• Horseman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: 24 July 2008, 13:38:24 »
it's the only way to make a mmorpg i think
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Ayrin Greenflag »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #34 on: 24 July 2008, 13:44:51 »
Well, I tried this game, but it's too hard for my mind :P especially, because I can barely see anything, 'cause it puts the pictures on the texts... I can't help you in this project, maybe only with some content ideas.

Nihilirian

(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: 26 July 2008, 06:03:14 »
Ooooh my god !

You all went from far away to the moon. wtf are you all talking this unreal shit.

How old is everybody here :D

Lets start from the specification. I guess we are not doing it professional because most of us (no offense) are not familiar with good organized teamwork - so lets do it freestyle organization.

My thoughts and expectations:

0) Sci - fi story.
1) 3 or 4 incredibly distinctive races
2) Incredibly balanced
3) Fast paced - build fast, rush, build next wave of units, attack, defend...
4) Make everything smaller - half the size of how the units appear now - this will ensure many things we need - mass unit production, good control and overview of the armies...and some mo ...

I have several ideas for a story and race identities. I want to hear yours first. Go on, keep it short and tight. We will expand it later. The main idea is important now, not the details.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Nihilirian »

Ayrin Greenflag

• Horseman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: 26 July 2008, 08:38:45 »
oh god man! you could say that before so we don't talk so much :) lol
so let's thing in german way
Races
1) i will like 1 race that use animals for carry weapons example some sort of beeg beetle for laser cannons .. biped lizard animals for cavalery...pterodatyl clone for aircraft
2) a morphing race the apprentice can morph in a battlemage, we could use this for larger abilitie of the race ..could be biological or mechanic...the warrior could became a flying warrior...or the tank could became a mine and hardvest ore
Balancing
well u go to balance on the road creating new units or make levels upper or lower
------
your point 3 are that scenarios?
Size
well size really doesn't matter lol
as we have to create everything we can build it of any size

ehm we have also to create the terrain tiles i supose
bye for now
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Ayrin Greenflag »

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: 26 July 2008, 10:56:01 »
Okay, sci-fi sounds good because its something new (besides Nihilirians's mod which was that way). I also like the fast-gamng style, this can be done by xml-configuration.
I think we should only speed up buildings (buildtime, production). Also there should be defenceguns whih have high attack but low health so you need troops to cover them or they will be rushed. Units should last some time on field, but that always depends (equal units will slay each other one on one). Lets say: You need 5 units to kill 1 unit with first attack.

And story, we could take only one star at first, so only one race and ofter that you can add another one. This is as ever to keep it not too much work but enough to track on quality.

I think they should be like humans that way they have fingers for weapons and 2-legs; or more legs but a body like a Centaurus (so a part of body looks lke human skeleton; no spider-insect that wont even be able to use a hammer).

Then weapons like lasers but with "technology"background: One fires fast but inacurate and only middle damage (wonder if that can be done). Other has big laser with slow recharge and bg bubblefire (splashdamage). There can be tanks but only without turret and i think like in glest it should be obvious where the driver is.

Okay my little flood of thought...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by weedkiller »

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #38 on: 26 July 2008, 11:15:20 »
You mean, that we play the story through, or we just write it somewhere, and the game will be simple deathmatch like?

erandur

(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: 27 July 2008, 11:36:59 »
We want more tactics IMHO. Not just creating as fast as you can, but there need to be some need for using your brains. If I may say it like that. :D

And perhaps, this of course is a bit more detailed, and will require programming. :} We could implant a flanking bonus. So people can build like a main force, which a few minor groups, waiting for the right time. That used to be a much used tactic in the middle ages, pretty it is still used, and pretty sure it will be used in the future.

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

anything