Author Topic: Dwarf faction  (Read 96607 times)

jda

Re: Dwarf faction
« Reply #275 on: 19 February 2010, 20:07:58 »
You're a waste of time, Arch, you really are. And I'm done wasting mine on you.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #276 on: 19 February 2010, 20:51:35 »
Well, I think the problem is that you are talking about lefts and rights in terms of your view, that of course is not the right way to view lefts and rights in 3D modeling, you have to think in perspective of the units position and direction faced, understand?

I don't understand why you're making such a big deal out of this!
Lefts and rights may or may not be the problem, but the nozzle is to the right of 0° on the y axis, and it is pointing in the direction of 0° on the y axis, therefore it is pointing to the left.

You know, I think I know what your all upset about, but you provided me with pictures that made me think you were arguing about that, please just tell me what the problem is!!!
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Little Helper

« Reply #277 on: 20 February 2010, 09:44:48 »
DON'T ARGUE OR W.E! anyways check this is for the Dwarf Faction:
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=5068.0

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #278 on: 25 February 2010, 01:02:47 »
So, any idea when the next update is going to be released?  ???
Just wondering...no rush.  :)

jda

« Reply #279 on: 25 February 2010, 01:18:40 »
Well... the skyship's mesh is nearly finished (pic below) but I'll only be moving to texturing and animation afterwards.
Also, I recently realised you cannot have a land unit morph to an air unit (made a new topic on this but I'm afraid I don't really expecta any sollution).
A quick workaround would be to make the engineer produce instead of morph the skyship. But I certainly don't want that.
So... I'll have to make a new building (have the concept art already).

Still, this is all taking a long time... So I guess I could release something WITHOUT the skyship (the corrections I randomly made and a few more to make it worth while) in a week or two.
(this will include most units and particles XML's, a few remodels/reanimations (the anims for now should stick to the flame team ones made by Archmage) and hopefully, if time permits, adding team color to three units which have none).
Oh, I might steal a pig from the Tech to be produced by the farm (for now, this dirty hack will have to do; one huge advantage of the dwarves, which adds to their "too powerful" status, is having no prerequisite to build the warrior's hall ...)

Will try a week, giving two maximum delay, ok?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #280 on: 25 February 2010, 01:44:05 »
I'd like to do some more work on this mod, what's the next thing on the list? :)
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #281 on: 25 February 2010, 23:46:07 »
I apologized for my words but my position on this is the same: I prefer to not work with you.

You flamed me twice before. I won't get upset at your next flame just 'cause we're working together.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #282 on: 26 February 2010, 02:04:52 »
Flaming?
CAll my confusion what you like, but you can't stop me from helping, what's next?
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: 26 February 2010, 02:45:14 »
you can't stop me from helping
He surely doesn't have to collaborate with you or share his work either. :P  Hopefully the two of you can get along and continue to improve this mod, but you can't force yourself into a partnership with someone who doesn't want to work with you.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #284 on: 26 February 2010, 13:12:00 »
Actually we were working together, then he got me all confused said I was flaming him.....
Care to clear that up for me, Jda? :(
Egypt Remastered!

modman

« Reply #285 on: 26 February 2010, 21:02:06 »
Hmm, maybe it's time to take this into PM and get back on topic, eh?

jda

« Reply #286 on: 26 February 2010, 21:07:56 »
Hmm, maybe it's time to take this into PM and get back on topic, eh?
Yeah, guess you're right.
Sorry folks! :-[

EDIT: The above post to Sir Modman refers to a post I just deleted now.
Archmage actually sent his reply to me by PM, quoting my entire (now deleted) post.
I think we'll work out something the two of us. :)

End of OT. ;D
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 00:25:29 by jda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #287 on: 26 February 2010, 21:18:09 »
Yea, I was thinking maybe PM would be more appropriate.....

Hold on a slight sec...done.
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 21:26:13 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #288 on: 27 February 2010, 16:25:25 »
I actually thought of this before seeing your 3D Art requests topic...
So here's a request following your own request-model from that thread, slightly changed (in italic):

Username: jda
Models: Following Dwarf units from Dwarf Gimli release (wciow's): Worker, Miner, Warrior, Guardian, Dragon Slayer, Cannoneer and Engineer (all size 1 units really :P)
Polygons to use: N/a
Model quality: N/a
Unwrapped: N/a
Unwrap quality: N/a
Rigging: The exact same of a flame crew (one of the dwarves) from the flame team you rigged before. ;)
Animations needed: Walking (for now ;D )
Frame range: 8
Animation quality: Pretty much the same as the flame team's dwarves. :P
G3Ds: No, I'll export myself

Your walking animation does look better than wciow's original. Being that other than the flamer (the weapon + hose + barrel) it is basically made of two size 1 dwarves, geting that rig (for later use too) into each of the mentioned units and then also importing the walking animation should do most of the job.
Only one remark: Use the poses you did for the back dwarf (i.e. "small"), which moves both arms, but the one you did before you bent his back forward (none of those other units will be carrying anything like a barrel on their backs :P)

This is my request for now. It is tedious work - repetitive... And I was thinking of doing it myself. If it's too tedious for you, just do ONE of the units. I'll then copy that to each other. ;)
BTW, I don't remember now: How many bones compose the spine on your rig? I guess we'll need at least two, to make a later breathing anim for the standing animation. (I think, never actually done one ;D ;D ;D )
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 16:27:08 by jda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #289 on: 27 February 2010, 18:27:29 »
Username: jda
Models: Following Dwarf units from Dwarf Gimli release (wciow's): Worker, Miner, Warrior, Guardian, Dragon Slayer, Cannoneer and Engineer (all size 1 units really Tongue)
Polygons to use: N/a
Model quality: N/a
Unwrapped: N/a
Unwrap quality: N/a
Rigging: The exact same of a flame crew (one of the dwarves) from the flame team you rigged before. Wink
Animations needed: Walking (for now Grin )
Frame range: 8
Animation quality: Pretty much the same as the flame team's dwarves. Tongue
G3Ds: No, I'll export myself

Ok, you give me the .blends all ready to be rigged, then I'll rig and animate each one.

Your walking animation does look better than wciow's original.

Thanks.

just do ONE of the units. I'll then copy that to each other

That sounds like it will save me a lot of time, let's do it that way.

Would you like a go at the first walking anim, I really don't know how much experience you have with animation, so maybe you can surprise me! ;D
« Last Edit: 27 February 2010, 18:31:28 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #290 on: 28 February 2010, 03:03:41 »
Ok, you give me the .blends all ready to be rigged, then I'll rig and animate each one.
The units I asked to be rigged and animated are all from wciow's gimli release. I thought you had those...  :-\
Anyways, I thought of uploading the engineer's .blend but, erm, there is NO engineer .blend in wciow's blends! :P
I suppose wciow extracted it from the flame team .blend... And if he didn't, I sure am doing it! Already done other than two missing objects: the engineer's backpack and his wrench... I'll try and get them from the .g3d's and edit this post when I have it. ;)
And BTW, I kinda chnaged my ... plans! I think I know what is the problem with wciow's walking anims and I think I can fix them. If so, I guess it would actually be cool to have two different walking animations in the faction! ;)
But I want the engineer to walk like the flame team. And you already rigged the flame team and did its walking so... ;D

BTW, I finally downloaded the last .blend for the flame team you'd posted. I only did minor changes but I did them about everywhere! :P
- Tilted the head back to vertical in one anim that had it leaning way back - I assumed it was a leftover of something you didn't get to fix.
- Cut the gap off in between the barrel and the back dwarf. Oddly enough that only appeared on the standing and walking anims, the attacking and dying were fine, so maybe it was me who actually messed it up (lol).
- Fixed a glitch with the hand of the dwarf going inside the flame tube on some steps of the attacking anim
- Maybe something more i don't remember now. Hey, it's Saturday but it's late down here! :P
If there's something you disagree with, just tell me. ;)
Here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?m2johyayojt

Your walking animation does look better than wciow's original.

Thanks.
Yeah, there is a "pause" in wciow's anim, probably the last frame is just like the first. That's what I'll try to fix. If that is the problem, I will then be able to really compare the quality of both anims.

just do ONE of the units. I'll then copy that to each other

That sounds like it will save me a lot of time, let's do it that way.
Sure, no prob! :) Do the engineer once I get you a link to the .blend! ;)
BTW... there is currently no equipment (objects) but there is an armature. Do you want it in the model? It... already is in a walking pose... lol I don't think you want it but if you do, just tell me. ;)

Would you like a go at the first walking anim, I really don't know how much experience you have with animation, so maybe you can surprise me! ;D
Not really, none before I looked at your first flame team's anim  and considering what I just said yes, I do expect to surprise you! ;D

On that subject, I've edited the outrider model already (spear and horns), redid the attacking anim (loosely based on wciow's) and edited the standing pose (spear held in different position) and exported all other anims (from changed model).
Now that armature (by wciow) really was challenging to me and I'm not completely satisfied with my results (I mean what I did already).
But anyways, here's the attacking animation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmhiiwumomi

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #291 on: 28 February 2010, 04:16:59 »
I actually don't have dwarves on my CPU, I believe I may have an older version on my Linux computer, but on my laptop I don't have Dwarves...
And I can't look at that G3D of the rider, because I don't have the texture so it complains and terminates itself. :P

All I need it the .blend for the engineer with his equipment, and I'll rig it myself. ;D
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #292 on: 28 February 2010, 05:10:53 »
I just imported the bloody engineer from the g3d... Rather easier that way... lol
http://www.mediafire.com/?tumzdyjyzfz

Folder containing the outrider attack g3d + the two .tga files:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9454d43357b12a907432d3c9683f450ac4c3e323d69607f2bf1b77d2eb488dac

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #293 on: 28 February 2010, 05:28:59 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=9454d43357b12a907432d3c9683f450ac4c3e323d69607f2bf1b77d2eb488dac

I'm now concluding that that model needs a new rig!!! :P
I'll do it later tomorrow. ;)
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #294 on: 28 February 2010, 17:53:19 »

I'm now concluding that that model needs a new rig!!! :P
I'm concluding you blaming the armature is your kind way of telling me my animation skills suck! :P Well, thanks for the kindess, I guess! ;D
But the armature does have some glitches. E.g. the bone of the right forearm (called "hand.r") in my animation (the right arm was completely inanimated before btw) is close to a 90º angle around the Y axis from the upper bone ("bicep.r") though the actual vertices linked to the forearm bone are only slightly rotated => rotate the bone a bit more and the forearm will loop around!  ::)
There are other such glitches that make it complex to implement what you were thinking of doing...

I'll do it later tomorrow. ;)
Please DON'T!
You don't have the blend with the changed model (spear length) which I still have to adjust a bit more. It now goes a little bit too far away which I think is better than for it to go quite a bit too short...
I think how it is now should work for the first release that should be coming in a half to one and a half week's time... ;)
And I still have other stuff to do on it! :P

What your comments on my changes to the flame team?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #295 on: 28 February 2010, 18:51:36 »
I'm concluding you blaming the armature is your kind way of telling me my animation skills suck! Tongue Well, thanks for the kindess, I guess! Grin

No, I saw the rig, it looks pretty strange... :P

rotate the bone a bit more and the forearm will loop around!  Roll Eyes

That's extremely easy to fix...think about it... ;D ::)

There are other such glitches that make it complex to implement what you were thinking of doing...

What was I thinking of doing...all I can remember is thinking about a new rig... ???

Please DON'T!
You don't have the blend with the changed model (spear length) which I still have to adjust a bit more. It now goes a little bit too far away which I think is better than for it to go quite a bit too short...
I think how it is now should work for the first release that should be coming in a half to one and a half week's time... Wink
And I still have other stuff to do on it! Tongue

Why don't you just get the model prepared, and then I'll make a new rig for it, then you should have another go at animating it! ;)
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #296 on: 28 February 2010, 19:34:07 »
I'm concluding you blaming the armature is your kind way of telling me my animation skills suck! Tongue Well, thanks for the kindess, I guess! Grin

No, I saw the rig, it looks pretty strange... :P
Lol. I guess.
Though, I'm not sure this is what you're refering to but, having a single armature for both rhynox and rider objects makes it easier to have the rider follow the rhynox movements automatically. So I actually like that. ;)

rotate the bone a bit more and the forearm will loop around!  Roll Eyes

That's extremely easy to fix...think about it... ;D ::)
I guess. In Edit mode, right?...
Still that was just an example. Most every rider's bone have that kind of problem (the rhynox's are better). And I got lazy about fixing it all... :P

What was I thinking of doing...all I can remember is thinking about a new rig... ???
That's alright. :)

Please DON'T!
I think how it is now should work for the first release that should be coming in a half to one and a half week's time... Wink
And I still have other stuff to do on it! Tongue

Why don't you just get the model prepared, and then I'll make a new rig for it, then you should have another go at animating it! ;)
Because I have no more time to devote to the outrider now. :P
And because I have to look at two problems with the spear:
1. It now goes too far ahead of the target. This actually was a consequence of trying to work around point 2 below but I think I over did it.  :-\
2. A size 2 unit (like the outrider) does not align its center to the center of a size 1 target. Instead, it aligns one of its two cellmap rows/columns to the size 1 target's position. The result: the tip of the spear will always aim at the side of the target!
  So I looked at Tech's horseman to see how it went around it and that's where I realised it simply pushed the spear a bit more forward - being that the spear will aim farther away, that increases the chances that it's trajectory will go through the target. ;) So that's what I tried to do with the outrider but as I said, overdid it...
  Then I thought of something (all animations already exported) that might work better IF... If the size 2 unit's row that aligns with the size 1 is always the same, then I can point the tip of the spear to that side, instead of to the center of both sides. ;) I actually had tried this but... I made a mistake and pointed it to the wrong side! LOL  :-\ :-[

So I'll have to test all this better after the first release. You'll have the blend ready to rig shortly after, ok?

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #297 on: 28 February 2010, 19:43:07 »
I believe all of your problems could be solved pretty quickly, but you go ahead and do it your way...

What are you devoting your time to besides the rhynox?

Nope. ::)
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #298 on: 28 February 2010, 19:48:49 »
Sorry 'bout that, Arch. I WAS being silly! ;D
Yeah, the spear's size WILL BE depent on the animation so I guess I can work it out a lot better if I already have a better rig. ;)

Will upload the current .blend in a moment...

EDIT: Uploaded to:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mmyzmmxlqzz

EDIT #2: Removed file above from mediafire. It was NOT the latest! New file uploaded, see my second post after this one.
« Last Edit: 1 March 2010, 00:04:18 by jda »

jda

« Reply #299 on: 28 February 2010, 20:02:44 »
What are you devoting your time to besides the rhynox?
Buildings' models/sizes: Farm done, Warriors Hall WIP, Foundry will follow. Simple rescaling won't cut it 'cause the doors/gateways are correctly scaled and some of those buildings were recctangular, they must be square for the cellmaps to work.
Will do the same for the bombard if I get the time.
XML's: Balancing and all that. :P

Nope. ::)
No?... I can move the bones around in Edit mode, to adjust to their corresponding vertices... no?
How then? Care to point me to some link or something? (not really needed for now, just for future reference)

P.s.: Sorry for DP... :(

anything