Author Topic: I got some ideas for GAE.  (Read 4599 times)

ArKabZol

I got some ideas for GAE.
« on: 5 August 2008, 21:38:37 »
Making these ideas for GAE as Glest doesn't seem to be in very much development.

• I was thinking that units could have a carry skill.
    e.g. Special airships that could carry an amount small land units (such as workers and swordsmen)
    Also could show the (amount of) stored units in the top right.

Another similar skill to this could be a mount function.
    e.g. Dragons could get stronger/get greater sight by mounting a Battlemage. (Probably a model and image change)

• Objects that could be bigger than one space. (Could be an abandoned house to stand with resources or something like that)

This could be done already by making special custom objects that fit together with others when you think of it. Although, it could be a problem when you drag the mouse with this object selected in the map editor in its current state.

Also, it could be a problem with different tileset support, but I guess that could be overseen with that the objects with greater size was had the same size in all tilesets.

• Underwater/Swimming/Hybrid units.
    e.g. A unit could walk on land but then go into the water to swim (increased speed?) or underwater to walk.

Thought this could be possible by making water-borne and underwater on another field (like land and air) and then making the unit who was going to walk into the water morphable when next to(if land)/above(if flying) a body of water (requirement of size and depth of the water body when underwater?).

Also, if right clicked in the water the unit automatically morphs into "water-mode" (This could be turned on and off in the xml for the unit)

• Chat in the game menu for when playing online, not much to say.

They're a bit many, but I hope they will be helpful.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ArKabZol »

Platyhelminth

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 6 August 2008, 18:21:48 »
Yes, these features are present in other RTS games and could be fun.

There is other features that I would like to see in glest/gae :

_ Choosing between dumb and intelligent mode for archimage (in intelligent mode; he would not attack an ennemy unit if there is an allied unit in the zone of effect of the archimage attack)

_mass move of units in formations.

_we can make that moves can follow an itinerary with the help of the minimap.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Platyhelminth »

ArKabZol

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 6 August 2008, 21:13:45 »
I got another idea.

It's tunnels. You have an opening which is an invisible object that - when attacked - break, reveals itself and you can go in. When you enter the tunnel, the ground above facing the camera will become transparent so you can see your units under ground. Several spaces should probably be included. Maybe it should be randomized so you won't have to change too much on the map file contains itself. And probably set if you want it on or not when starting a game.

Also, if you're underground you shouldn't be able to shoot through the ground/opening. But you have to break the opening and reveal yourself. You may want open tunnels from the beginning too, which could be a sub-setting in the game menu to the tunnels option.
e.g. You switch to yes on tunnels, an "open tunnels?" option becomes active.

This is pretty much all I have to say about this. My other ideas weren't very original and had appeared in other RTSes (mainly Warcraft) but I hope this will be something new :)

ZaggyDad

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 6 August 2008, 21:51:40 »
Make the top only become partially transparent. That would look better.

~Zaggy
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ZaggyDad »

ArKabZol

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 7 August 2008, 00:59:46 »
Quote from: "ZaggyDad"
Make the top only become partially transparent. That would look better.

~Zaggy

Hmm... true. I was thinking that it could fade into the area where it's transparent.

@kukac@

topic
« Reply #5 on: 7 August 2008, 09:23:52 »
I like this tunnel idea, I like it :D
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by @kukac@ »

ArKabZol

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 7 August 2008, 10:23:40 »
It was actually sort of my dad's, but I thought of how it could work :lol:

EDIT:

Magic could have a unit in path of nature which sucks up gold or stone out of the ground to be mined. Tech digging their tunnels there would therefore get no gold or stone out of that ground :)

P.S. Should I keep coming with more ideas or does it seem to be enough?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2008, 19:01:04 »
I like the tunnel and carry skill ideas. It would be pretty cool to take a archmage on the dragons  back! 8)
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by omega »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

daniel.santos

Re: I got some ideas for GAE.
« Reply #8 on: 28 October 2008, 21:18:50 »
Quote from: "ArKabZol"
1. I was thinking that units could have a carry skill.
This has already been discussed, but thanks for the reminder, I got it in my new requirements doc now.

Another similar skill to this could be a mount function.
e.g. Dragons could get stronger/get greater sight by mounting a Battlemage. (Probably a model and image change)
Having a Battlemage mount a dragon and be able to attack while on the dragon is already part of the planned design (as well as archers being able to attack from the deck of a ship and spearman attacking from a mobile shed).  A unit must define what other units it can be garrisoned/contained/transported in/mounted on, etc. and what animation sequences they use, what attacks will be available (if any) and (optionally) what alternate animations should be used for those attacks.  However, having that mounting add effects is outside of my current specs and I don't think that's a direction that there's a big need for right now. Lua scripting may offer a possibility for a modder to implement it however.

2. Objects that could be bigger than one space. (Could be an abandoned house to stand with resources or something like that)
Again, I don't see a big need for this right now.  If others are hot on it, we can consider it more.

3. Underwater/Swimming/Hybrid units.
Already planned.  The specs for this is that units will be able to define more than one move skill.  Each move skill will continue to have their own animations defined (as current), but will have the added constraints (see discussion last week about proposed <available-if> and <usable-if> test framework).  Thus, a skill could be available only for cells that have a given depth range.  I've always thought that behemoths should be able to walk in -2 depth water (instead of the -1 depth that all ground units are subject to) because they are much taller.  Additionally, most humanoid units should be able to swim, although at a slower speed than walking. Whatever else you do from there is up to the modder (want to add a command to morph from a merman to a human and back?  that's up to you).

4. Chat in the game menu for when playing online, not much to say.
Press enter.

All in all, we have a lot of requested features and less people implementing them.  Thus, I think it's best for us to figure out which ones will have the most impact and work on those 1st, IMO.

Idanwin

« Reply #9 on: 18 November 2008, 21:43:29 »
1. The Air-Land morph bug is a big problem for me because I would like to make "VTOL"s.
(but this probably is going to be done at the same time as water morph)

2. Rotating turrets could be a nice feature.

3. Attacking while moving (with turrets or airplanes that drop bombs while flying over at full speed)
Ever seen an airplane stop, drop a bomb, and fly back to its base?

4. Buildings which can be entered on multiple floors. This is I think a pretty difficult thing but would allow walkable walls, putting archers on castle walls (that must be coool).
4b. Underground floors... I don't really know about this, you would have to make shure you can still see your units...

5. Building rotation (maybe this already exists) and other shapes than squares (thx javamonger).
Now you can't place a building over another, even with it's 'passable' tiles.

About water units:
Water buildings? How would they be implemented?
(i think they should be partly build on the shore)
so there should be land, water, submerged, shore and air if I'm right.
« Last Edit: 20 November 2008, 07:11:34 by Idanwin »

Idanwin

« Reply #10 on: 19 November 2008, 21:29:47 »
6. Resource costs for skills.

7. Building/Unit limit (only 1 hero or a maximum of 4 royal guards...)

8. Effects:
 -Poison (slowly drains hp)
 -Fatigue (or something, drains mp)
 -Invisibility (makes unit invisible)
 -Slow (slows unit down)
 -Stone (stones unit permanently [or until recovered by magic or maybe a mason], only for use in campaigns much to dangerous)
 -Freeze (freezes unit for a while, cannot use any skill [except unfreeze maybe], armor changes to 'ice' [higher defence], fire attacks could bring it back earlier [maybe the effect has some kind of hp])

9. Boosts: All units within range have raised Strenght, MP reg, HP reg and other

10. I don't know if this will improve anything but some units could have both a male and a female version which is randomly chosen.

11. Random stats: not every swordsman would have the same hp or other stats. The random range, of course, has to be choosable by the tech tree creator.

daniel.santos

« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2008, 00:00:56 »
Quote from: "Idanwin"
1. The Air-Land morph bug is a big problem for me because I would like to make "VTOL"s.
(but this probably is going to be done at the same time as water morph)
Please elaborate

2. Rotating turrets could be a nice feature.
Again, please elaborate

3. Attacking while moving (with turrets or airplanes that drop bombs while flying over at full speed)
Yea, we were talking about this at one point and I agree.  If I get your meaning on #2, then they would share some of the same functionality as you would have a portion of the model (a set of meshes) for the rotating and non-rotating parts of your unit or you would have one model for the base and another for the rotating part.  This is also something that's been discussed with "housed units", that can attack while the housing unit is moving or engaging in other actions.

4. Buildings which can be entered on multiple floors. This is I think a pretty difficult thing but would allow walkable walls, putting archers on castle walls (that must be coool).
4b. Underground floors... I don't really know about this, you would have to make shure you can still see your units...
Yea, those will take more radical alterations of the engine, as walkable walls will as well.  Perhaps we can think this one out more in the future, but I'm not thinking it's a 0.3.x feature.

5. Building rotation (maybe this already exists) and other shapes than squares (thx javamonger).
Now you can't place a building over another, even with it's 'passable' tiles.
Right, we discussed this in #glest, I think that's something that can go in 0.3 and I'm already working on some complimentary features, like being able to restrict a build site (or any skill execution) to the proximity to another unit type or map object type, that way, you can have add-on structures similar to starcraft (and I want to do that for the FPM crypt).  This will also support the FPM grove because it is supposed to be built in a treed area.

About water units:
Water buildings? How would they be implemented?
(i think they should be partly build on the shore)
so there should be land, water, submerged, shore and air if I'm right.
Will have to think more on that one.  I've only thought through water-moving units, by adding multiple move skills, each with a set of restrictions on water depth, that way a unit can start swimming (but slower) when entering water.  But I hadn't thought of how to manage a static water structure.  This poses challenges for how the cell map is managed as you may want to specify which cells must be on land and which in water.

6. Resource costs for skills.
Already in the works, as are locally stored resources.  There is also a skill in the 0.3 branch (very unstable) that allows the restoration of either HP, EP or a locally stored resource (the later of which isn't actually implemented yet), so you can have, for instance, a refuling station and tanks with a finite amount of fuel.

7. Building/Unit limit (only 1 hero or a maximum of 4 royal guards...)
Interesting.  This should already be possible with a static, hidden resource and a starting value implemented in faction.xml.  Add a resource like "royal-guards" or "heros" and add <display value="false"/>, this doesn't appear to be documented in the glest wikia and should be added. Then, you simply add a resource requirement to your hero and/or guard, etc.

8. Effects:
 -Poison (slowly drains hp)
 -Fatigue (or something, drains mp)
 -Invisibility (makes unit invisible)
 -Slow (slows unit down)
 -Stone (stones unit permanently [or until recovered by magic or maybe a mason], only for use in campaigns much to dangerous)
 -Freeze (freezes unit for a while, cannot use any skill [except unfreeze maybe], armor changes to 'ice' [higher defence], fire attacks could bring it back earlier [maybe the effect has some kind of hp])
Already done!  Except for invisibility and maybe stone & freeze, although you can probably make stone & freeze work right now, you wont get the visuals that it should have.  Invisibility will need to be added for the FPM acolyte, but it will be a selective visibility.  I think we'll have to define "vision fields" and then specify which units can see those fields and which can't.

For the stone, you use an effect, add <permanent/> to the <flags>, and set the speed multiplier of all skills to zero.  This is a hack and if they receive another effect which adds to their skill speed multipliers, it will partially undo the effect (maybe you can also add a huge negative static modifier, I'm not 100% certain I check to correct negative skill speed values :).  Check out the wikia reference here.  Freeze would be the same hack as stone, also, you can have a skill (like a repair/restore skill) remove negative effects as a mechanism for cancelling the stone/freeze, but what's sorely needed is the ability to alter available commands (will be added for FPM acolyte again) and induce better visual effects and even secondary models on the target unit's animation.

Be aware that setting the move speed negative probably still causes the units to move in the opposite direction that they intended to.  I left this in because it looked cool when testing, like they were being blown backwards (which may be desirable for some attacks).  Also, don't bother with any of the ai-hints for now because they aren't hooked up yet.

9. Boosts: All units within range have raised Strenght, MP reg, HP reg and other
See above wikia page and look at the emanations, it's already done.  You can look at the FPM paladin for an example.  For an example of a negative emanation that effects enemies, look at the crusader.

10. I don't know if this will improve anything but some units could have both a male and a female version which is randomly chosen.
Yea, I like that idea, to have a "media variant" for each unit, so it chooses from a different pool of animations, models and sounds.  Probably a post 0.3 or 0.4 feature, but a very worthwhile one, I would like to see if personally.

11. Random stats: not every swordsman would have the same hp or other stats. The random range, of course, has to be choosable by the tech tree creator.
Yea, that could be useful, but probably low priority.  Perhaps the unit's definition could just define a variance, much like damage variance is specified.

Idanwin

« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2008, 07:10:48 »
Thanks I didn't know about some things they already existed.
This wasn't meant for 0.3 but just were ideas that could be implemented in a future version of GAE.

daniel.santos

« Reply #13 on: 28 November 2008, 17:04:04 »
yw.  I was thinking that with being able to rotate buildings before you build them that we should be able to have buildings that are non-square (i.e., 3x5 instead of 5x5), but if we do the cellmap as you suggested (i.e., only cells used need to be free on the map to build) then it wont really matter.  So to complete that, we could either leave the selection circle like it is, or we can modify it to be oval shaped for oblong buildings.  That's one I'll have to think about personally and I'll take feedback.  Perhaps it can be specified in the unit's definition.

Idanwin

« Reply #14 on: 1 December 2008, 11:05:36 »
What about morph on dead?
Would that be a good feature for GAE?

Or does it already exist

osiris

« Reply #15 on: 1 December 2008, 23:38:15 »
i'd like put put in my two cents here, even though all i do is play glest. ::)
i really like the tunnels idea.
and if you could establish a trade route with your allies (if any) to trade the resource you have most of for the resource you have least of.
there would be a unit that carries the resources from their castle/mage tower to yours. (i.e. a conestoga wagon for tech, and a large, four-legged pack lizard for magic.)
and if the glestimals thing gets figured out, then raiders could be implemented (with a castle-type building that only produced raiders), adding a who new element to glest.

daniel.santos

« Reply #16 on: 2 December 2008, 02:03:55 »
What about morph on dead?
Would that be a good feature for GAE?

Or does it already exist
No, there is no feature like that already.  I could see a number of uses for it however.  It may be possible with lua, but I haven't looked at that just yet.  There are lots of useful things that can be triggered by a unit's death.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 December 2008, 01:07:55 »
I like the tunnel idea.  I was thinking it would go well with dwarves or an insectoid faction, like the Klackon from Master of Orion 3.