Author Topic: New Faction: Dark Magic Version 3.1 released!!!  (Read 73885 times)

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
Re: New Faction: Dark Magic Version 3.1 released!!!
« Reply #200 on: 8 June 2009, 00:35:03 »
Forgive me for butting in here, I quite like the one archmage posted, if you want to check out some more though, do a image seach for 'succubus', that should return some sweet pics.

ie. A quick poke around on deviantART came up with these,
http://irikoy.deviantart.com/art/Succubus-23355340
http://ryankinnaird.deviantart.com/art/Succubus-118188861
http://nocturnal-prince.deviantart.com/art/Succubus-64989349
http://rakufordevian.deviantart.com/art/Succubus-67494889

Obviously they'd need to be modified somewhat... but certainly good enough as a reference.

Cheers [and good luck to all of you, I'm eagerly anticipating the results of this collaboration]
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

modman

« Reply #201 on: 8 June 2009, 00:41:42 »
Yes.  We don't want to get too sexual in nature with the art or we'll start attracting a different crowd to Glest.  Plus who says we have the right to do that.  But silnarm is definitely on the right track.  Maybe art would be best on the Animation Instructions topic.

Oh, BTW, I'm scrapping that "sinistress" name because I told my brother Mark and he told me how crappy it sounded.

For someone who knows, do you think that Dark Magic is too strong because of the strong units it can get in the end?
« Last Edit: 8 June 2009, 00:59:32 by modman »

modman

« Reply #202 on: 9 June 2009, 02:18:19 »
I have modified the initial post to include the faction diagram.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 9 June 2009, 04:06:42 »
Here's what I think of it.  As you can see, I moved the Reaper > Alliyp to be summoned from the Wicca ring (whatever we end up naming it), and I replaced the Bahamut with a Balrog.  Either the Imp or the Morlock could probably afford to go, since they're both supposed to be the cannon fodder, right?  Also, I removed the Grag and the units that came from him (seemed unnecessary).  As for stationary defense units, do there really need to be both a Fury of the Tiki and an Earth Serpent?  What are a Tartaro and an Alliyp?  An upgrade called Magik?  The Tower of Wisdom and the Energy Fountain could also stand to have much more sinister names.  Tower of Pain and Fountain of Blood, perhaps?  What does a Time Orb have to do with air and fire magic?  I'm still not too sure about the Baphomet, either.

Of course, these are all just my own opinions.

MadElf

« Reply #204 on: 9 June 2009, 11:50:14 »
Look at that:

http://spellforce.jowood.com/?rid=1091&lang=en ( I kniow they are Dark ELves, but we could just use the idea for humans).

And buildings:

http://spellforce.jowood.com/?rid=1160&lang=en

modman

« Reply #205 on: 9 June 2009, 19:41:14 »
Here's what I think of it.  As you can see, I moved the Reaper > Alliyp to be summoned from the Wicca ring (whatever we end up naming it), and I replaced the Bahamut with a Balrog.  Either the Imp or the Morlock could probably afford to go, since they're both supposed to be the cannon fodder, right?  Also, I removed the Grag and the units that came from him (seemed unnecessary).  As for stationary defense units, do there really need to be both a Fury of the Tiki and an Earth Serpent?  What are a Tartaro and an Alliyp?  An upgrade called Magik?  The Tower of Wisdom and the Energy Fountain could also stand to have much more sinister names.  Tower of Pain and Fountain of Blood, perhaps?  What does a Time Orb have to do with air and fire magic?  I'm still not too sure about the Baphomet, either.

Of course, these are all just my own opinions.

First of all, the Morlock and the Imp have separate purposes.  The Morlock is for swarming your enemy, and the Imp is effective alone.  "Magik" upgrade allows one to build some of the units in the sorcery ring, and also is required for the Tower of Wisdom to attack.  it is a good idea, because "Magik" requires that the other two upgrades be done first, which means that only after all upgrades have been finished in the Tower of Wisdom will attack, and there will be no conflicts with researching (I think that the AI was having troubles because if it set to attack while researching something, it had to stop researching).

Renaming the buildings is fine, and the names you proposed are fine.  The Earth Serpent and the Fury of the Tiki (I think I will rename it to God's Bane, because it is a cooler name and because it is strong defense) are early and late game defense, respectively.  The Tartaro is a heavy melee unit, and the Allyp is a cross between a spirit and a mage.

Also, a new concept for the Time Orb would be just fine with me.

And with the art, it's not my job, but let's see what our artists come up with and then, if they need ideas, go to other games.

modman

« Reply #206 on: 10 June 2009, 02:06:48 »
I have changed the faction diagram again.  It incorporates the things you wanted, John, and also some of the things I wanted.  I cut the unit count down, so that's always good, too.

Changes
  • Moved Reaper-->Alliyp part
  • Renamed Wicca ring to ring of power
  • Renamed tower of wisdom to pain tower
  • Renamed fury of the tiki to gods bane
  • Added Balrog
  • Removed dark warrior
  • Removed bahamut
  • Renamed reaper to dark elder
  • Renamed energy fountain to blood fountain
  • Renamed witch to sorceress
  • Removed tartaro

assassin

« Reply #207 on: 10 June 2009, 06:25:37 »
I think fountain of blood and tower of pain sound better, but that's just my opinion.

modman

« Reply #208 on: 10 June 2009, 19:18:20 »
OK but those are minor changes.  Those are easily done.  But I appreciate the feedback!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 10 June 2009, 22:19:42 »
I kniow they are Dark ELves, but we could just use the idea for humans
I think somebody shared a link to this game a while ago, and I thought the Dark Elves were pretty cool.  I especially like the Onyx Shrine, Mind Breaker, and Onyx Tower, and I think all three look like good concepts for Dark Magic.  I'm actually thinking of making a Dark Elf faction when I'm done with Sun and Moon, but that's a long way off.

The Earth Serpent and the Fury of the Tiki (I think I will rename it to God's Bane, because it is a cooler name and because it is strong defense) are early and late game defense, respectively.
With the Earth Serpent, God's Bane, and Tower of Pain, I think Dark Magic is going to be a very defense-oriented faction.  This could be a good thing in that it will make playing with Dark Magic different than playing with Magic or Tech, but it might be a little more work to balance.

MadElf

« Reply #210 on: 10 June 2009, 23:43:40 »
I kniow they are Dark ELves, but we could just use the idea for humans
I think somebody shared a link to this game a while ago, and I thought the Dark Elves were pretty cool.  I especially like the Onyx Shrine, Mind Breaker, and Onyx Tower, and I think all three look like good concepts for Dark Magic.  I'm actually thinking of making a Dark Elf faction when I'm done with Sun and Moon, but that's a long way off.

It was me to the Dwarven faction.

I too love the Tower of Sorcery, I think we could base the Tower of Pain on that one, because it looks just so cool.
And I like teh Arcanum building as a kin of research building, we could do something with that too.

modman

« Reply #211 on: 14 June 2009, 02:49:04 »
I've made a final version of the faction diagram.  I like it a lot, but it utilizes a new building, the Beast Trap.  Please comment, someone!  Do you like this change, or not?  And also, I would prefer, to be the least confusing, to not create any more versions so that all can be not confused about naming, and what units to model.  If I stop making changes, the modelers can know that the models they make will be used in the faction.

MadElf

« Reply #212 on: 14 June 2009, 03:19:53 »
I like it too, better than before.
And why don't you change the name to Bestiary?

modman

« Reply #213 on: 14 June 2009, 03:22:49 »
A beastiary is a book describing beasts, not a holding pen for them.

MadElf

« Reply #214 on: 14 June 2009, 04:23:20 »
LoL, ya kind of, but on Warcraft III The orc faction has a Bestiary building, that makes beasts, so I think it would fit, but of course is just an idea.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #215 on: 14 June 2009, 07:06:25 »
continuation of Dark Magic discussion in GLADE team topic:

nice model fluffy
« Last Edit: 14 June 2009, 18:02:39 by archmage101 »
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Fluffy203

« Reply #216 on: 14 June 2009, 17:24:09 »
Thx arch

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #217 on: 14 June 2009, 18:00:24 »
yer welcome

looks like things are moving along, and we are getting the job done well
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 14 June 2009, 21:13:28 »
I like the new diagram, but just make sure that the units don't overlap in purpose, or you'll end up with some of them never getting used.

modman

« Reply #219 on: 14 June 2009, 21:54:51 »
OK thanks.  I don't think they will overlap in purpose; you'll see when we finish the faction!

I have big ideas for this faction.  I think that if this faction is done very well it could be included in the default Glest downloaded from glest.org.  That would be very cool.  It would have to be about as balanced with Tech and Magic as Magic is with Tech right now.

GlestNewb

« Reply #220 on: 15 June 2009, 04:49:41 »
I really like this mod so I hope you guys finish it soon :3

modman

« Reply #221 on: 30 July 2009, 22:22:39 »
The following is a list of everything that will need to be completed before Dark Magic (Glade Team's current project) is done.

Models

Sheol Temple Construction
Sheol Temple Idle
Sheol Temple Destruction

Blood Fountain Construction
Blood Fountain Idle
Blood Fountain Producing
Blood Fountain Destruction

Divination Crystal Construction
Divination Crystal Idle
Divination Crystal Producing
Divination Crystal Destruction

Oblivion Portal Construction
Oblivion Portal Idle
Oblivion Portal Destruction

Pain Tower Construction
Pain Tower Idle
Pain Tower Producing
Pain Tower Attacking
Pain Tower Destruction

Gods Bane Construction
Gods Bane Idle
Gods Bane Attacking
Gods Bane Destruction

Acolyte Moving
Acolyte Idle
Acolyte Building
Acolyte Harvesting
Acolyte Mining
Acolyte Dying

Dark Elder Idle
Dark Elder Moving
Dark Elder Attacking
Dark Elder Producing
Dark Elder Morphing
Dark Elder Dying

Alliyp Idle
Alliyp Moving
Alliyp Attacking
Alliyp Dying

Earth Serpent Construction

Imp Idle
Imp Moving
Imp Attacking
Imp Dying

Gargoyle Idle
Gargoyle Moving
Gargoyle Attacking
Gargoyle Dying

Wyvern Idle
Wyvern Moving
Wyvern Attacking
Wyvern Dying

Devil Machine Idle
Devil Machine Moving
Devil Machine Attacking
Devil Machine Dying

Morlock Idle
Morlock Moving
Morlock Attacking
Morlock Dying

Shadow Walker Idle
Shadow Walker Moving
Shadow Walker Attacking
Shadow Walker Dying

Harpy Idle
Harpy Moving
Harpy Attacking
Harpy Dying

Images

Dark Magic Move
Dark Magic Stop
Dark Magic Upgrade Cancel
Dark Magic Build

Sheol Temple
Blood Fountain
Sorcery Runes
Divination Crystal
Oblivion Portal
Pain Tower
Sorceress
Morlock
Shadow Walker
Harpy
Imp
Gargoyle
Wyvern
Dark Elder
Alliyp
Devil Machine

Dark Sorcery
Aeromancy
Hellfire
Seething of the Blazes
Magik

Official Faction Diagram
« Last Edit: 3 August 2009, 20:47:30 by modman »

Zoythrus

« Reply #222 on: 29 September 2009, 02:32:56 »
sorry if this idea was already said...

if you are having any undead units, they should have an ability (after research) to have a chance at having an extra life.
i mean that if an undead unit is "killed", there would be a chance that they could get back up again (maybe with half health or something)

modman

« Reply #223 on: 29 September 2009, 02:48:12 »
Aw crap I thought I locked this.

Zoythrus, Dark Magic related posts should be made here.