Author Topic: Apocalyptic Dawn (formerly known as Military)  (Read 276443 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tech Tree -- Epic New Logo
« Reply #750 on: 3 November 2010, 23:32:53 »
Well, now it looks like a WaW wannabe almost..
true, I'd prefer something like a transport helicopter got shot down in a terrorist occupied village and the survivors have to shoot their way out to safety
Black Hawk Down :thumbup:

wyvern

« Reply #751 on: 4 November 2010, 19:37:06 »
Never saw that movie but I think its based on what happened in mogadishu sometime in 1991-2 time period

Zoythrus

« Reply #752 on: 4 November 2010, 19:42:10 »
zombies are cooler than terrorists....although maybe they should be zombie terrorists?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #753 on: 4 November 2010, 20:45:11 »
Well, now it looks like a WaW wannabe almost..
true, I'd prefer something like a transport helicopter got shot down in a terrorist occupied village and the survivors have to shoot their way out to safety
Black Hawk Down :thumbup:
I loved that movie. Still, that idea is far more complex to do well, I should think... Though a zombie should work fine, and will probably be tons of fun, no matter how overused it is! :D (Zombies + Big Guns = Fun for everyone)
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: 4 November 2010, 21:15:23 »
zombies are cooler than terrorists....although maybe they should be zombie terrorists?
That's campaign material right there!  The military is trying to root out a cult that is attempting to bring about some kind of apocalypse.  The cultists are trying to get their hands on some more military hardware with which to more effectively distribute their weaponized zombiethrax, because they believe that otherwise the governments of the world will institute an age of oppression and death.  The zombie outbreak is meant to sow chaos and disorder among the nations, so the cult can carry out the final stage of their plan.  The goal of the cult's plan is to take over the Minuteman silos and cleanse the world in holy nuclear flame,  in order to end the current age of corruption so the world can start anew.

Zoythrus

« Reply #755 on: 4 November 2010, 21:21:23 »
That's campaign material right there!  The military is trying to root out a cult that is attempting to bring about some kind of apocalypse.  The cultists are trying to get their hands on some more military hardware with which to more effectively distribute their weaponized zombiethrax, because they believe that otherwise the governments of the world will institute an age of oppression and death.  The zombie outbreak is meant to sow chaos and disorder among the nations, so the cult can carry out the final stage of their plan.  The goal of the cult's plan is to take over the Minuteman silos and cleanse the world in holy nuclear flame,  in order to end the current age of corruption so the world can start anew.

in the missions shouldnt have just like, 20 zombies...no, im thinking 150 zombies all over the place (maybe even more!). they should be those kinds of levels that get your heart pumping. they should be like puzzles, something that makes you think.

see where im going?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #756 on: 4 November 2010, 21:39:51 »
Hey! I like that idea... And it just may be possible... To possibly accomodate this concept, please note that the current release of Military is probably going to be bumped back (I've been very busy recently and haven't got much work done the last few weeks, so need more time anyway).

Zoythrus

« Reply #757 on: 4 November 2010, 21:48:32 »
i got this awesome hero name (the main character): Adelaide Johnson. He is a 6'2, fair skinned, blond haired, sunglasses-wearing, hero.

will this do?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: 4 November 2010, 22:09:49 »
Well, campaigns aren't planned until 0.5 IIRC, so you've got some time before you'd need to worry about that.  We'd also need time to make the cultists and the zombies, which would take time.

Zoythrus

« Reply #759 on: 4 November 2010, 22:12:20 »
well, if you need help with a story, mission development (ideas and stuff), or etc, contact me - im a really good story/concept writer.

Gabbe

« Reply #760 on: 5 November 2010, 14:56:04 »
I Have to say OMG OMG OMG because of the WaW copy insanely..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRhXMmffYKc

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: 5 November 2010, 17:34:11 »
I Have to say OMG OMG OMG because of the WaW copy insanely..
You mean that they just so happen to also have ZOMBIES!?  And GUNS!?  And people shooting those zombies with said guns!?  NO WAY! :o

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #762 on: 6 November 2010, 14:01:08 »
That does look epic, despite being offtopic.

There doesn't have to be true campaigns yet. It can simply be a rough campaign like End of Morning, which just has the scenarios as normal in their own category. Not sure if I'd use a single character though. Those never really work that well in a RTS (an FPS, yes). A group of soldiers in zombie-ville might be better gameplay-side.

Zoythrus

« Reply #763 on: 6 November 2010, 16:30:45 »
There doesn't have to be true campaigns yet. It can simply be a rough campaign like End of Morning, which just has the scenarios as normal in their own category. Not sure if I'd use a single character though. Those never really work that well in a RTS (an FPS, yes). A group of soldiers in zombie-ville might be better gameplay-side.

ive seen it done before where it was a hero (main character) and a small posse (like, 4 other guys). can we do that instead?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #764 on: 7 November 2010, 02:10:26 »

ive seen it done before where it was a hero (main character) and a small posse (like, 4 other guys). can we do that instead?
:thumbup:

Zoythrus

« Reply #765 on: 7 November 2010, 03:25:09 »

:thumbup:

it should start with one guy, the hero, then grow as he finds survivors.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: 7 November 2010, 05:17:38 »
Possible scenarios:
  • In the aftermath of a cultist attack, your base is destroyed and you are left for dead.  Gather the survivors and rebuild a base, while trying not to get killed by zombies.  This could actually be stretched out over multiple scenarios, first gathering soldiers, then vehicles, etc.
  • Now you've built your base and established communication, but you're surrounded by the zombie outbreak.  Survive until allied transports show up so you can GTFO.
  • Cultists are spreading zombiethrax around a population center.  Stop them before the area becomes overrun with the walking dead, or you'll be overwhelmed.  Rescued civilians can be armed and will fight for you.
  • A rogue supply officer has become a member of the cult and is on his way to rendezvous with cultists with a munitions convoy.  You know what to do.

Psychedelic_hands

« Reply #767 on: 7 November 2010, 07:12:47 »
I  like this cultist business.... apposing faction yeah?
.... they could be similar to the Illuminati, or something. Trying to create a New World Order by first destroying it. I have a friend who is real big on the Illuminati, i could ask him about it.
« Last Edit: 7 November 2010, 07:15:06 by Psychedelic_hands »

Zoythrus

« Reply #768 on: 7 November 2010, 17:31:01 »
once we get this stuff done, the cultists should be an opposing faction for skirmishes and stuff.

Pros:
great speed, good production speed, cheap units and techs

Cons:
everything else sucks

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #769 on: 7 November 2010, 22:55:45 »
I  like this cultist business.... apposing faction yeah?
.... they could be similar to the Illuminati, or something. Trying to create a New World Order by first destroying it. I have a friend who is real big on the Illuminati, i could ask him about it.
Verdict: Brainwashed by Dan Brown.

I like this cultist idea though. Wciow has also agreed to let me use his generic zombie model and will upload a blend model so I can modify as needed (Pre-thanks to Wciow!).

Zoythrus

« Reply #770 on: 7 November 2010, 23:11:51 »
the problem with wciow's zombies is that they stand upright, we need stereotypical zombies - ones that shuffle around, not walk.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #771 on: 8 November 2010, 01:55:37 »
the problem with wciow's zombies is that they stand upright, we need stereotypical zombies - ones that shuffle around, not walk.

That stuff is all in the animations, and you can always re-animate. :|
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

wyvern

« Reply #772 on: 8 November 2010, 02:25:56 »
They could be a mix between rebel terrorists, religious freak fanatics/cultists, and mad scientists

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: 8 November 2010, 04:13:48 »
I  like this cultist business.... apposing faction yeah?
I was kinda thinking the opposite: they're the crazed conspiracy theorists who think the Illuminati (or Freemasons, or Jews, or whoever) are really calling all the shots behind the scenes, and the cult wants to stop the prophecy of the NWO.  They're not trying to take over the world; they're trying to overthrow the world's governments and institute anarchy so nobody else can.  If they have to unleash the undead apocalypse and nuke all of the world's centers of sin and corruption to do so, then that's a price they're willing to make us all pay.

Oh no, I wasn't wearing my foil hat when I typed that!  THEY'RE READING MY THOUGHTS! :o

You're thinking so narrowly.  Zombies made from old decaying corpses might shuffle and drag (good for low-level enemies), but what about those made from fresh bodies?  They could walk, run, climb, etc.  It would all be awkward and clumsy, but the parts are all there.  I think our zombies need to be able to run to be a threat against guys with machine guns.  Plus, just think "pack of undead pit bulls" and tell me that's not scary. :P

They could be a mix between rebel terrorists, religious freak fanatics/cultists, and mad scientists
That's basically what I was thinking of.  They'd mostly be a rag-tag band of dudes with no military training, just guns they smuggled across the border from Mexico or something.  Come to think of it, isn't this the Canadian military?  Okay, guns smuggled from Russia, then!  I'm sure they have a few lying around somewhere. :look:  Anyway, their mechanized units would probably be converted civilian vehicles outfitted with Soviet hardware (i.e. technicals).
« Last Edit: 8 November 2010, 04:30:15 by John.d.h »

Zoythrus

« Reply #774 on: 8 November 2010, 04:48:17 »
i like the idea of the AIMF (Anti-Illuminati Militant Force) being the opposing faction, that's original.

if anyone here has played C&C Generals, think GLA (im talking gameplay wise). if not, go here: http://cnc.wikia.com/wiki/GLA

this is going to be awesome!