Author Topic: Blender support?  (Read 23465 times)

Speedator

Blender support?
« on: 17 September 2004, 09:17:28 »
Is there any interest to do a Blender script for exporting to Glest?
I would try to do it, if there are some people need it.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Speedator »

Rope

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2004, 10:33:20 »
Mhm Blender is a nice programm but some kind of hard to work with.(my opinion).
If you could do a Plugin for Maya PLE(if thats possible) it would be used much more.But I  don't no if that free Version of Maya supports plugins...
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Rope »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2004, 13:44:17 »
I mainly work with 3ds Max and sometimes Maya(but no experiences with PLE).
Also tried to work with Blender. It is hard when you were always working with programmes with "normal" GUI. But after a couple of hours(needed about 4) there is no problem to work with. And the GUI has lots of advantages(thats why they do not use the simple style). But I need working the other programms, because of restrictions. I want to support some other creative people, the Blender and Glest project by doing such a plugin. I think it is better to use Blender than to work with illegal copies, though. And there is no possibility right now. As I no the status of PLE, it is done only for tryout and to use for games whose developers paid for supporting PLE.
Also I know a lot of people working with other free or cheap programs, but the most using other stuff than PLE. Try Blender, Wing3D, Milksshape etc. very tough software, if you do not want to work for special mods.

ultrag

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2004, 15:16:04 »
what you just said is 100% stupid.
blender is 10  times easier to work with than other programs plus the best part of the program is its extremely good mesh editing capabilities which , in my opinion are way better than in maya, 3ds max etc'.
i have no idea how to make plugins for blender but maybe i will do it sometime.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by ultrag »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2004, 21:05:04 »
I said it is not harder, even sometimes more confortable. I cannot say if it is even "10 times" better, because I have not work enough with each program. And if you know all exactly, maybe it is not answerable, because it is a individual decision. I do not understand why you have said this and why you got so angry.
Why I should want to do a plugin, when I think it is a bad tool?

Rope

(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2004, 21:26:00 »
I think he means me...
Maya has some great tutorials and a real good navigation...
Thats MY opinion (i think not the one of ultrag)

If a plugin exists i will use blender otherwise i have to wait for a another plugin for another Program...
If it exist it will be used....

If you are able and want to do it then just do it ^^
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by Rope »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2004, 13:12:59 »
I thought he had talked to you at first, too. But he said this:
Quote from: "ultrag"
i have no idea how to make plugins for blender but maybe i will do it sometime.

That confuses me, because I want to do this... Maybe we can work together, but this qoute sounds a little bit against me. Please enlighten us about it, ultrag ;)

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2004, 17:06:06 »
I do not think, it is a death threat, but I did(and also do) not understand the relationship and the agressive behaviour.
I would not make fun of it -
And a good conclusion for all of us:
Blender, Maya, 3ds max, Lightwave 3D, Softimage|XSI, Cinema 4D, Wings3D, Rhino 3D, Milkshape 3D, OpenFX and all I forget are great tools to work with

- , when I think it is a "death thread" ;)

ultrag

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2004, 19:37:43 »
err......
quote something from my message that was aggressive!!
i said that what you S A I D was stupid - S T U P I D.
now thats - aggressive: for some reason i want to break something but its just an instinct against annoying ppl.
just that you get it, try to realy READ posts before you post comments about them...
I dont get angry in debates about which 3d editing program is better - i just wanted to let ppl know that it isnt right at all.
by the way - radeon3d is better than any program in mesh editing but the problem is that it costs too much and it is about all it does.

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2004, 22:00:40 »
But I do not understand, why you said it is 100% stupid?
I never said it is difficult to work with Blender or somethin else.
I said the opposite.
Rope said it hard to work with. But I said it is not, even in Parts better, but it is everyones own decision, what is better for himself. That  I just said and what is wrong with it and stupid?
I think it is more serious to say so, then to say what I have done is stupid and Blender is 10 times better(absolut or only in handling). That is your very own opinion. I do not think you work with all 3 programs as much as you can say it is generally the best.
I think nobody is objectively able to say it. Also the three programs are done for different assignments.
But you only said this post is 100% stupid(what in conclusio and in this style implies I am very stupid).
Someone talks so offended to me(it personally is no problem for me, because it is online some anonym forum in the internet)
So I only want to know if it is  justified in any case to develop myelf. But yourr argument are some not founded thesis, which also not collide with my thesis.
You know what I mean?
I do not want to get personal in this decision.
I hope you understand now, what Imeant with "aggressive".

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2004, 01:32:43 »
Ultrag, I'm sure there are many ways you can express the superiority of your opinion without being harsh. A statement made the way you did invalidates itself because it relies on the brute strength of the language you use rather on a clever exposition of ideas, and brings nothing to debate other than sterile tension. In brief, that kind of unpoliteness is 100% unacceptable (and very annoying indeed).
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by enveloop »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2004, 15:07:25 »
Also I did not get any reall feedback for the need of the blender plugin, I will try to build one. ultrag and everyone else is very welcome to help!

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2004, 16:25:19 »
Although I have doen some code :) , i think i stop doing until there is a serious future for the project.

ultrag

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2004, 19:54:20 »
get it, there isnt gonna be a serious future for glest.
martinho, for one - will prabobly try to build a real game until then, the main reason he built a free game was prabobly because he was a student when he started.

martiño

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2004, 20:43:10 »
Glest already has a serious present, it's fully playable, how many amateur game projects do you know that arrived at the same stage of development?
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by martiño »

Hande

-
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2005, 19:18:09 »
long time ago, and no blender plugin yet, so i'll try to search as info as possible to get it, unless i don't know quite nothing from blender or plugins for 3dmax.
But someone has to do it.

There is another message about plug-ins:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=203&highlight=blender]http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.ph ... ht=blender[/url]
^^ Some1 make something?? ^^

G3D Specs:
[url=http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=215&highlight=g3d]http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=g3d[/url]

[url=http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=374&highlight=g3d]http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=g3d[/url]

Usefull links:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Websites.7.0.html
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Import___Export.5.0.html
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Resources.181.0.html
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Python_Scripts.3.0.html
[url=http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8095]http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8095[/url]
[url=http://www.renderman.org/RMR/OtherLinks/index.html#convert]http://www.renderman.org/RMR/OtherLinks ... ml#convert[/url]

I've asked for help on some forums;
[url=http://blender.guanajuato.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=160&forum=4]g-blender plugin forum[/url] (spanish)
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:27:39 by filux »

chromecat

(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 6 March 2005, 13:01:47 »
Greetings, Speedator and all the folks supporting this fine game.
It is unclear to me if this Blender support is about importing Blender meshes to use with the game?
It seems like a good idea then.

And thank you for all for creating Glest! I understand it is a huge task and it is an excellent achievement you realized it. Congratulations!
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by chromecat »

sackofcatfood

(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 6 March 2005, 14:31:49 »
I would like to vouch my support for a blender plugin.  I don't know what the status of it is--several people have offered to work on it but most did that some time ago.

There's a group of us for whom it is kind of requisite enough that we'll code it ourselves, if necessary, but there will probably not be time for us to get together until the summertime (we are all pretty busy in school right now).  But even just some directing guidance from more experienced programmers would be most welcome.
« Last Edit: 1 January 1970, 00:00:00 by sackofcatfood »

enveloop

-
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2005, 00:56:24 »
Please take a look at this (I also updated the links Hande provided above).

[url=http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=215]http://www.glest.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=215[/url]
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:28:04 by filux »

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2005, 11:57:59 »
I absolutly agree with you sevi und the current conditions for glest.
Is there anyone who is activly working on a script?
It should be usefull to work with a development management system like SourceForge or Savanna etc., so everybody can participate on every state of the development.

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2005, 19:53:55 »
I agree with you, but I thought about it in general. So nobody must work for is own and reinvent the wheel. So e.g  somebody can send you some new code for the linux-port, you can implement it. but it would be much easier and transparent via svn or cvs also as a bug-tracker.
It is not badly needed.

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2005, 19:14:34 »
You are right in what you say; however, since Martin-o has recently moved to UK it´ll take sometime until he´s fully operational and can put everything in order. We ask for some patience and understanding here; in the meantime you could perhaps make use of this thread to centralize the plugin development, if you decide to go for it. With regard to the current state of things, we are again working on the game. Programming will obviously go slower and besides the things that Martin-o already said he would work on, for now only some minor enhancements to the engine should be expected; on the other side, the rest of the team is preparing an expansion, as you may have seen, and I hope that this will encourage you and other people to keep on with us :)

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2005, 11:15:00 »
it seems there is little ambition for the project

If by "ambition" you mean "scope", we force ourselves to limit it to what we know we can actually accomplish. But when we meet at the cafe we always talk about the many things we´d like the game to feature   :P   (Of course we´d like to hear any suggestion you may want to give).

enveloop

(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: 30 March 2005, 14:12:35 »
i'm curious as to how far you want this to go

Two years ago our thoughts were the following: "We want to get into the game industry. So, based on the game martin-o had been working alone for quite a long time already, we´ll develop a demo of a RTS game on which we´ll work like if it were a professional game. However we must be realistic: We can offer quality, but quantity is out of our reach. We are just four people working for free in our spare time, and we must be modest if we want to get somewhere. That is, we´ll make two factions with a handful of units (as much as to make the game enjoyable, but just as many as we can make in a reasonable amount of time), music, some maps, tilesets, and we´ll make the game easily modifiable so that people can expand it with their own stuff".

And this is what we did, with the additions of the renewed web site by Zanni and the background that I wrote. When we finished our demo we presented the game to the Art Futura award, which we won, and with this we felt that we had got as high as we could with this game and therefore we stopped developing it, besides from debugging and supporting it. Finally, Martin-o thought that making the code open source would be a good idea and so he did.

So the main reason why we stopped developing Glest was that we thought that we had got to the point where the next step forward was too steep, as we are still an amateur group after all. I mean, after the basic structure is made there´s an endless list of things to add, many more than we can honestly handle; but since we already were a working group of people, we decided to keep on doing things and started a different project, that is, Duelfield.

And even though we said "we´re going to take things easy now", the last months we were starting to set a high pace of work, and Felix was a great addition to the team, as a talented modeller and animator as he is. Then, all in a sudden, Martin-o moved to the UK, which means that he now can only work in his scarce free time; at the same time, Hande (por cierto, gracias de parte de todos, te debemos el empuje que le ha dado al juego el que lo dieras a conocer a los linuxeros) decided to make an effort to help us and talked about it in several places, thus reaching the linux users and raising enormously the interest on the game.

Last and most important thing to consider: the Tucho factor. Tucho never stops. Even when we decided to move on to something new, he kept on secretly working in his lair every day and night. From time to time he would say something like... "mmm... if Glest only had horsemen... by the way, know what, I just finished a new unit, the Berserker, wanna see?" and he would show us this great new model, this in between his concepts and textures for Duelfield´s Battlemachines.

So, we all knew that tucho had some things on mind, but it was only in this weeks after martin-o moved that he started to show all the units he had been working on. For some days my reaction was that of "no, no, tucho, we´ve finished, remember, we´re not a game company", but then all in a sudden he comes up with the horsemen, the flying machine, the... the trees I´d been asking for so long!, and I realized that we were again at it, the expansion was in the works. (and almost immediately: "sh*t, we´ll need more voices and I have already asked all my friends" :)

... really long post... I should write a FAQ...

Speedator

(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: 30 March 2005, 14:31:42 »
Quote from: "enveloop"
Duelfield needs more work than I can give, and I want to work some things in Glest in order to ease compiling and porting to linux... and maybe add some new little functionality... aww, if it had a multiplayer it would be so great... dunno... maybe... maybe..."..

So you put Duelfield  on hold?
I was also just wondering about all the new art, Tucho has done.
Do the Battlemachines on the screenshots for Glest mean, that  they get part of Glest expansion-pack?