Author Topic: Camelot faction BETA 1 release!  (Read 19859 times)

tripsahoy

Re: Camelot faction !please post what you think about it!
« Reply #25 on: 27 October 2008, 21:29:53 »
Quote from: "johndh"
How about we just call him an Acolyte instead?  Then everybody's happy.

Its a good idea
but i really think that apprentice fits since the "apprentice" in my faction is conjured by merlin, so its merlin's apprentice

verarticus

« Reply #26 on: 28 October 2008, 02:14:48 »
Quote from: "tripsahoy"
How about we just call him an Acolyte instead? Then everybody's happy.

Its a good idea
but i really think that apprentice fits since the "apprentice" in my faction is conjured by merlin, so its merlin's apprentice
ok I like the apprentice too but heres some others if you want a vote
pupil
student
trainee
minion(just kiding)
predisesor (made up but sounds cool! :O )
and I might think of some more

tripsahoy

« Reply #27 on: 30 October 2008, 19:36:38 »
Quote from: "verarticus"
Quote from: "tripsahoy"
How about we just call him an Acolyte instead? Then everybody's happy.

Its a good idea
ok I like the apprentice too but heres some others if you want a vote
pupil
student
trainee
minion(just kiding)
predisesor (made up but sounds cool! :O )
and I might think of some more

Actually i kind of like predisesor

tripsahoy

« Reply #28 on: 7 November 2008, 00:52:23 »
Here is a discription of my buildings, sorry it has taken so long, ive been very busy latly with pit orchestra, band, wrestling, boy scouts, and school i haven't had any time for glest. To tell you the truth i dont even have time to give this post and unfrotionently i only have time to give you discriptions of the buildings but here they are...

Buildings

Castle- The main building for Camelot, produces peasant and King Arthur
-   Working name (may be changed to stronghold or something else)
-   Peasant
-   King Arthur

Barracks- Where the melee units come from
-   Crusader
-   Knight
-   Pike man
-   Man At Arms

Range- Where the “bow and arrow” units come from
-   Archer
-   Master Archer
-   Crossbow men
-   Robin hood
-   Sherwood Forest (upgrade)

Wizard Tower- Where the magical units come from
-   Merlin
-   Dragon (or another name for a dragon)
-   Ogre

The Forage- Where all the upgrades are for units who come from the Barracks and Range
-   Yeomen
-   Unbreakable Shield
-   Advanced Weaponry
-   Tactics
-   The Noble
-   Masonry

Farm- Produces the cow, the only source of food in Camelot, (will be called something else eventually)
-               Cow

Round Table- Produces the Knights of the Round Table (aka KRT), at this time there are only two (2) KRT. King Arthur and the upgrade The Noble are required for them
-   Sir Lancelot
-   Sir Kay

Watch Tower / Keep- The only defensive buildings in Camelot. The Stone Tower is just a much better version of the Guard Tower. Both produce the catapult (working name) which is capable of shooting the super weapon through Greek Fire (upgrade)
-   Catapult

Merlin’s Study- Built by Merlin’s Apprentices (may later be called predecessors), Contains the upgrades for the apprentice and super weapon
-   Book of Magic
-   Book of knowledge
-   Book of Secrets
-   Greek Fire

Sword in the Stone- Built by Merlin, Serves no purpose except being required to produce King Arthur
« Last Edit: 15 November 2008, 00:04:37 by tripsahoy »

modman

« Reply #29 on: 7 November 2008, 02:32:33 »
You stole my greek fire idea.  Wow.  You're on a roll.  Might as well take the new models too...

=]       (But please stop taking ideas, especially when they do not directly relate to your faction.  Greek fire has nothing to do with camelot.  It wasn't even used; it was used by the Byzantine empire during Roman times, and during the middle ages by the Arabs, Chinese and Mongols.)

And if you don't care, you should, unless you don't care about making your faction good.

tripsahoy

« Reply #30 on: 7 November 2008, 22:10:16 »
Quote from: "modman"
You stole my greek fire idea. Wow. You're on a roll. Might as well take the new models too...

=] (But please stop taking ideas, especially when they do not directly relate to your faction. Greek fire has nothing to do with camelot. It wasn't even used; it was used by the Byzantine empire during Roman times, and during the middle ages by the Arabs, Chinese and Mongols.)

And if you don't care, you should, unless you don't care about making your faction good.

Ok well i didn't know it wasnt in your dark magic faction and i havent seen your tech 2

im not taking anyones ideas i didn't know that you were using it i just thaught greek fire fit as the upgrade for super weapons

Might as well take the new models too...

I would only use (not take, their not  tangable objects) your models if they were good and i think they fit perfectly, in which case i beleave why spend the time making a model when their are other perfectly good ones out there

especially when they do not directly relate to your faction. Greek fire has nothing to do with camelot. It wasn't even used; it was used by the Byzantine empire during Roman times, and during the middle ages by the Arabs, Chinese and Mongols.)

I dont really care if the time periods from real life dont line up with the ones in a game, also YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME with this especially when they do not directly relate to your faction stuff

(once a gain no offence)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 8 November 2008, 05:35:12 »
Since some of the names are already in use, here are some alternatives:  Citadel instead of Castle, Smithy or Foundry instead of Blacksmith, Pasture instead of Farm, Military Academy instead of Barracks, Bowman or Marksman instead of Archer.  Also, I agree that Greek Fire doesn't really seem to fit with the Camelot idea.

I'm not sure that "Predecessor" is a fitting name for the Apprentice either.  If I'm not mistaken, a predecessor is basically whoever was there before someone else came along and replaced him.  I don't see how that makes sense for this unit.  Personally, I would go with "Acolyte", which can refer to any kind of assistant, attendant, or follower.

I noticed you left off Robin Hood's merry men.  Did you decide to not include them or did you just forget?

Have you read "The Once and Future King"?  It would be a good source of some eclectic KRT.  I seem to remember Sir Gawain being a big brutish sort of fellow, so you could make him a somewhat slow but heavy-hitting unit, for example.

gameboy

« Reply #32 on: 8 November 2008, 05:42:49 »
I'm not sure that "Predecessor" is a fitting name for the Apprentice either. If I'm not mistaken, a predecessor is basically whoever was there before someone else came along and replaced him. I don't see how that makes sense for this unit. Personally, I would go with "Acolyte", which can refer to any kind of assistant, attendant, or follower.
How about Disciple?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 8 November 2008, 05:46:26 »
Quote from: "gameboy"
How about Disciple?
That's also a good one.

tripsahoy

« Reply #34 on: 8 November 2008, 12:51:23 »
Since some of the names are already in use, here are some alternatives:  Citadel instead of Castle, Smithy or Foundry instead of Blacksmith, Pasture instead of Farm, Military Academy instead of Barracks, Bowman or Marksman instead of Archer.  Also, I agree that Greek Fire doesn't really seem to fit with the Camelot idea.

I'm not sure that "Predecessor" is a fitting name for the Apprentice either.  If I'm not mistaken, a predecessor is basically whoever was there before someone else came along and replaced him.  I don't see how that makes sense for this unit.  Personally, I would go with "Acolyte", which can refer to any kind of assistant, attendant, or follower.

Thank you for the suggestions on names, a lot of those were working names and i couldn't thank of anything else to call them
i think i will call the blacksmith the forge, the farm the pasture, the archer a bowman, but greek fire i think i will keep the same, (have you guys ever seen the movie timeline, that was my inspiration for the name, you should watch it its really good)

also im not so soure about the "Acolyte" because i looked up the definition and its the person a church who lights the candles, so maybe that name would fit in the church faction better. Im still open to suggestions though.

I noticed you left off Robin Hood's merry men. Did you decide to not include them or did you just forget?

Have you read "The Once and Future King"? It would be a good source of some eclectic KRT. I seem to remember Sir Gawain being a big brutish sort of fellow, so you could make him a somewhat slow but heavy-hitting unit, for example.

Actually i havethe mary men in the faction i just didn't enclude them in the descriptions of the buildings because robin hood conjures them and so their not built by the range.

Also about the KRT i have limited them down to only two, for shore sir lancelot, and one other posiblly sir kay (because he was in on the crusaids), or if you seem to think sir gawain will be good than i could put him in insted of sir kay.
the reason i only want two is because they are heros which are "beasty" and i dont want to have to many "beasty" guys that can all come in and destroy other factions in 2 secounds

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 9 November 2008, 00:54:13 »
Lancelot and Kay sound fine, actually.  I was just using Sir Gawain as an example of how you could make the knights different from each other.  The way you have it set up, it seems like it would take forever to actually get them, though.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you'd need to build (in order) a Peasant, Blacksmith, The Noble, Wizard Tower, Merlin, Sword in the Stone, King Arthur, and Round Table.  I don't know about you, but my games don't normally last long enough to build all that stuff, not to mention all the resources it would take.

A friend of mine suggested another possibility for the Apprentice: "Protégé", which is someone under the teachings of a mentor.  In this case the mentor is Merlin, so I think it fits quite well.  Other synonyms include student, ward, pupil, tyro, and novice.

modman

« Reply #36 on: 9 November 2008, 05:29:57 »
If you don't mind, I'd like to use Acolyte in Dark Magic instead of Apprentice.  It just sounds more magical.  Thanks!

tripsahoy

« Reply #37 on: 11 November 2008, 13:53:06 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like you'd need to build (in order) a Peasant, Blacksmith, The Noble, Wizard Tower, Merlin, Sword in the Stone, King Arthur, and Round Table. I don't know about you, but my games don't normally last long enough to build all that stuff, not to mention all the resources it would take.

A friend of mine suggested another possibility for the Apprentice: "Protégé", which is someone under the teachings of a mentor. In this case the mentor is Merlin, so I think it fits quite well. Other synonyms include student, ward, pupil, tyro, and novice.

The knights will vary somewhat but not much
I actually wanted it to take that long to get the knights because they are so good, you could probobly wipe out your entire enemie with just one
You know i actually like "Protege" it sounds cool but know that modman isn't using apprentice i have to options protege or apprentice, thanks for the new name

tripsahoy

« Reply #38 on: 15 November 2008, 00:06:16 »
Please note i have decided to keep the apprentices name apprentice
ive changed the...
blacksmith= the forage
eagle eye= yeomen
militia= man at arms

tripsahoy

« Reply #39 on: 17 November 2008, 02:30:33 »
would it be weird if i renamed the castle in my faction to camelot since thats what king arthurs most famous castle was

also i will get unit discriptions up soon i have them written on paper so if in worst case sinario i will scan them and put them up that way.

tripsahoy

Re: Camelot faction BETA 1 RELEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 24 December 2008, 21:17:40 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a4b3 ... b9a8902bda

Here it is the BETA 1 the fist step in my faction becoming compleate.
There are most likely lots of bugs to be worked out and the tech tree is most certinly going to be changed before the final thing comes out.
But you have to remember this is my first faction and its a BETA 1.

I really hope u guys like it.
please post any suggestions they are GREATLY apreciated.

and to who ever voted that my faction was dead in the water... WHAT NOW!!! just kidding, dont worry about it, i dont care.

~~Tripsahoy
ps. Think of it as a chistmas preasent

mictes

Re: Camelot faction BETA 1 release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #41 on: 25 December 2008, 08:52:49 »
n1 Concept and Fun to play, thanks :) [klick for enlarge]

tripsahoy

« Reply #42 on: 25 December 2008, 13:56:49 »
sure i would love it if you could make me some modles that would be amazing.
the sword in the stone is really cool. i dont have time to check it out now but i will later today or tommarrow.

thanks a whole ton

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #43 on: 25 December 2008, 14:31:40 »
We have some problems here starting the mod:

1)
We run linux and there is a problem because linux is case sensitive
here is the fix:
find -name "*[A-Z]*" -print0 | xargs -0 -L 1 bash -c 'mv "$0" "$(echo $0 | tr [:upper:] [:lower:])"'

2) we get an error saying something in round_table can't find bmp file in sir_kay. but we have no sir_kay in the package we downloaded :/
we replaced it with sir_lancelot in the round_table.xml and now its working!

now for some testing ... ;)
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

tripsahoy

Re: Camelot faction BETA 1 release!
« Reply #44 on: 26 December 2008, 02:10:40 »
Quote from: "titi"
We run linux and there is a problem because linux is case sensitive
here is the fix:
find -name "*[A-Z]*" -print0 | xargs -0 -L 1 bash -c 'mv "$0" "$(echo $0 | tr [:upper:] [:lower:])"'

i have no idea what this means

Quote from: "titi"
2) we get an error saying something in round_table can't find bmp file in sir_kay. but we have no sir_kay in the package we downloaded :/
we replaced it with sir_lancelot in the round_table.xml and now its working!

thats right! im sorry i used to have a sir kay but he was very simmaler to sir lancelot so i got rid of him and i guess i frogot to change that in the round table. ill fix it for when i release a updated version

modman

« Reply #45 on: 26 December 2008, 02:32:23 »
That thing was a program to fix your capitalization problems in the file extentions.

Are you considering my suggestion for the next beta?

Also could you name what you wanted to call the Necroanimancer in the Undeads topic?  I forgot what you said.

tripsahoy

« Reply #46 on: 26 December 2008, 02:58:16 »
Are you considering my suggestion for the next beta?

Yes suggestions are GREATLY appreciated

tripsahoy

« Reply #47 on: 26 December 2008, 13:53:49 »
ok so mictes i dont have anything drawn up but ill tell u what i would like, im not to picky and will take probobly anything u give me so here goes...

robin hood= green shirt with brown sleaves, brown shorts with green tights, a green robing hood hat with a team color feather.

mary men= same a robin hood but now feather,

range= a building that is shaped like a U and is open on 1 side then opposite the open side are 4 or 5 targets not on the wall but proped up, the other two sides are a bit thicker.

sir lancelot= i really have know idea, he shouldn't be on a horse, and should resemble the guard in build, but his armer is much bigger and beastyer looking.

the round table= a grand looking circular table with a celtic symbol on it

the sword in the stone= i really like the one u made me, but i was imagining one that the sword is in an anvil and ontop a rock. i would understand if you didn't want to make a nother one.

ps. look at some of the photos i put up or ask me any questions.

mictes

« Reply #48 on: 26 December 2008, 14:48:06 »
Hi tripsahoy!
So ok two things that need to be spoken of:
I'm still new to blender so I at first wont venture to animations.
And I'm still working on my own mod so here the things I could do within this week:

-The Range (I think like in AOE 2 ?! ^^)
-The round table
-The sword_in_the_stone. (I didn't understand how it should look like, maybee you could post a draft ?! ;) )

I'll make the other models later, or maybee anotherone wants to make some ^^

Regards,
/Michael

tripsahoy

« Reply #49 on: 26 December 2008, 18:18:47 »
that sounds great i really dont care when it you work on models for my faction, i understand that you have your own things to work on in glest and you probobly have things going on outside of glest.

i really apreciate that you have made even one model more is excellent whenever you have time to do them.