Author Topic: Reqest to Daniel  (Read 9061 times)

gameboy

Reqest to Daniel
« on: 23 October 2008, 14:26:24 »
Hey daniel since your back can you put a night bonus or something for GAE?

@kukac@

Re: Reqest to Daniel
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2008, 10:58:26 »
Firstly, we should find out what is night (it might be rather easy, since after 5 minutes (approx.) night starts, then after 5 minutes, day starts again). If I would be a programmer, I would make a clear difference between day and light first, and make the units XML like "if time=night then attack:=attack+100, etc. " I don't really know how Glest or GAE works now, but it would be something logical ;)

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2008, 12:36:17 »
You are right. In GAE there is a time_flow class with methods isDay() and isNight()
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2008, 06:39:24 »
gameboy, please elaborate on how you would want such a mechanism to work.  Look at the structure of the .xml files and see if you can figure out a place that it would make sense to insert such a thing.  The first thought I have is on the upgrades, rather the upgrade is limited in when it is effective.  Also, consider that you may want to have 4 points, dawn, day, dusk night, or even 8 points: dawn, morning, noon, afternoon, evening/dusk, night, midnight, early morning/pre-dawn.  You may want to have the multiplier for the effect potency be at zero until a certain time when it  begins to increase towards 1, then once that time is reached, it gradually decreases until it reaches zero again at a certain time.  Or maybe you want it to be zero until 8 PM, when it gradually increases until it reaches one at midnight, upon which it remains one until 4 am, where upon it gradually decreases until it reaches zero at 8 AM.  There are many possibilities.

The more I think about it, it would probably work nicely as a constraint to an upgrade/effect/emanation (they all use the same base XML & data structures).

@kukac@

« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2008, 08:16:00 »
You could use the 24h format, so unit from 0-6 and 21-24 will be Chuck Norris, and other things like that.

gameboy

« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2008, 08:22:09 »
I want it to like Kukac said but the Night Bonus should be in the skills tab and maybe there could be another one in the command which would restrict the command to night time only.
And if its not to much work, i have another request to make, do you think you can add a level restriction to commands? ex. Archer that has the command to morph into a Longbow Man but he can only do that when he reaches level 2.

daniel.santos

« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2008, 10:43:00 »
Quote from: "gameboy"
I want it to like Kukac said but the Night Bonus should be in the skills tab and maybe there could be another one in the command which would restrict the command to night time only.
And if its not to much work, i have another request to make, do you think you can add a level restriction to commands? ex. Archer that has the command to morph into a Longbow Man but he can only do that when he reaches level 2.

Well you're just full of all kinds of good ideas aren't you? :)  I like the idea of restricting command availability based upon time of day & level restriction, but once again, I want to think it through more thoroughly so the design is clean and we include other variants.  In general, I see a testing framework trying to emerge here.  This is already happening with the code that supports subfactions; a command, unit, upgrade, etc. may be available only under specific subfactions.  Sounds like we need tests like <available-if> and <usable-if>.  The <available-if> tag will specify a set of conditions that indicate if the command, unit or upgrade is available.  If it is not, the button will not even appear.  Whereas the <usable-if> will indicate rather or not the command is grayed out.  From there, we can put tests like time of day, HP/EP > or < a certain value or %, # kills, etc.

As far as kukac's idea illustrated with "if time=night then attack:=attack+100, etc. " I'm thinking in a different direction.  I like the idea of slapping a multiplier on the skill or unit and that can be configured so that it's either one value or another or that value gradually changes based upon time, or other factors.  That will take some more consideration to find a clean way of implementing it.

gameboy

« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2008, 10:59:26 »
Quote from: "daniel.santos"
Well you're just full of all kinds of good ideas aren't you? :)
thanks, before when you were sick omega started a thread to improve the glest compilation, i had a ton of good ideas there, but it got erased with the Great Data Loss of September.
BTW what does IMHO mean?

I like the idea of restricting command availability based upon time of day & level restriction, but once again, I want to think it through more thoroughly so the design is clean and we include other variants. In general, I see a testing framework trying to emerge here. This is already happening with the code that supports subfactions; a command, unit, upgrade, etc. may be available only under specific subfactions. Sounds like we need tests like <available-if> and <usable-if>. The <available-if> tag will specify a set of conditions that indicate if the command, unit or upgrade is available. If it is not, the button will not even appear. Whereas the <usable-if> will indicate rather or not the command is grayed out. From there, we can put tests like time of day, HP/EP > or < a certain value or %, # kills, etc
you put it better than me. :P
As far as kukac's idea illustrated with "if time=night then attack:=attack+100, etc. " I'm thinking in a different direction. I like the idea of slapping a multiplier on the skill or unit and that can be configured so that it's either one value or another or that value gradually changes based upon time, or other factors. That will take some more consideration to find a clean way of implementing it.
the way you put, i think yours is better, no offense Kukac.

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2008, 23:14:28 »
Great Data Loss of September
I like the way you've put it. That should go into a history of Glest.

BTW what does IMHO mean?
In my honest opinion.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

ZaggyDad

« Reply #9 on: 28 October 2008, 00:55:57 »
Quote from: "hailstone"
In my honest opinion.

Or else "In my humble opinion."

@kukac@

« Reply #10 on: 28 October 2008, 08:51:29 »
Quote from: "hailstone"
Great Data Loss of September
I like the way you've put it. That should go into a history of Glest.

Ah, we might need an another database save now, if we don't want to let that happen again.

With this Great Data Loss of September, (GDLS?  :oops: )!

ArKabZol

« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2008, 10:19:20 »
Quote from: @kukac@
Ah, we might need an another database save now, if we don't want to let that happen again.

With this Great Data Loss of September, (GDLS?  :oops: )!
Ah, that was me. I also found this btw.

Code: [Select]
[url=http://glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3699]viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3699[/url]The topic was pretty recent, so it wasn't removed by the GDLS (or GDLoS?) :P

You can ignore the other ideas Daniel, but I think most would want the carry skill implemented.

P.S. Welcome back Dan,
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:39:00 by filux »

daniel.santos

« Reply #12 on: 28 October 2008, 21:20:53 »
Quote from: "ArKabZol"
P.S. Welcome back Dan,
ty :)  ty for suggestions.

gameboy

« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2008, 07:39:43 »
Hey, I refreshed my memory and i got some more ideas.
Generals: The General Unit can be made the leader of a particular group, wherever the general goes the army follows wherever the general attacks the army attacks within a specific area.
Shield or Defense: With this your unit gets an extra Shield bonus added to the unit's current armor.
Stances: With Stances your unit can be set to any different stance like aggressive, defensive, raid, plunder and for ranged units melee. With each stance a unit gets different benefits ex. with the defensive stance the unit get an extra +20% defense( or shield), -5% attack and -15% attack speed, plus when the unit spots an enemy unit, it doesn't rush to attack, but stays it ground until the enemy unit attacks. with raid the units first attack all units in the area before going for the buildings. with plunder all units first finish enemy buildings before going for units, note the raid and plunder will be more appropriate for the general so that all units he command automatically are set to that stance.
Steal: This idea is actually Omega's, but i liked it, with steal you can steal a unit attribute or a buildings resources, i hope omega can come and explain better.
Agility: This is also Omega's. With agility a unit has the ability to completely dodge an attack.            ""
Unit Type: I think it would be great if units had type's that way there could be units like Cavalry and Infantry, Heavy Infantry would be good against Cavalry and Cavalry would be good against siege and Light Infantry, i think this would introduce much more strategy to the game.
Auto Promotion: It would be great if units would promote automatically ex. The swordsman, there should be an upgrade for guard so that when you research Guard all you existing Swordsmen promote automatically to guards and the button for train Swordsmen is replaced by the button to Train Guards. also it would cool is units promote automatically when they kill a type of unit, say an archer kills 5 Cavalry units he automatically upgrades to Crossbowman, if on the other hand he kills 7 Infantry units he automatically gets promoted to Longbow man.
You may not like them all, but whatever.

modman

« Reply #14 on: 1 November 2008, 00:52:22 »
I made up GDLoS
[url=http://glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3832&p=18204&hilit=Great+Dataloss#p18204]here[/url] (if you need proof).

There was another place with great ideas from RTS Gamerguy.  Find that
[url=http://glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3625]here[/url].

I had an idea of my own.  What if there was a little exe that had an interface and it's purpose was to make the XMLs for Glest, but make them eastir.  Such a program would never make a syntax error, and could be made compatable new with GAE features with a simple "other" category.  It would be made so that it would check, for instance, if there was a file in the location you were referancing to, or it could even have a "browse" button too.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:39:31 by filux »

daniel.santos

« Reply #15 on: 1 November 2008, 07:34:26 »
Quote from: modman
I had an idea of my own.  What if there was a little exe that had an interface and it's purpose was to make the XMLs for Glest, but make them eastir.
You mean like
[url=http://www.glest.org/files/contrib/tools]glexemel[/url]?  (I think this is actually outdated).  Well, I would suggest you get busy writing one then!!
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:39:52 by filux »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 1 November 2008, 11:50:05 »
Well, I would suggest you get busy writing one then!!
 :roll:

(I think this is actually outdated).  

Glexemel does the job fine. The only problem is the annoying texture name thing where you have to manually edit the XML before conversion.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

daniel.santos

« Reply #17 on: 1 November 2008, 12:40:13 »
hehe, I'm glad you found humor in that! :)

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #18 on: 1 November 2008, 21:09:35 »
@wciow: texture name thing?  :shock:
I don't have to edit the xmls!?! Have a look at my video...http://www.titusgames.de/film/texture.avi
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

modman

« Reply #19 on: 2 November 2008, 06:02:35 »
I'm not talking about it because I'm lazy or anything, but (yea you could poke fun at me for this too, I guess) it took more than 75 Glest crashes before Dark Magic would even run, and I know because I started a tally after the first few.  They were mostly syntax errors.

And yes, I would love to make it.  After I finish
[url=http://www.glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3796&st=0&sk=t&sd=a]Dark Magic[/url]and
[url=http://www.glest.org/glest_board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3807&st=0&sk=t&sd=a]TechII[/url] and a corosponding tileset, I'm taking a break from Glest and learning C++.  Then I'll program the program I was speaking of, but probably not with GAE capabilities.

About wanting a pony...I would rather have a pet piranha.  I was going to buy the whole fishtank setup thing, but I saved up and bought a computer the next year.
[img]http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Red-bellied%20piranha,%20Pygocentrus%20nattereri.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 16 April 2016, 08:38:21 by filux »

daniel.santos

« Reply #20 on: 2 November 2008, 06:09:59 »
Yikes! I'll pass on the piranha!  But the thing is, consider the time it took you to troubleshoot the syntax errors (and trust me, I KNOW what you mean about that) and the amount of time it would take to write one.  I'm not saying it shouldn't be done.  In fact, if somebody wrote a good one, I would use it!

I'll have to check out your Dark Magic mod some time.

modman

« Reply #21 on: 2 November 2008, 06:16:19 »
I would be honored if you would (no new models yet.  I am horrible at modeling so I let Gameboy do it, with other contributions, at Gameboy's own pace) download it and at least express your opinion (haven't had much of that lately on the topic).

Also, if someone made a really big faction, say with all LOTR races in one faction like you did with FPM, the number of possible (likely turning to probable) errors would increase exponentially.

@kukac@

« Reply #22 on: 2 November 2008, 08:49:55 »
The real pain isn't the syntax error. You will get a message "Error in line 29" or something like that. And suddenly you "Ahh, I forgot a semicolon!".

But if you have a schematic error, what would you do?

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: 2 November 2008, 22:24:42 »
Quote from: "gameboy"
before when you were sick omega started a thread to improve the glest compilation, i had a ton of good ideas there, but it got erased with the Great Data Loss of September.
I'll try to repost... Check back in General Discussion later this week.

ANd still, have you any plans to try to fix up the errors in GAE like I get? (Access Violation; Write Error) I thought it might have been Windows Vista, but someothers are using Vista and it works, so I really have no clue what's wrong. I'm going to try to compile it myself...
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2 November 2008, 22:30:33 »
Glest throws those Access Violations quite often on windows systems. Last time it happened to me it was new graphics drivers which I had to change (your not using an ATI card are you?)
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0