Author Topic: Glest wikia  (Read 2237 times)

daniel.santos

Glest wikia
« on: 2 November 2008, 06:03:05 »
Ok, I've updated the following https://docs.megaglest.org pages adding information for GAE enhancements.  It would be nice if some peeps could look at it and give any feedback.  Also, if you see any spelling, grammatical, formatting or factual errors, please don't hesitate to log in and fix em! :)There's plenty more to do, but this is a good start.  Maybe somebody can start a Glest Advanced Engine page to outline it and put some links to the other stuff.

UPDATE: Added Unit_XML
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 15:10:39 by filux »

modman

Re: Glest wikia
« Reply #1 on: 2 November 2008, 06:10:36 »
Yes that reminds me...how hard would it be (how intertwined, that you know of) to make another resource type.  Like one that you can get by sacrificing one of your units.

This is helpful because I know Orcs sacrificed units for benefit, etc etc.

daniel.santos

« Reply #2 on: 2 November 2008, 06:44:00 »
Not that hard, and I've already speced out features for 0.3 that will allow this.  I thought we already discussed this :)

modman

« Reply #3 on: 5 November 2008, 02:36:13 »
Is there a way that a resource is never removed from the map?  (Instead of setting the default value to a very high number; how high can this number be?)

This might be useful for very long games on small maps.

daniel.santos

« Reply #4 on: 5 November 2008, 02:50:19 »
hmm, no mechanism for now, I think the largest number would be 2 billion (2^31 -1 actually) since I think it's handled as a signed 32-bit int.  Something outside of that range is probably best dealt with in scripting later on.

modman

« Reply #5 on: 6 November 2008, 05:30:36 »
I wonder why they would use such a big variable to store a number that is usually only several thousand or less?  (Or am I getting it all wrong...I'm not too great at the non-obvious in programming...and terrible if it's programming outside C++!

Maybe I'll upload source code for one of my projects to showcase my talent, and lack thereof! =]
I would upload a program, but some might think it's a virus, so you can compile it yourself after looking it over for evil things. =]

daniel.santos

« Reply #6 on: 6 November 2008, 12:55:55 »
Quote from: "modman"
I wonder why they would use such a big variable to store a number that is usually only several thousand or less?  
32 bits big?  We have 128 bit floating point numbers now days (ranging from -/+ 5.192296858534827628530496329220096E +/-16384 -- i.e., very big or very small and very precise numbers).  If you use less than 4 bytes, you usually generate extra code when working with the value on today's machines.  A 32 bit isn't isn't big.

Further, if you have a processor with SSE2 instructions, and the situation is right, you can do mathematical operations on 4 of them at once, in a single CPU instruction.