Hey, Good Ideas !
2 (66.7%)
Don't know.
0 (0%)
No, this are really bad (cause...) !
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: 5 November 2008, 19:31:05

Author Topic: Another "I want a pony -Thread" [Campaign system & Menue]  (Read 3999 times)

mictes

Another "I want a pony -Thread" [Campaign system & Menue]
« on: 5 November 2008, 19:31:05 »
Hey,
what about implanting an working Campaign-system into GAE ?
It could be based on the Scenario-system of the last Glest-beta.

The "Campaigns" could be in the folder "Campaign" in which is the "campaign.xml" and the "user.xml".

campaign xml >>
Code: [Select]
<campaign-system>
<value="order"/>

<1="storming"/>
<2="new_lands"/>
<3="..."/>
</campaign-system>
user.xml
Code: [Select]
<campaign-system>
<value="save"/>

<1="done"/>
<2="done"/>

</campaign-system>
The Campaigns are stored in the Campaign folder in folders (the same like with the units). Eg:
campaings/storming/storming.xml

AND
The Menue should be enchanced to something like in the actually Glest-Beta, cause it is more clearly.

daniel.santos

Re: Another "I want a pony -Thread" [Campaign system & Menue]
« Reply #1 on: 5 November 2008, 19:49:38 »
hehe!! :)  I'll be doing this in 0.3 however, and that branch will experience *lots* of changes which means lots of bugs that requires lots of fixing :)  Hopefully, it wont take too long for all the campaign, scenerio & lua scripting to get into 0.3 along with some of the fun stuff we've discussed.

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 5 November 2008, 20:31:18 »
Hmm, thats actually not a bad idea  :(
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: 6 November 2008, 02:20:56 »
If GAE would become stable enough to work on my computer, I'd be happy to help with xmls and lau (whatever) for campaigns.

Daniel, can you add some lau functions, such as after a certain amount of time, or something?
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

daniel.santos

« Reply #4 on: 6 November 2008, 13:01:23 »
Quote from: "omega"
If GAE would become stable enough to work on my computer, I'd be happy to help with xmls and lau (whatever) for campaigns.

Daniel, can you add some lau functions, such as after a certain amount of time, or something?
"If GAE would become stable"?  I thought you were running an outdated version?  You're the only one I'm hearing from reporting crashes in GAE right now.  Download 0.2.8a and if you still crash, give a real bug report, like your OS, video card, version of the video driver, etc.

As I said before, I will NOT be adding lua to 0.2.x, it's going into 0.3, period.

Ayrin Greenflag

• Horseman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lostinn.com/ayrin
« Reply #5 on: 7 November 2008, 15:11:36 »
I think a forum for coders or newbie coders would be nice so ppl can learn c++ coding and lua coding...do u think it could be done? (this is a ' I want an horse' question ..lol)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: 7 November 2008, 18:34:54 »
Quote from: "daniel.santos"
You're the only one I'm hearing from reporting crashes in GAE right now.  Download 0.2.8a and if you still crash, give a real bug report, like your OS, video card, version of the video driver, etc.
Ok, I'll try the new version.

In other words, if you decide to put in campaigns, all it needs is a beefed up Lau scenarios folder with commands to change the maps, reset the game (levels) and add video and images. (And perhaps a time system to make events happen after a certain amount of time)

Lastly, Glest 3.2-beta has a bug which limits the length of a lau scenario... [It's Lua, LUA - @kukac@]
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: [Campaign system & Menue] *resurrecting old thread*
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2009, 18:14:13 »
I was working on my storyline for Sun and Moon and the following thought hit me: Campaigns should be able to branch off in different directions.

Something like this:

battle machine man

Re: [Campaign system & Menue] *resurrecting old thread*
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2009, 19:04:26 »
I was working on my storyline for Sun and Moon and the following thought hit me: Campaigns should be able to branch off in different directions.

Something like this:
funny,I get it tho

daniel.santos

« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2009, 08:48:01 »
I agree 100%.  Also, my excuses for merging Glest 3.2 are exhausted since it's not released and there's already a bug-fix release.  None the less, I'm still working on 0.2.12 (network enhancements) and I'm hoping that'll be done this month.  Unfortunately, I've been putting in a little time on some other projects (Lincity-NG, KDevelop and gdb) and that's slowed me down a little, but things are still progressing in a positive direction.  When I get ready for testing, I'm going to write up a long list of all of the changes (for 0.2).

Back to this thread, Campaigns definately need this support.  However this also (probably) means adding support to save a player's state.  On many games, when you 1st start a campaign you have to create a player profile where this state is saved.  I think this is a good time to start that.  We'll work out these details later though.

battle machine man

« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2009, 17:22:17 »
I agree 100%.  Also, my excuses for merging Glest 3.2 are exhausted since it's not released and there's already a bug-fix release.  None the less, I'm still working on 0.2.12 (network enhancements) and I'm hoping that'll be done this month.  Unfortunately, I've been putting in a little time on some other projects (Lincity-NG, KDevelop and gdb) and that's slowed me down a little, but things are still progressing in a positive direction.  When I get ready for testing, I'm going to write up a long list of all of the changes (for 0.2).

Back to this thread, Campaigns definately need this support.  However this also (probably) means adding support to save a player's state.  On many games, when you 1st start a campaign you have to create a player profile where this state is saved.  I think this is a good time to start that.  We'll work out these details later though.
I think we need someone who cares enough to make 1 like one of the few who made a mod!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2009, 19:39:34 »
I think we need someone who cares enough to make 1 like one of the few who made a mod!
I'm actually in the very beginning stages of my campaign for Sun and Moon, but I need to work out the storyline, settings, and characters before I start making the scenarios.

An important part of the storyline for the Moon faction is that there's an internal struggle between the path of wisdom and the path of savagery.  It's something akin to any Star Wars game where you can choose to follow the Light Side or the Dark Side.  This will effect not only how the story unfolds, but also what units become available later on.  Following savagery will unlock units like werewolves and giants, whereas the path of wisdom will unlock units like the Moon Lord (a powerful magical unit).  Also, I'd like for certain achievements to be able to provide benefits or penalties for the rest of the campaign.  For example, finding a certain object might grant every unit on your side a +1 to sight range or pissing off that old witch might result in some kind of curse.  I believe the ability to store data from one scenario to the next is essential to this!  I also want a way to store hero data, but if it's just not possible, I think I can find a way around it.  There should also be the ability to progress from one campaign to another, similar to how WC3 did it.  In the beginning, two campaigns (Sun and Moon) would be available, and upon the completion of both, another would become available.

So, to sum all of that up, some of the things it will likely require are the ability to restrict the tech tree (i.e. you can only build a couple different units at the beginning), the ability to store data from one scenario to the next, branching scenarios (as I previously covered), and the ability to unlock new campaigns upon the completion of a previous one.

battle machine man

« Reply #12 on: 16 February 2009, 16:08:32 »
I'm actually in the very beginning stages of my campaign for Sun and Moon, but I need to work out the storyline, settings, and characters before I start making the scenarios.

An important part of the storyline for the Moon faction is that there's an internal struggle between the path of wisdom and the path of savagery.  It's something akin to any Star Wars game where you can choose to follow the Light Side or the Dark Side.  This will effect not only how the story unfolds, but also what units become available later on.  Following savagery will unlock units like werewolves and giants, whereas the path of wisdom will unlock units like the Moon Lord (a powerful magical unit).  Also, I'd like for certain achievements to be able to provide benefits or penalties for the rest of the campaign.  For example, finding a certain object might grant every unit on your side a +1 to sight range or pissing off that old witch might result in some kind of curse.  I believe the ability to store data from one scenario to the next is essential to this!  I also want a way to store hero data, but if it's just not possible, I think I can find a way around it.  There should also be the ability to progress from one campaign to another, similar to how WC3 did it.  In the beginning, two campaigns (Sun and Moon) would be available, and upon the completion of both, another would become available.

So, to sum all of that up, some of the things it will likely require are the ability to restrict the tech tree (i.e. you can only build a couple different units at the beginning), the ability to store data from one scenario to the next, branching scenarios (as I previously covered), and the ability to unlock new campaigns upon the completion of a previous one.
Someone should maybe help you but dont look at me!

anything