Author Topic: Save Game Doesn't Work  (Read 3295 times)

modman

Save Game Doesn't Work
« on: 2 December 2008, 23:15:30 »
I am using GAE, and in both of the applications, the save game doesn't work.  I press z and nothing happens.  What is the location that the saved games are saved to on default? (or do you pick it?)  Could someone please post the text of some crucial file that maybe I overwrote?  Maybe the main menu XML file?  I have no idea what causes this problem.

daniel.santos

Re: Save Game Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: 2 December 2008, 23:49:19 »
That's very interesting.  And when you go into the "About" menu, do you see "Glest Advanced Engine v0.2.(whatever)"?  If you do not, then you are definitely running the original Glest engine.  If you do, then that's very strange.

Saved games go into a directory named "savegames" which should get created automatically the 1st time you try to save one.  But you also mentioned that you do not see the "Load Game" menu, so that makes me think you are using the original Glest engine.  When you hit "z", a dialog box should pop up and you enter the name you want to save the game as (you have to click in the text area before you type unfortunately).  If this isn't happening, maybe you can start gae from a command line and see if there is any output to the console?

mictes

« Reply #2 on: 3 December 2008, 11:38:39 »
Or what is about pressing "y" ?

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 4 December 2008, 08:46:06 »
I tried in 0.2.10a and it is z. I noticed it doesn't save whether it is paused or not. Is this an important thing to include?

Also the focus isn't on the text box after pressing z (ie need to click on it first).
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

mictes

« Reply #4 on: 4 December 2008, 13:03:15 »
Uff, no when i said he should try with "y" i mentioned that it might be a problem of his keyboard.

daniel.santos

« Reply #5 on: 4 December 2008, 21:12:55 »
Quote from: "hailstone"
I tried in 0.2.10a and it is z. I noticed it doesn't save whether it is paused or not. Is this an important thing to include?

Also the focus isn't on the text box after pressing z (ie need to click on it first).
I'm not sure I understand the first issues.  Are you saying that pressing z doesn't bring up the "save" dialog box or that it isn't actually saving the game?  Also, I agree that the focus should be on the text box when you hit z, you shouldn't have to click on it.

modman

« Reply #6 on: 5 December 2008, 01:10:20 »
First of all, the problem is definately not with my keyboard, and I tried both z and y in both engines and nothing happened.  Nothing saves, no diolouge box.  Could the problem be that I was using GAE version 1.08?  OK that's what I think the problem is.

Sorry for the hassle.

daniel.santos

« Reply #7 on: 5 December 2008, 06:11:19 »
There is no GAE version 1.08.  Sounds like you are using a very old version of Glest (not GAE)

@kukac@

« Reply #8 on: 5 December 2008, 16:36:50 »
Modman, try to install Glest 3.1.2 or 3.2.0 again, and instann GAE 0.2.10b on it, and try to save again.

modman

« Reply #9 on: 6 December 2008, 03:09:17 »
Yes, I did that yesterday after I went on these forums.  Problem solved.  This topic can be deleted.