Author Topic: Feature Request: Automatic language detection  (Read 2596 times)

RainCT

Feature Request: Automatic language detection
« on: 11 January 2009, 11:31:19 »
It would be great if Glest automatically detected the correct language on GNU/Linux systems by looking at the LANG variable.

battle machine man

Re: Feature Request: Automatic language detection
« Reply #1 on: 7 February 2009, 16:09:22 »
yes, but how ??? i see a download optoin at begin of download but then youd need to re download :'(

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 7 February 2009, 22:40:54 »
Currently you specify the language in glest.ini or glestadv.ini . I assume RainCT means this should automatically be configured by Glest. This could be good but the language files would already need to be downloaded or have a way to download when Glest detects it or default to English if detected language not available.

I've added an enhancement bug for this at https://bugs.codemonger.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72

This topic might be better suited in the GAE forum.
« Last Edit: 7 February 2009, 22:49:17 by hailstone »
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

@kukac@

« Reply #3 on: 8 February 2009, 08:28:31 »
Well, the program at start could take a look at language of OS and Glest, and if they don't match, it could use the appropriate one. If that's not available, use English/download it from the translations.

Should I move the topic to GAE?

hailstone

• Local Moderator
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 9 February 2009, 07:08:38 »
Should I move the topic to GAE?
Yes. If there are no objections.
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

daniel.santos

« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2009, 08:51:51 »
yea, good idea.  Only I'm starting to think that we should distribute all available language files with the app rather than forcing them to be downloaded.  I've seen some tool that will do a cheap automated language translation out there somewhere (I forgot what it's called) that might help to get them started and then true speakers of those languages can fix them.  Currently, the english language file is about 6k, 2k gzipped and that would improve if all of the language files were in the same tarball and then compressed (because of the compression dictionary), so I don't think it would increase the size of the source tarball by much.

Then, the default language could be specified in the Config class, although the template files for that class would have to be modified as config.h and config.cpp are auto-generated (have a look at the function Config::getDefaultFontStr() for an example).