Author Topic: New unit ideas for Magitech  (Read 23447 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: New unit ideas for Magitech
« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2009, 04:38:02 »
i agree
i think that if the Glest Team is not going to keep producing more glest material we should organize our own new Glest Team and keep Glest going
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

modman

« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2009, 22:51:00 »
Yes, that is a good idea.  We as the Glest community should definitely organize and work together to create mods that are high-quality so they can be included as official mods on the Glest official web site (as well as Omega’s site and other sites like it).  I think that the first task of the development team should be working on this project on this topic.  A lot of the planning and concept art has already been done; it will be a good test on how well the team works together and good practice for them all.

Doing this project will certainly revive interest on the dusty Tech and Magic factions.  Making the factions longer will exponentially increase the playing skill required to master both factions.  This will also increase the amount of strategy used in the game.  Additional units all bring special features and uses that will need to be understood by a player, and additional special skills can be used during the game.  Many possibilities arise for gameplay that make Glest even more enchanting.  The game can become longer and different units can be used to counter different ones.  Also, a player would take much longer to get to the end of the faction and the game would become much less methodical.  The time taken to get to the end of a tech tree could be doubled or tripled, but if the enemy comes with a large army before then, you need to make a counter-force to hold them back.  There will be far more strategy in the game because a player will no longer be able to counter the initial waves of units simply by using the most powerful units in the factions.

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 1 June 2009, 01:53:39 »
Nice bump, I hadn't noticed this thread :)

When I first discovered Glest I was toying with the idea of a kind of summoner faction, I decided in the end it would be too much like magic, and while I hope I can still contribute a few models here and there, It doesn't look like I'll be making any entire mods of my own soon :)

One idea I had that might be useful to you as a 'training building' for some of these creatures  (maybe the bigger stuff?) is a summoning ring (or sphere, perhaps), summoners could summon 'small stuff' like they do now, but bigger creatures would have to be summoned at the  ring. Of course, I was envisaging creatures of a more 'fantastic' nature for this, I not so sure it makes sense to 'summon' and Minotaur for example.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

modman

« Reply #28 on: 1 June 2009, 02:12:20 »
I think that I actually did make a building like this.  But I think that I didn't actually think of a good name for this building.

The thought was that Magic desperately needed a Barracks-like unit.  The AI just didn't understand how to use the Summoner correctly.

Thank you for the comment!

MadElf

« Reply #29 on: 1 June 2009, 08:15:01 »
I think that I actually did make a building like this.  But I think that I didn't actually think of a good name for this building.

The thought was that Magic desperately needed a Barracks-like unit.  The AI just didn't understand how to use the Summoner correctly.

Thank you for the comment!

If you did, I wish I could take a look, since I'm making a mod for original Glest, I don't want the summoner to summon the Satyr... As silnarm said, it is weird.

modman

« Reply #30 on: 3 June 2009, 03:07:52 »
I've updated the initial post.