Author Topic: Ancient Egypt Faction ( alpha2 released )  (Read 122540 times)

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Egypt Faction
« Reply #125 on: 21 May 2009, 20:51:51 »
Looks good!
how long till its released?
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

jorgepiolle

« Reply #126 on: 27 May 2009, 03:10:32 »
hi i thing is a very interesting idea, but i thing may be creating a typical egipt warrior models could be more efective i see the faction uses recycled glest's troops and is very common in other factions
i thing will be more interesting if you create your own graphic soldiers because recycle troops from
anothers factions as battle mages, or others, is very bored because give not new strategic capabilities
and is as repeat always the same

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #127 on: 27 May 2009, 08:25:09 »
Hey weedkiller, spend some more vertices for the wheel, I think it will a good idea.
And you use two horses now, but I think one would be enough. Currently the chariot looks a bit roman and too massive not really egypt.
And try to keep the length of the whole unit as short as possible.I think it will look too ugly when a long thin units changes the direction in the game.
The picture I always had in mind for a typical egypt chariot is this:

And for jorgepiolle no, we will not recycle glest units in this boring way, I think weedkiller only did it now to show the idea and hold the proportions.

I currently have nearly no time to do anything! But as you all know its the same thing every year for me. The sommer month are not really made for computer gaming... But I will see if I find some time! My next model will be the mummy!
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 08:31:20 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 30 May 2009, 13:45:26 »
Quote from: titi
Hey weedkiller, spend some more vertices for the wheel, I think it will a good idea.
Definitely, hexagons aren't the roundest of shapes out there :) Otherwise looking good!

Quote from: titi
And try to keep the length of the whole unit as short as possible.I think it will look too ugly when a long thin units changes the direction in the game.
This issue has been noted and added to my task list, unfortunately it has for moment been assigned 'low priority', but an old friend 'catmull-rom' will fix this at some stage.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 31 May 2009, 22:47:20 »
But I will see if I find some time! My next model will be the mummy!
Here are some sounds I recorded that you can use for the mummy (if you want), and I could do some animating for it when you're done making the model.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/onwh1tddhmq/mummy_sounds.zip

Mark

« Reply #130 on: 31 May 2009, 23:02:53 »
Sorry for the long leave from the forums!  I think that you may be interested in this web site.

http://www.egyptartsite.com/war.html
« Last Edit: 31 May 2009, 23:09:09 by Mark »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 4 June 2009, 21:31:39 »
Thanks Mark this link is very useful!

here a first try of a mummy, it's really hard to texture !
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 4 June 2009, 21:48:36 »
They look a bit big.

Hectate

« Reply #133 on: 4 June 2009, 22:21:07 »
Mummies are monsters though, shouldn't they be "monstrous"? But that aside, they are a bit taller and bulkier than their playmates in that picture. Otherwise they're pretty cool! I would have wrapped them a bit tighter so nothing fell off...

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 4 June 2009, 23:32:02 »
Mummies are pharaohs rapped up. so they should be the same size as the other guys.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 5 June 2009, 06:13:50 »
yes, they are a bit big currently....
The reason for this is the bad texture. Everytime I tried to wrap them a bit more they simply looked like white guys in the game, not like mummys. This happens because glests rendering doesn't show the details. Thats currently also the reason why they are bigger, they don't look good if they are smaller. But I will try to retexture them again, probabaly I will end up in something better. This is already my 3rd texture now, but it still doesn't look good.

assassin

« Reply #136 on: 5 June 2009, 06:30:26 »
I think they look good. All they need is for you to darken their visible skin from red to brown, and I think that would work.

MadElf

« Reply #137 on: 5 June 2009, 08:07:25 »
yes, they are a bit big currently....
The reason for this is the bad texture. Everytime I tried to wrap them a bit more they simply looked like white guys in the game, not like mummys. This happens because glests rendering doesn't show the details. Thats currently also the reason why they are bigger, they don't look good if they are smaller. But I will try to retexture them again, probabaly I will end up in something better. This is already my 3rd texture now, but it still doesn't look good.

COuld I have a try with the testure? I love texturing things.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 5 June 2009, 08:29:41 »
the red is the teamcolor ;)

@MadElf: yes, you are welcome but not yet, the model and the animation is still not so good ....
I will try to focus a bit more on the model and animation now and then I give it too you for texturing, is this ok?

MadElf

« Reply #139 on: 5 June 2009, 11:19:42 »
Okay!

Try making the mummy a strong unit that you get after some time playing, something like a battlemachine, do you know what I mean?

weedkiller

• Draco Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 5 June 2009, 15:49:20 »

ok, now i im starting with textures, the archer is of course a placeholder, i will "agyptinise" it later
the red and green color can be teamcolor, but perhaps i must apply aditional details to it; i will see ingame.
perhaps some parts can be have fixed color.

@mummy and scarabs, wow that looks impressive 8);
i think the tapes of the mummy already are well placed, it only needs more detail and contrast

assassin

« Reply #141 on: 5 June 2009, 16:29:41 »
That model chariot looks really good, but perhaps the horse should be a bit shorter and more muscular, to make it look like a battle horse. The floating bow is interesting  :).

Titi, this site might me useful for the animals:
http://www.3dmodelfree.com/3dmodel/list418-1.htm
the files are in .3ds format, but they can be imported into blender.
« Last Edit: 6 June 2009, 10:51:02 by assassin »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 6 June 2009, 23:17:18 »
Titi, this site might me useful for the animals:
http://www.3dmodelfree.com/3dmodel/list418-1.htm
the files are in .3ds format, but they can be imported into blender.
Very useful site.

Edit: Something I just spotted on that site: "All the resources are not allowed for commercial use, otherwise you will be responsible for liability!"  It looks like if we want a faction to be compatible with any license that allows commercial use, we can't use any models from that site. :(
« Last Edit: 7 June 2009, 05:28:41 by John.d.h »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 7 June 2009, 08:54:30 »
Yes this site looks really fantastic, BUT:
Non commercial means a GPL release is not allowed.( GPL allows commercial use )
There is no info about the author on this site  and also the very uncommon copyright statement on the bottom of the site looks very suspect.
I'm shure we will end up in copyright trouble.
What if there are also commercial models in it which are found later in our mod?
We will not be allowed any longer to publish our work and we get in trouble!

Conclusion:  We should really not use anything of this!

If you think it's different, please contact the owner of this site and talk to him about copyrights.

assassin

« Reply #144 on: 7 June 2009, 09:36:31 »
All the resources on this website are the website users upload!
All the resources are not allowed for commercial use, otherwise you will be responsible for liability!

Presumably the content is user-created, and we are not going to make this mod commercial, but you are probably right, that it is bad to use content under strange and unknown licences.

If you want models, try googling "free models", and loads of stuff comes up!

Mark

« Reply #145 on: 8 June 2009, 00:24:33 »
I think that the mummy is looking pretty good!
Here is an image from a game i play (civilization) that shows the kind of neckwear that some pharaohs wore.  I think that if you kept that red between the bandages as blood it would be cool, and to make team color, make the mummy have on of those neckwear type things with team colored-jewels and the hat

Also, i think having larger mummies would be cool, because they are monsters.

Will the pharaoh use a bow and arrow in the chariot? because he could probably use a spear or a sword, but a bow is fine.  The horse (or Horses) should be a beautiful white stallion covered in jewels and colorful trappings. 

Do you plan on having standard melee and ranged infantry units for this faction?  The egyptians did have a large army with many swordsmen, spearmen and archers.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 8 June 2009, 00:33:22 »
I think that if you kept that red between the bandages as blood it would be cool
Mummies don't have blood.  The whole point of making a mummy is to dry out a body and remove all the organs so that it won't decay, so any blood the mummy used to have is long gone.

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 8 June 2009, 00:43:10 »
but it's a re-animated mummy  :P
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

Mark

« Reply #148 on: 9 June 2009, 01:46:06 »
Okay, if you want to be so much of a drag, yes i suppose mummies don't actually look bloody.  But then again, they don't walk, and they certainly aren't 8 feet tall, despite what that horror movie you might have watched last night implies.  And scarabs aren't three feet long, let alone 3 inches.  What i am saying here is that if you want everything to be historically accurate, you may want to contribute more to the parts that are not completely based in fantasy.  If you insist on making the team color be in that place, fine with me but I think i suggested an idea that would allow a certain aspect of fantasy and a little practicality into the faction.  i understand how you want things to be perfect, but you may want to reconsider my idea.  If i am coming off as rude or bothersome, sorry, but i really think that agreements must me made on the mummy in order to put some other parts of the faction into the spotlight. 

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 9 June 2009, 15:35:42 »
I think that the mummy is looking pretty good!

Also, i think having larger mummies would be cool, because they are monsters.

How do they get to be monsters. Do they grow or something! No they can be how ever Titi wants them to be.
(But it looks weird a huge mummy and a tiny man.)

anything