Author Topic: Ancient Egypt Faction ( alpha2 released )  (Read 122664 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Ancient Egypt Faction ( alpha released )
« Reply #225 on: 12 October 2009, 11:41:31 »
This is designed to go in the Megapack
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #226 on: 12 October 2009, 12:21:49 »
uuh this doesn't work in magitech? Thats bad, my son said it does, but I didn't tested it there myself. I always use the megapack .
« Last Edit: 12 October 2009, 12:46:27 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

assassin

« Reply #227 on: 12 October 2009, 16:15:31 »
Just played this, its pretty **** good for an alpha.
Some suggestions:
Make the spearmen/spearthrowers faster.
ake the obelisk animation slower.
Add a leather texture to the slave loincloths.
Make the mummies faster to summon.
All I can think of for now.

Loronal

« Reply #228 on: 12 October 2009, 19:12:52 »
Uhm would you mind if I uploaded this to filefront since for people like me who can get 100kbs for filefront and like 12kbs from about:blank it might be kinda usefull

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #229 on: 12 October 2009, 20:01:52 »
I'm gonna work on it tonight maybe, I'll release an ALPHA 2, IF that's ok with everyone.
Egypt Remastered!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 12 October 2009, 22:34:34 »
Well I also worked the whole evening(severeal hours!) on balancing this thing with 3 computers letting the egypts fight with other factions.
I think the next ( more balanced ) version from me is tomorow or one day later.

Filefront? Do you have a slow download rate from my site? That would be really interisting to know, I never heard that someone says my site is slow before!
Please don't upload it to filefront now, because I still have no feedback for the music license!
Anyone else has problems with downloads from my site? Please tell me about it, I want to solve the problem!
If its slow for you tell me which country you are coming from and whats the your normal downloadrate you get and whats the downloadrate from my site.

By the way: what do you mean with about:blank?
« Last Edit: 12 October 2009, 22:48:01 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #231 on: 12 October 2009, 23:28:14 »
Hmm, I'll use the rest of the night to work on Romans.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 13 October 2009, 00:42:01 »
Sometimes when you open a link in a new tab, but it's a direct link to a file instead of a web page, the title will display as "about:blank" or "(Untitled)".  I think that's what he means.  I support uploading to multiple hosts so that people can choose which one they like, in case one is faster or slower for them, and also in case one site goes down.  Personally, I try to always upload to both MediaFire (because it's really fast for most people) and Filefront (because MF doesn't work for everybody).  Personally, I don't think I've ever had a problem downloading from your site.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #233 on: 13 October 2009, 10:35:31 »
Just get one of those Firefox add-ons that speeds up your downloads.
Egypt Remastered!

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 13 October 2009, 12:12:03 »
Nothing can speedup a download of a 7zip compressed file! Don't install it!
Back to the egypt topic, do you like so far? Where are the screenshots ?  :'(

Loronal

« Reply #235 on: 14 October 2009, 09:46:26 »
Well I dont have problems its just that you don't happen to be my next door neighbor in Brazil. Actually I cant complain it downloads in they end and once that happened I discovered it was completely awesome, This faction is bloody amazing for alpha

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 15 October 2009, 00:02:36 »
thanks :) ! Its always good to hear that someon likes what I did!

Here is release alpha2:
http://www.titusgames.de/egypt/egypt_alpha2.7z  ( ~17MB )
A bit more balanced yet and hopefully fun to play.
( This faction works in the megapack! )

If noone else takes a screenshot, here is one:
« Last Edit: 15 October 2009, 00:05:57 by titi »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Ancient Egypt Faction ( alpha2 released )
« Reply #237 on: 15 October 2009, 00:06:26 »
Awesome, but now I have to download it again.
Egypt Remastered!

modman

« Reply #238 on: 15 October 2009, 02:39:20 »
Wow, great job on it, titi, and all others who helped!  I especially like the icons. :)

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 15 October 2009, 09:25:13 »
Played this last night. Amazing work Titi!! even better than your other factions.

Great models and icons  :o Animations are the best I have seen other than the original Magic and Tech.

Balance is quite good at this early stage  ;)

Two changes I would like to see:
Make the particles/splashes smaller, when your in a battle you can't see whats going on just huge blue particles.
Spearmen and Spear throwers take too long to build and are not worth it.

Hopefully I can post some more screenshots of this faction later.
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 15 October 2009, 09:42:55 »
Thanks for the feedback! The credits for the buttons go to my son who made them!

Yes, the two spearfighters take a bit long, but in the beginning this is OK. Otherwise egypt is too strong in the beginning and totally rushes persian or magic.
Probably I add a Trainigsfield upgrade for the desert_tent to raise its production later. Or I compine it with the priest production upgrade which was made fro the same reason.

revel

« Reply #241 on: 16 October 2009, 02:19:02 »
Here is release alpha2:
http://www.titusgames.de/egypt/egypt_alpha2.7z  ( ~17MB )
A bit more balanced yet and hopefully fun to play.
( This faction works in the megapack! )
Titi, the url does not work.
Not Found

The requested URL /egypt/egypt_alpha2.7z was not found on this server.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 16 October 2009, 08:42:43 »
UUUUUhh thanks for the hint
I called my file egypt_aplha2.7z instead of egypt_alpha2.7z

Sorry for this....

assassin

« Reply #243 on: 18 October 2009, 08:58:58 »
Did you see me last post in this thread?
It had a few ideas...
Anyways, here are a few more:
The annubis unit really should be called annubite or something like that, as there was only one annubis.
The priest should be able to heal.
Oh and where is the Pharoe. I was thinking maybe he could summon an uber-powerful guy.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 18 October 2009, 17:14:30 »
Yes, of course I read your thread!
I tried it with fast to summon mummys, but it didn't work. The cpu didn't use it the right way. But than I added an upgrade for the priest, so he can produce mummies faster later. This works fine with the CPU player now!

For the obelisk:
We decided not to change the obelisk animation speed when producing, because this model uses transparency parts for the texture. This results in  Displayproblems caused by the glest rendering ( things behind the transparancy parts are transparency and unvisible ...) .
When you slow down the animations, these problems are more and more obvious, thats why we stayed with the fast one.

The slave texture:
Well, I didn't tried another texture yet, for now its the way it is  ;)

for the new post:
yes, the priest should be able to heal, we forgot it!

Now for the names:
Anubis:
I'm not a native english speaker so I don't know whats better anubis or anubite or annubite?? What would be best, help m with this!

Pharao/Priest:
Once it was planned to call the priest a pharao! But then it turned out, that the CPU player produced too many of them. Thats why we decided to call him priest again. And for now, there is no proper way of having only one unit like a pharao. You can do some tricks with ressources and so on, but thats not really a solution, because the CPU does not use this kind of unit the right way!
Or should we call all those priests pharao?

assassin

« Reply #245 on: 18 October 2009, 18:23:28 »
Well, you could have a Pharaoh from the begining and he could build a powerfull unit later on in game, that costs loads of resources.

As for "Annubite", this means follower or worshiper of Annubis, "Annubis" is the god himself, so it doesn't make sense to have more than one.

Oh and BTW I always thought you were a native English speaker because your English is very good :) (my bad sorry)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: 18 October 2009, 18:26:57 »
For the obelisk:
We decided not to change the obelisk animation speed when producing, because this model uses transparency parts for the texture. This results in  Displayproblems caused by the glest rendering ( things behind the transparancy parts are transparency and unvisible ...)

Regarding the transparency, this is a solution that Eliminator posted in another thread:

OK so the texture is alpha. When you export it you need to select the head (or what ever is under a different mesh, hidden from view) and then press the A key twice (just to unselect the head and reselect all the meshs.) and export, wala! it works. Don't ask me why :-\
This is in Blender.
I haven't tried it, but it seems to work for him.

Quote from: titi
Now for the names:
Anubis:
I'm not a native english speaker so I don't know whats better anubis or anubite or annubite?? What would be best, help m with this!
Anubis is the proper name of the Egyptian god of dead, so I don't think it makes sense to call a regular unit by this name.  Anubite might work, since the -ite suffix is often used to designate a follower, so an Anubite would mean something like a follower of Anubis.  Personally, I'd rather call him "Anubis warrior", "jackal warrior", or "servant of Anubis".

Pharao/Priest:
Once it was planned to call the priest a pharao! But then it turned out, that the CPU player produced too many of them. Thats why we decided to call him priest again. And for now, there is no proper way of having only one unit like a pharao. You can do some tricks with ressources and so on, but thats not really a solution, because the CPU does not use this kind of unit the right way!
I would advise calling him a priest.  Nobody wants three dozen pharaohs running around at the same time.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 18 October 2009, 18:40:41 »
I think I wil call him "Anubis warrior" ...

I will try this with the transparency. Maybe this has something to do with the order the objects are exported to the xml file.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 18 October 2009, 19:03:38 »
I tried a lot now, but I cannot fix the transparency problem :( I can always see through the obelisk next to the "sparks"...

Mark

« Reply #249 on: 18 October 2009, 19:50:12 »
Pharao/Priest:
I would advise calling him a priest.  Nobody wants three dozen pharaohs running around at the same time.
I don't know, priest seems perfect to me, but maybe you could have a scribe that does research or something. Just a thought.