Author Topic: A question for everyone making mods  (Read 2807 times)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
A question for everyone making mods
« on: 11 March 2009, 19:59:16 »
Recently, there has been a huge spurge of mods appearing on the mods page of glest. I like to see this, and am glad that glest is growing at a high speed. However, this provokes a question, which I feel someone must ask the modders.

So, can all of you actually do this?
Can you model, and have you tested with exporting just a simple, textured cube?
Do you know the xmls good enough to make at least a simple unit?

And last, but not least: Will you continue the mod until the end and it is released? To many people start something, get everyone involved, then they're never seen again.

I'd like every modder to answer these questions, since I consider it important for all mods to be done to the best of their ability!
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Fluffy203

Re: A question for everyone making mods
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2009, 21:05:18 »
Ok i am a modder i can model very easily and animate i'm still a lit fuzzy with textures , but i'm kicking they're butts ( not using profanity for a reason). and i have had a mod warfortheages that i have put on hold not stopped , but put on hold for the time being cause i wanted to create the mod glest2021 which so far is coming along great. The xml's are also easy for me to understand and i can also make a simple/complex unit even tho the partical  system is really bugging me  ;D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2009, 21:13:48 »
well i don't know how to model but i'm learning, and elementals is still being updated just at a slower rate, because i'm making a second faction
i am confident in my ability to make at least a simple unit,i'm so so with textures, and icons i can do as well i have to say the only two things in my way are time and modeling
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Idanwin

« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2009, 21:27:35 »
I can make models, but I am a programmer (and writer, in multiple ways), not an artist (not with meshes at least).
I have finished my mod, but it is not "playable" (The AI has serious problems).
And there are some GAE features I'm hoping to be able to use soon.
I'll release it when most things are ready.

Don't worry, I'm staying.
(Maybe you'll be happy to see me leave, in that case: don't worry, everyone has to go one day...)

gameboy

« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2009, 10:15:33 »
I can Model, Texture, Animate and make 2D icons.
Exporting is easy and I can understand the xmls.
I'll start improving or fixing the elf faction after my exams.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2009, 04:24:05 »
( not using profanity for a reason)
Glad to know you have modding skills, but please, don't take the fun out of life with your above statement (lol).

(Maybe you'll be happy to see me leave, in that case: don't worry, everyone has to go one day...)
Awe, you really think we'd abandon you? (Looking back on it, we might... How many people have faded into the creases of cyber world...?)

I don't know how to model but i'm learning
Well, as long as your learning, I'm happy.

Here's my list of people I know can model, animate, texture, and export to G3D:
-Myself
-Titi
-Wciow
-Idanwin
-gAMeboy
-Fluffy203
-JohnDH (NOT blender, buildings only)
-Mictes
-Tucho
-Mad Elf (no anim)
« Last Edit: 14 March 2009, 04:12:40 by omega »
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

hailstone

• GAE Team
  • Battle Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2009, 12:26:18 »
You should probably remove me from the list since I haven't tried yet.  :P
Glest Advanced Engine - Admin/Programmer
https://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae/

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2009, 18:31:55 »
I can model buildings since they're more geometric, but I'm helpless when it comes to modeling people, animals, creatures, etc.  I can sort of texture, but not well enough to make anything even remotely decent-looking, and I haven't even tried animating yet.  Exporting to G3D and doing XMLs are two things I haven't tried yet, but I'm confident that I'll be able to handle it.  You can count on me to see my mod through to the best of my ability, but if I happen to get hit by another car and you never hear from me again, feel free to finish my work. :D

Edit: I've been doing XMLs for the last few days, and they're not too hard but holy crap are they ever TEDIOUS!  Also, I've managed to export a few models and get them working in Glest.  I'll put some screenies up on my Sun and Moon thread in a bit.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2009, 20:49:57 by John.d.h »

MadElf

« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2009, 02:03:52 »
I can texture pretty well because I know how to use photoshop well, but at modeling.... :-X
Well, I can model, but I have problems with exporting, and putting the etxture on the model, I don't understand about the animations, but I'm learning,  :)