Author Topic: Dinosaurs Project  (Read 2341 times)

ebola

Dinosaurs Project
« on: 9 April 2009, 20:56:28 »
Hello, this is one of my first real posts, but here goes.

I'm a just a CS student with a little free time, and a good idea for a game. I'm making a dinosaurs game off the Glest engine. This won't really be a mod in the traditional sense. I will be using the Glest engine to make a new game while still borrowing chunks of in-place RTS elements. I won't be announcing designs until I get more done and make sure they are implementable.

On the subject of GAE, I took a look at it, but I did not use it for a couple of reasons. 1, I don't really know what advantages there are to using GAE, at least in terms of what I want to accomplish. 2, GAE is still currently on 3.1.2 and I'm working with 3.2.2. However, if someone knows enough about GAE and know why I should use that instead, please inform me.

I thought it would be good to show some work before actually posting a new mod announcement, so I made some changes to the Glest engine to my personal taste and recorded them.

So far, I've added:
Cursor Loading
Unit Highlighting
Selection Circle (changed the function of the HP circle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKl7UgQFxuY

Next functions to add:
Health/Points bars
Command Queuing
GUI Restructuring

Some of these are definitely going to make Glest run slower, but I'm running on a fairly fast computer so it's hard for me to judge if its feasible on slower computers. I don't claim to be a C++ expert and I'm definitely not an OpenGL expert, so there probably are ways to optimize what I am writing. For example, if I could use shaders, I could make a much better unit highlighting effect, but I don't really know much about getting shaders to work w/ HLSL, much less adding in GLSL.

I'm largely designing this game on my own, but feel free to post opinions and criticism. If you come up with some idea that I decide to implement, I will give you credit. Next, I will be needing a 3D modeler for this project. If you can make, texture, and animate models well (as good as glest models) and would like to make dinosaur and environment models, please let me know. I can actually make them myself, but programming is time-consuming, and this is something that can be done in parallel.

And finally, to titus, I'd like permission to use parts of your tilesets to save some time, at least for the initial releases. I would gladly credit you on the credits page once the mod is public, even if it doesn't make it to the final releases.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2009, 01:03:32 by ebola »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Dinosaurs Project
« Reply #1 on: 9 April 2009, 22:53:00 »
could you make a download for some of this
so maybe we could add it to GAE and/or glest
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com