Author Topic: Woodsmen  (Read 48950 times)

madmanntis

Re: Woodsmen
« Reply #100 on: 16 March 2010, 00:13:35 »
What are you talking about?

I found the solution a while ago, and put it here:
https://docs.megaglest.org/Transparent_teamcolor

Basically, just make sure the opaque object is the light pink one, and the one with the transparency is the dark pink one.

Ahhh. Excellent! Thanks John! And sorry for the confusion ElimNator! I thought that it was you had initially discovered this... but perhaps I was mistaken.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 17:42:57 by filux »

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 16 March 2010, 00:55:00 »
O yes, I brought up the problem and Titi found the fix.  :)
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 16 March 2010, 01:44:38 »
O yes, I brought up the problem and Titi found the fix.  :)
I just don't get any credit around here, do I? :P :O

tiger

• Archmage
  • Don't rush it. Make it with Quality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 16 March 2010, 01:50:17 »
 :D

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 16 March 2010, 02:38:26 »
What did you do?  ::)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #105 on: 16 March 2010, 15:43:01 »
John solved the problem. ::)

THANK YOU JOHN, HERE ARE YOUR CREDITS! :D
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 16 March 2010, 16:48:55 »
No, look here Titi did.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 16 March 2010, 17:03:40 »
That's not the problem we're talking about. ::)

Anyway, bringing things back on topic, the burrow is looking awesome and I'm looking forward to tearing some people up with an army of giant grizzly bears. ;D

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #108 on: 16 March 2010, 17:05:25 »
Gah!
I was just about the post the same link!!! :bomb:

*sarcastic smile*
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 16 March 2010, 17:07:29 »
Sory but there both the same.  :O

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #110 on: 16 March 2010, 17:38:53 »
Elim, you're making a fool out of yourself......the problem is that some things were not visible through transparency, like parts of a model being blocked by other parts of the same model(the parts that are blocking out the things behind it are transparent). ::)
Egypt Remastered!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 16 March 2010, 17:49:38 »
Um I know...

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #112 on: 16 March 2010, 17:55:44 »
Yah, and JOHN solved the problem, not Titi, Titi solved the transparent teamcolor problem, they are two different, but related problems... ::)

After you figure this out, I'd like to remove this little section of OT...
« Last Edit: 16 March 2010, 17:57:30 by -Archmage- »
Egypt Remastered!

madmanntis

« Reply #113 on: 21 March 2010, 04:14:18 »
I think the confusion comes from both of the problems being solved in the same thread. Well, thanks to John and Titi for their contributions to Glest-kind!

Some small update-ness:
I was able to re-export the Earth Brother so it sits centered on it's 3x3 grid. Also, I modified the models for the Forest Elder Aviary and the Forest Elder Guardian. The Aviary is now a little smaller (it originally had a height of 11, and I felt it looked :confused: HUGE ingame. Now it's just 8 for height) and I beefed up the branches of the Guardian (they were scrawny with the same thickness at both the base and end of the branches). I then re-exported both units so the transparency of the leaves doesn't make the rest of the unit disappear from above.  :D

Will hopefully amass ambition to finish the burrow texture, finish xml's and test it all soon.. then re-release!

ultifd

• Airship
  • The Glest Video Guy :) The one and only. :P
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 21 March 2010, 04:16:30 »
So a week-ish from now is the release date?  :|
 :)  :thumbup:

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22 March 2010, 19:51:06 »
The Aviary is now a little smaller (it originally had a height of 11, and I felt it looked :confused: HUGE ingame. Now it's just 8 for height)
Ah, good.  The big canopy kinda blocked out a lot of other units in the area, so this should help a lot.

kris9700

« Reply #116 on: 4 April 2010, 17:04:56 »
Awesome mod cant wait tell its finished.  ;D

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #117 on: 5 August 2010, 03:16:57 »
The Forest Marauder (aka, moose rider) has a secondary charge attack (which, sadly, the computer will never use  :-[) that does big impact damage (but uses all of the unit's slow-regen ep).
Is this still true?  :| Why...

Hmm...would be cool if we could see the "brother(s)" in game...  :|

EDIT: I think there might be some new bugs in Woodsmen. Mainly with the forester (worker). Something about NULL and etc. I'll update this post later.

bogeyman

« Reply #118 on: 8 November 2010, 01:28:54 »
I like this faction! Very great and unique concept!
The owl looks really cool...
Can't wait for the bear...  :)

madmanntis

« Reply #119 on: 14 December 2010, 19:08:50 »
Hullo all. It's me again. It's been a long while. I am sorry for that.

Here's why. Gather around for sad story time.

So when we last left off, I was trying to get back into developing this mod and was about to release a version with the Earth Brother and Burrow.

As I had mentioned back in those days, the PC I built had been giving me grief with mysterious hard-freezes. I searched and searched but could find no solution online. Eventually I took it to a local computer shop which also did tech support.

One of their attempts to fix the problem was to reinstall my OS. They backed up all my info to their hard drive, put on a clean install, and they thought they'd fixed it. I took it home to find that a) my files had not been put back, and b) the problem had not been fixed. Annoyed, I again kept my PC over the weekend, and tried to fix it.

I went back to the shop. I was informed that they still had my files (they had forgot to put 'em back). I was also told that although they didn't fix the problem the first time, I'd have to dish out another $70 for them to look at it again. I refused. I took it home and continued to try to diagnose and fix the problem myself, figuring that I might as well wait to get my files until the problem had been dealt with.

I never did get it %100, but my PC was a little more stable than before. Also, I was going to be moving soon for school. I took my PC back to the shop to retrieve my files.

It was then that I was informed (FOR THE FIRST TIME) that the policy of the store is to hold files on their hard drive for a limited amount of time. This is before I understood the wisdom of creating a backup of your work.

Whatever copy of Woodsmen is floating around on the internet is all that's left. All of my source files, textures, .blend files for each unit (with animations)...... gone.

That is why I have not posted in a while. It was a little bit crushing. All of my work on the Earth Brother (modelled, textured, animated, ready for glest) and the burrow are gone.

The moral of the story: CLOUD COMPUTING my friends. Back it up on the cloud.

God bless
-Madmanntis

Post Script(s):

With the course I'm taking now, as part of my project I'm making a website where I'm going to post some of sketches and things, including the concept drawings I could not share back in the day for lack of a scanner and camera. So I'll shoot a link over when that comes...

As far as the future of this mod, I am unsure. I have to think about whether I can and/or will get back into the swing of glest modding. It'll be like starting from scratch. There's a possibility I might just let the community have the mod to finish as it pleases. Like I said, I have to think about it. So more on that later.

ultifd

• Airship
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #120 on: 14 December 2010, 21:15:34 »
Oh no...  :( Another thing like this...cept' last time John d.h. recovered his files...
Everyone must backup... online and to external drives and such.
As far as the future of this mod, I am unsure. I have to think about whether I can and/or will get back into the swing of glest modding. It'll be like starting from scratch. There's a possibility I might just let the community have the mod to finish as it pleases. Like I said, I have to think about it. So more on that later.
Yeah...I guess the community could help balance the mod and fix any problems that it has...and maybe somehow in the future we'll have those other models too.

Zoythrus

« Reply #121 on: 14 December 2010, 22:04:09 »
well, wasnt there a bear made as a Glestimal? we can just retex it and pack it as the Brother

the burrow....do bears even have burrows?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 14 December 2010, 22:10:43 »
Well shucks, this puts a damper on my plans for a big compilation mod for GAE.  Woodsmen was going to be a big part of that. :(

Sadly, most of us learn our lessons about backups after we lose important data.

Zoythrus

« Reply #123 on: 14 December 2010, 22:12:37 »
ok, everyone who can read this:

back up your files somewhere! eg. i have all of the constellus files backed up on Mediafire, and i would suggest that you all do likewise! (filefront works too)

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #124 on: 14 December 2010, 22:41:33 »
Well, I'm assuming you don't need to make any changes to existing models and textures. That means you just have to (re)model the two new units you said you created (sucks, I know, but beats redoing it all). The rest (ie: balancing, fine tuning) is easily done from the XMLs, which can be changed from your latest download.

I wish you the best of luck in continuing this project.

Well shucks, this puts a damper on my plans for a big compilation mod for GAE.  Woodsmen was going to be a big part of that. :(

Sadly, most of us learn our lessons about backups after we lose important data.
That is sadly true, having ended up learning my lesson the hard way... Abet, it made me start the Military mod anew with better aspects, so I suppose it was for the better.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

anything