Author Topic: Unnamed Zombie Mod  (Read 2469 times)

wbokunic

Unnamed Zombie Mod
« on: 15 May 2009, 20:09:16 »
So I was playing Red Alert 2 last night right after having played an hour or so of Left 4 Dead. So my mind set was still in Left 4 Dead when I jumped into RA2. Then it struck me: Wouldn't it be cool to have a zombie RTS game? Of course, we already do have one called Zombie Master, but I'm thinking something different here. What if the point of the RTS game is for you to control a small human team and your goal is to make them complete some objective. Basically as if this were Zombie Master, but where you control the humans, not the zombies.

There would be several modes of game-play that I can foresee. Here's the three basic ones:

1) Barricade: Have the humans construct a camp and survive for a set period of time, overcoming hordes of zombies. They can use anything from assault rifles to defense turrets to accomplish this goal.

2) Get to Safety: Guide a group of humans through a town infested with zombies to a safe haven at the end of it. Pick-up items and gear along the way to aid the humans.

3) Rescue the Survivors!: Construct a camp and build defenses. Then send out a rescue party to go and save surviving humans inside a barricaded house or building. They cannot survive for long, so make haste!

So basically these are standard RTS elements with the zombie twist to them. I'd really like to see this come to fruition using the glest engine.

I'm not a programmer, sound artist or graphic artist. But I can work on the story elements to make the game flow evenly as well as do a bit of sound track work and voice work. If anyone who can do sound effects, program, map or anything required to make this game come to fruition is interested, please reply to this thread. I'm really wanting to see this mod get made (possibly even be made into a stand alone game).

njdnjd3

Re: Unnamed Zombie Mod
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2009, 23:17:23 »
this wont make it
it wont be completed  ???  :'(
« Last Edit: 15 May 2009, 23:19:03 by njdnjd3 »

wbokunic

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2009, 01:21:40 »
Maybe. I want to get it done through the Glest engine, but the only people I know who can program and such only use the Source engine, so it may have to go through that =/

njdnjd3

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2009, 03:53:01 »
dude we already have enough projects going right now
in fact some are on hold
please don't come up with more ideas, that you're not even willing to help much with, besides the story :P
with doesn't really matter that much
i kinda think if you can't do XML you shouldn't try and make a mod :P

wbokunic

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2009, 04:16:31 »
Way to be a jerkoff. Actually, I am doing work. I'm programming a 2D proof-of-concept example at the moment. I can't program for 3D. I'll just head over to ModDB to get help on the project for now.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2009, 04:31:41 »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but honestly there really are a lot of projects going on right now, and everyone pretty much has their hands full with their own mods, so saying "hey, I have this idea, but I can't do it myself so can somebody help me?" isn't really going to get much of a response.  Modding is a lot of work and it takes a lot of patience to learn all the skills necessary.  If you have the passion for it, then you'll take the time to learn how to model, texture, write XML, etc.  If you don't, then we're not here to pick up your slack.  Sorry.  I don't mean to sound like an ass, but that's just the way it is.  It's like going into a big Chrysler factory and saying "Hey, I've got an idea for a car, can you guys build it for me?"  They've got the capabilities, but they've got their hands full already.

wbokunic

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2009, 04:35:44 »
I've matured the idea since psoting here. I initially liked the Glest engine, and still do, but finding people who know how to program it is hard. Finding people who know the Source engine is much easier. So I'm talking with a few people now about that. It'll be a Half-Life 2 mod directly (taking place in Ravenholm-ish areas), so the textures and models are all there. I may come back to Glest eventually once I learn it, but for nopw this seems like the best course of action.

MadElf

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2009, 10:33:06 »
I've matured the idea since psoting here. I initially liked the Glest engine, and still do, but finding people who know how to program it is hard. Finding people who know the Source engine is much easier. So I'm talking with a few people now about that. It'll be a Half-Life 2 mod directly (taking place in Ravenholm-ish areas), so the textures and models are all there. I may come back to Glest eventually once I learn it, but for nopw this seems like the best course of action.

Modding is really easy, why don't you try yourself?

anything