Author Topic: Texture help  (Read 4609 times)

Fluffy203

Texture help
« on: 23 May 2009, 00:55:47 »
I need some help with texturing first off lets start by saying i suck at this part me and uv's don't get along , but when we do and i put the texture on the model it is pixelated can someone tell me why or atleast shine some light on this situation.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Texture help
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2009, 04:37:56 »
Well, why not make high res textures. For example, rather than 256 x 256 textures, use 512 x 512. Or make sure you aren't viewing at an angle, or too close, etc;
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Hectate

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2009, 13:22:15 »
Omega is right. If you have a building ten feet tall (in Glest scale) and it's only 10 pixels tall on the texture, you'll have foot tall blocks of color. Obviously glest and blender can't add things that aren't in the texture. I'm assuming you're using blender of course.

My recommendation would be to
1. use a higher resolution texture as omega suggested (change the numbers when you're going to run the "Export UV" script) and
2. rescale portions of the UV that are less important to give more space (and thus more pixels - meaning more detail can fit there) to the more visible sections.

For #2, if you didn't know you can press "S" to scale the portions of the UV you have selected - just like in the 3D windows. Additionally you can then press "X" or "Y" to limit the scaling to either axis (X is left-right and Y is up-down). You can also press "M" to mirror the selection, in case it fits or lines up better flipped around. And of course, "R" allows you to rotate it.

So for instance, if you had a tank, you could make the portions of the UV that include the turret (which is seen more) larger on the UV grid. Obviously you'll probably need to shrink other portions to make everything fit on one texture, so something else will have less detail on it.

Fluffy203

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2009, 15:47:59 »
I'm not using blender thanks for the explanation though , but still i have the resolution of the buildings texture set to 512x512 and the building is set to the height of the mage tower in model and in scale to glest xml , so is there anything else you could thing off? ???

Hectate

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2009, 16:05:45 »
If you've got it in Glest, can we get a screenshot? Maybe seeing it might help us get a better idea. Also a picture of the texture as well would be useful.

Fluffy203

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2009, 16:38:32 »
I'll show you here

Hectate

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2009, 16:52:04 »
Honestly it doesn't look bad in the image. It just looks textured. Keep in mind that, even when zoomed up closer in Glest, the game will be smoothing the image to some degree. To test how it'll look, export it and pull it up in the g3d viewer.

Fluffy203

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2009, 17:04:03 »
ok thanks for the help  ;D

Hectate

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2009, 17:53:53 »
Out of curiosity, is that the correct picture? I just now noticed that you said "building" but the image posted looks like a sword.

Fluffy203

« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2009, 19:31:19 »
No its not , but it has the exact same issue with the texture being pixelated also how do i do alpha channel i can't get it , its all in blender and i'm not using blender
« Last Edit: 23 May 2009, 19:37:42 by Fluffy203 »

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2009, 00:46:36 »
Even if it is pixelated (I'm not seeing it, but I'll take your word for it) it should still look fine in Glest since the camera is zoomed pretty far out.  For alpha, if you're modifying your texture in GIMP, you can select the part you want to make into alpha, then click "colors" > "color to alpha", and then mess with the settings until you've got it the way you want, then apply it.  There's a little preview window that should show you what you're working with.  The part with the checkerboard pattern is the alpha.  It might take a little practice to get it looking the way you want it to, but just experiment around with it and you should figure it out.  After making the alpha, I generally use a bucket fill with opacity of .25 and a black color, so it makes the color less bright.  That's just my preference, though.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 00:49:31 by John.d.h »

Fluffy203

« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2009, 00:52:26 »
hey seriously this is becoming annoying , when i texture something nothing appears in game anymore ok fine here in 3ds

But not fine in 3gd viewer or game

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2009, 01:04:02 »
Did you apply a material?

Fluffy203

« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2009, 01:05:40 »
Yes the texture on the sword already , do you want the file i'll give it to you just to see if it would work on yours ???

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2009, 01:15:06 »
I can give it a shot.

Fluffy203

« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2009, 01:22:34 »
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fc3e352c0e1cc1cf4012e8015643d9c88fb71c5cd05ca104   let me know if you get it working cause i can't seem to put anything in game that i have textured

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2009, 01:52:54 »
I'm confused... the model is a person but the texture is just a sword?  Anyway, here's what I got:

What you might be doing wrong is that your texture is a jpg file.  For Glest, textures have to be uncompressed tga.  You can convert the file by opening it in GIMP and saving it as a tga.  When it asks if you want RLE compression, make sure to leave the check box empty and the origin at the bottom left.  Also, the texture has to be in the same folder as the g3d in order for it to work.  I have no idea about 3ds, but for Blender you have to follow this guide https://docs.megaglest.org/Texture_material for applying the material, so I'm guessing it's something similar?  Also, make sure that all your objects are selected when you export, or you'll be exporting a totally blank file!
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:27:19 by filux »

Hectate

« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2009, 02:00:30 »
Yea, that sounds like an export problem, as well as the texture being the wrong format (but I think it would error out of the program if it had exported it at all). Perhaps the .jpg is causing the export issues?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2009, 02:04:31 »
(but I think it would error out of the program if it had exported it at all)
Hmm... I think you're right about that.  Since the g3d is opening properly, but nothing is showing up, it sounds like you're just neglecting to select the objects before you export.  The script only exports what you have selected, so you're exporting nothing.

Fluffy203

« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2009, 02:05:18 »
Well i changed it to .tga rookie mistake , but i have no clue why you got a model of a man i guess something happened when i exported it into a .obj , but i still have no joy , my model is still invisible i've been having this problem consistently

Hectate

« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2009, 02:09:51 »
When all else fails, ask strange, unusual, or obvious questions.

What just came to my mind is "Is the texture 100% alpha transparent?

Fluffy203

« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2009, 02:12:22 »
No , here take a look at it , dl it and look at the alpha channel http://www.mediafire.com/?kyjizmtezwt and if someone doesn't mind i would love it for someone to download team viewer so that you can remote access my comp so that i can show you whats up

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #22 on: 25 May 2009, 15:21:19 »
ok I took a look at it too.

1. you exported three different objcets in your .obj file.
 - A man ( without any texture but with fragments of a glest man UV mapping )
 - A simple block ( don't know what it should be, but it had no texture or UV mapping )
 - A sword with UV mapping but with a material, but both material and uv mapping have no texture!?!

and as someone said before a jpg as texture which is not supported by glest. ( only uncompressed tgas )
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 May 2009, 23:11:18 »

It's there...

it's just to small to see...

I had to bump that all the way up to 1 to get the image above...

To avoid exporting everything from the scene, use 'Export Selected...' rather than 'Export...'

Cheers.
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

Fluffy203

« Reply #24 on: 1 June 2009, 20:09:14 »
Woot thx bro i needed that , i thought that was the problem , but i could get a reference such as the swordman thx dude probs  ;D