Author Topic: GLADE Team  (Read 25633 times)

MadElf

Re: GLADE Team
« Reply #25 on: 4 June 2009, 09:22:34 »
MadElf, ElimiNator,

As the 2D artist and Animator (respectively), I need to ensure that my work will be compatible with the tasks you will be assigned to. Will you both be able to work with the .blend file that I produce or should it be exported differently?

Yep I'm fine with it.

Also, MadElf - do you wish to do the UV unwraps yourself, since you'd be working the texture completely yourself? Or would you prefer for me to unwrap and label the polygons before forwarding the task to you?

Doesn't matter, if you send the texture already unwraped, it would help, but it is not something to worry much about.

__

gameboy

« Reply #26 on: 4 June 2009, 09:43:41 »
okay, lets do Dark Magic.
after that we start improving magitech by making a few units, small step.

MadElf

« Reply #27 on: 4 June 2009, 10:34:44 »
So we could help me (that souds weird) making by pack thing for magitech?

https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4318.0

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #28 on: 4 June 2009, 11:27:04 »
We should not change magitech too much!
It's a very hard work to balance teams. Magic and tech should stay the reference for balancing. So every change on tech or magic should not change their strength!

But yes, let's focus on dark magic, but we should discuss this in another thread.

But as I said before, I currently have only very little time to do some glest things, but I will be back on stage in august!
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Hectate

« Reply #29 on: 4 June 2009, 13:19:00 »

Also, MadElf - do you wish to do the UV unwraps yourself, since you'd be working the texture completely yourself? Or would you prefer for me to unwrap and label the polygons before forwarding the task to you?

Doesn't matter, if you send the texture already unwraped, it would help, but it is not something to worry much about.
I guess it'll depend on the time I have available to the task vs. time until the deadline to pass it on to you.

Dark magic! Awesome! Do we have a Shadow Mage planned? I could make a projectile mesh that looks like the mage's shadow shooting out from him to hit the target. Nifty.

MadElf

« Reply #30 on: 4 June 2009, 23:34:53 »
We should not change magitech too much!
It's a very hard work to balance teams. Magic and tech should stay the reference for balancing. So every change on tech or magic should not change their strength!

But yes, let's focus on dark magic, but we should discuss this in another thread.

But as I said before, I currently have only very little time to do some glest things, but I will be back on stage in august!

Agreed, and me too, I'm on my exams week, what means that I won't have much time to spend on glest during the next few weeks....

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #31 on: 5 June 2009, 23:18:24 »
you still have an empty spot, for the Music Administrator 

i have volunteered for this place if you haven't noticed

I know lots of good places to find music, and i have a tool to convert to wav or oggs

Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: 6 June 2009, 01:04:20 »
we should create another topic for requests, to the GLADE team

another thing:
i think the GLADE team should be called FDA(Faction Development Association)   
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 6 June 2009, 01:16:42 »
It seems there are no objections to finishing Dark Magic, so I guess we can go ahead and get to work.  I think the first thing we need is to compile a list of what has been done for Dark Magic and what still needs to be done, and then we can go ahead and assign tasks.  Since we can't very well texture or animate a model that doesn't exist, modeling should be our first priority.  Luckily, we have several people who can model really well so that shouldn't be a problem.  So what we need is a final list of all the units for Dark Magic (so we don't go adding and removing units halfway through the process), and whether each of them has a model, a texture, all the animations it needs, icons, sounds... umm... anything else?  It would be best to keep the list organized in some sort of consistent format as well.  For example, if we had a unit called the Executioner, it might look like:

Executioner
Finished: Model, texture, stop animation, walk animation, texture
WIP: Attack animation, attack sounds, die sounds
Needed: XML, die animation, unit icon, attack icon, selection sounds, acknowledgment sounds

we should create another topic for requests, to the GLADE team

another thing:
i think the GLADE team should be called FDA(Faction Development Association)   
Personally, I like GLADE better since it's a word and it's specific to Glest.  Any game could have a Faction Development Association.  Also, I think it would be good to get a project completed before we start taking requests.
« Last Edit: 6 June 2009, 02:48:37 by John.d.h »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 6 June 2009, 01:49:08 »
I took the liberty of creating a ModDB page for GLADE, which is currently awaiting authorization.  When it is authorized, it will be located here.  Be sure to apply to the group or just give me your ModDB user name and I'll invite you.  I think the only person I found so far was gAMeboy.  When we get some screenshots and whatnot, I'll go ahead and make a page for Dark Magic.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: 6 June 2009, 02:09:11 »
i think there should be an extra catagory

you should have people who are just members of the team
without any specific job, that can be called on to do something

and John you are the czar so you make the decisions now not Modman, congrats on becoming czar 8)
Egypt Remastered!

Hectate

« Reply #36 on: 6 June 2009, 02:24:23 »

and John you are the czar so you make the decisions now not Modman, congrats on becoming czar 8)
Helpful idea, but don't forget to maintain a list of the skills they possess!

John: Signing up for modDB now...

John, Modman: Do we have a unit/structure that is in need of a mesh that has conceptual details available? If I can get started with something now it'll reduce any potential pressure with deadlines in the future. I only have occasional free-time and it would be beneficial if I had a project immediately to best utilize any opportunities to work on it if possible. If, later, a priority project comes up I can easily switch over.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 6 June 2009, 02:33:11 »

Certainly

Thanks, and yeah I know, but Dark Magic is his mod so his ideas are mostly going to be what we're going on.  Oh, and since you volunteered for music administrator, that is now your title.

Helpful idea, but don't forget to maintain a list of the skills they possess!
Agreed

John, Modman: Do we have a unit/structure that is in need of a mesh that has conceptual details available? If I can get started with something now it'll reduce any potential pressure with deadlines in the future. I only have occasional free-time and it would be beneficial if I had a project immediately to best utilize any opportunities to work on it if possible. If, later, a priority project comes up I can easily switch over.
Still waiting to hear from Modman on that.  Here's the thread for Dark Magic, so maybe you can find what you seek there.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: 6 June 2009, 02:36:47 »
Oh, and since you volunteered for music administrator, that is now your title.

thanks john 8)

so that means i'm a member, you wouldn't mind if i help out some with other things, would you?
cause i'm generally on quite a bit, and i probably have more time on my hands than most of you
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 6 June 2009, 02:42:01 »
so that means i'm a member, you wouldn't mind if i help out some with other things, would you?
cause i'm generally on quite a bit, and i probably have more time on my hands than most of you
Everyone can help out with anything, as long as they don't neglect their own duties.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #40 on: 6 June 2009, 02:47:48 »
understood

for Dark Magic i do not believe my duties are required
since the music for that faction is complete
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 6 June 2009, 02:55:51 »
Titi mentioned licensing earlier and recommended the GPL.  I have no objections to this, but I don't really know much about licensing.  I'd feel a lot better if somebody can explain the differences in layman's terms (i.e. no legalese) between some of the possible licenses so we can weigh the pros and cons.  I know there's GPL, Creative Commons, ZLib... what else?

understood

for Dark Magic i do not believe my duties are required
since the music for that faction is complete
I'm sure you'll find something to do.  Maybe concept art if you're good at drawing?  Also, everybody can help out in testing the balance against Magic and Tech.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: 6 June 2009, 02:58:19 »
music for the Egyptian faction coming up shortly ;D
Egypt Remastered!

assassin

« Reply #43 on: 6 June 2009, 08:49:18 »
Titi mentioned licensing earlier and recommended the GPL.  I have no objections to this, but I don't really know much about licensing.  I'd feel a lot better if somebody can explain the differences in layman's terms (i.e. no legalese) between some of the possible licenses so we can weigh the pros and cons.  I know there's GPL, Creative Commons, ZLib... what else?
have a look at the "short" explanation of the GPL here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html
« Last Edit: 6 June 2009, 09:29:33 by assassin »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 6 June 2009, 11:08:34 »
John...er Czar. I Would like to volunteer to model the wyvern, if this ok thenn i'll create a thread for it and update EVERY day.

I know that everyone is supposed to be doing specific jobs but i would like to do the whole model/texture/animation as my own project  ;)
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

gameboy

« Reply #45 on: 6 June 2009, 11:14:06 »
John...er Czar. I Would like to volunteer to model the wyvern, if this ok thenn i'll create a thread for it and update EVERY day.

I know that everyone is supposed to be doing specific jobs but i would like to do the whole model/texture/animation as my own project  ;)
go ahead. like you even i wanna do the whole unit graphics myself (except for the particle proj.).
you can update you progress on the dark magic animation blah blah thread.
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4039.msg25971#new

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 6 June 2009, 21:18:40 »
The ModDB page is up and running.  Be sure to apply to the group so I can authorize you (everybody who's going to contribute) to add/edit content.

http://www.moddb.com/groups/glade

Sure, go for it.  I think the Artistic Coordinator is in charge of who gets to make which model, texture, yadda yadda.

Uh...  ???  Let's just go with that unless/until somebody comes up with a better idea.
« Last Edit: 6 June 2009, 21:49:45 by John.d.h »

silnarm

• GAE Team
  • Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 7 June 2009, 01:30:34 »
Uh...  ???  Let's just go with that unless/until somebody comes up with a better idea.

GPL is your best bet, CC is nice and all, but it could potentially be much harder to comply with... eg. if you used a photo of a person for a texture, you'd need their written permission... sampled even a second of music/sound from somewhere, need permission... etc
Glest Advanced Engine - Code Monkey

Timeline | Downloads

asmodeus

« Reply #48 on: 7 June 2009, 03:41:04 »
GPL is your best bet, CC is nice and all, but it could potentially be much harder to comply with... eg. if you used a photo of a person for a texture, you'd need their written permission... sampled even a second of music/sound from somewhere, need permission... etc

You would need the same permissions with any version of the GPL.  The problem with the GPL (any copyleft license, actually) is that it is next to impossible to enforce with regard to digital content thanks to Fair Use* (as current copyright law applies in the United States). If you want a free license that will forces anyone to give you credit for your work but still allows them to use it, go with either the two[1] or three clause BSD[2] licenses or the ISC license[3].  They are all free licenses that are easy to understand.

* Fair Use allows derivitives to be licensed in any manner (remember that the only people that can decide if a use qualifies as a "fair use" are Federal Judges)

1.) http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
2.) http://www.xiph.org/licenses/bsd/
3.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISC_license

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 7 June 2009, 04:49:44 »
I'll go with basically anything so long as the following conditions are met:

1) the content will be free to use in any form (in whole or in part with any modifications or none at all) by anyone for any purpose (free or commercial)
2) the content will remain free when used by others (i.e. share-alike)
3) attribution will be included

I'm liking the looks of the ISC license since it fulfills all my conditions and it's very concise and easy to understand.  The GPL is a lot more thorough and has protections against things like tivoization, but anybody who wants to use the content and doesn't already know what the GPL includes has to sort through a lot of legalese and near-gibberish.  Since this really isn't my area of expertise, I'll go with whatever everybody wants, but I'm kinda leaning toward either ISC or GPL.