Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280323 times)

modman

Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #225 on: 3 August 2009, 01:40:34 »
**DRUM ROLL** I now have more posts than anyone else on the Glest board! My quest for world dominations is halfway complete (it would be complete, except some nuisance calling himself a 'hero' took back my beautiful princess and limbered my progress!)
Ya know there's no such thing as "dominations".  Not a real word. :P ;)

**DRUM ROLL** I now have more posts than anyone else on the Glest board! My quest for world dominations is halfway complete (it would be complete, except some nuisance calling himself a 'hero' took back my beautiful princess and limbered my progress!)
I think a more fitting award might go to the person with the highest quality of posts.   :P *Cough, Cough, Me, Cough*  :D :D
Heh heh.  Funny. :P

I made my own version of the texture, with my brother's help, and I personally like it a lot.  I think it's time for peer review.

You can download the new texture here (~0.40767 MB :)).

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #226 on: 3 August 2009, 08:23:46 »
Well, I couldn't think how how to put team color here... I tried switching the blood, but it was hardly noticable once animated (yeah, I've been done since yesterday, download link below).

I have a idea for the teamcolor!
Now where we know how transparent teamcolor is working you can make a very transparent and huge skull or evil head which surrounds the whole devil machine a bit like a fog. If you want to get something extra ordinary the skulls facial expression can change when he attacks to an evil smile or something like this.
What do you think?
I think its a great idea.  :)  Yes, the mouth part of the skull could be a dense network of faces, and they would "contract" and "expand" to show expression.  For dying the mouth could open wide.  Inside the mouth could be either blackness or completely transparent alpha.
That actually sounds... extremely complexe! I can imagine it would make the model look slightly odd though, and I kinda,um, skipped the thread on transparent teamcolor. If you want, you can try modifying for teamcolor. Possible places include streak on arms, on the wheels, on the U shaped axis, or the joints. If you look at the texture, it is very simple. The key to making a good texture is to make the texture good in blender. Honestly, I spent 45 minutes in blender positioning the UV unwrapping. Oftentimes even more!

Anyway, here's the download: http://www.mediafire.com/?zzwzcia2jze
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #227 on: 3 August 2009, 10:00:38 »
@Omega:
please, can we have the .blend file too?
I want to try it with the teamcolor skull ...

@modman, I will try the dark elder, but i need a bit more info about this unit.
What will his attack look like (any idea ? Or am I free to choose something?)
Will it be a strong unit?
Will it be fast or slow?
Can it fly ( it has wings on the concept art )? I hope it cannot fly.
« Last Edit: 3 August 2009, 12:11:40 by titi »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #228 on: 3 August 2009, 12:16:32 »
I made my own version of the texture, with my brother's help, and I personally like it a lot.  I think it's time for peer review.

You can download the new texture here (~0.40767 MB Smiley).

I don't mean to be rude but, Omega's was much better, it covered the whole rock and the made up runes looked really ancient, and they're glowing which suggests that they are really old and are being maintained by dark magic.

Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

gameboy

« Reply #229 on: 3 August 2009, 14:32:33 »
thats true modman, i think we'll go with omega's. u could keep trying tough, there's nothing like practice to make u perfect.

BTW can i do the gargoyle/balrog?

Mark

« Reply #230 on: 3 August 2009, 18:26:46 »

You can download the new texture here (~0.40767 MB Smiley).

I don't mean to be rude but, Omega's was much better, it covered the whole rock and the made up runes looked really ancient, and they're glowing which suggests that they are really old and are being maintained by dark magic.
They didn't show team color, and the runes looked more like some dwarven control panel, not a rune stone.  Though i can't blame omega because he didn't know what runes were and he did a nice job on the model.  Also, the stone was too dark, it made it hard to see at night ingame and the team color i added didn't look good with it dark.  The new runes actually say something, as well.  I also added moss to make it look old and overgrown with weeds.  If you really like the glow i can add that.

I think it would be best to finish any buildings that could be finished, but they all appear to be taken.  It would be fine by me if you did, but did you see the concept i uploaded with the fiery creature that looked like it was made of stone and had a large cleaver?

Though John.d.h has already created a model for the oblivion portal, I thought that maybe i could upload my original concept.  Instead of making a drawing, I have a ".blend" file that I created.  It is simple, and it has no texture applied.  I was hoping that someone could please apply a texture and at the very least send me the G3D with the blank texture. 

Modeling: The model might need to be scaled to size.  Keep in mind that the model is for a 3-4 tile unit.  The popcorn type things are skulls, and you might need to replace them with better ones.  Make sure that the texture is 256x256 or 512x512. 

Animations: The Oblivion Portal has only one animation.  It has a researching/producing animation where semitransparent particles travel through the ring of the portal.

Please download the folder and try to work on it.  In the folder are a copy of the instructions above, the model (in “.blend” format) and the image. 

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?rk1znmtxnny(File Size: 118 KB)
« Last Edit: 4 August 2009, 00:26:00 by Mark »

Fluffy203

« Reply #231 on: 3 August 2009, 19:07:56 »
This mod is taking like a year lol guess i might wanna actually get into it ok i'll do the imp for now sounds,animations and textures unless you guys wanna do all of that   ;D

modman

« Reply #232 on: 3 August 2009, 19:23:51 »
Well, I couldn't think how how to put team color here... I tried switching the blood, but it was hardly noticeable once animated (yeah, I've been done since yesterday, download link below).
I think that the best place to put team color would be the wheel.  Anyways, great job with the model.  Actually, I was going to toss out the Devil Machine because I couldn't think of a good enough concept for the unit.  Omega saved the Devil Machine from being lost in cyberspace to the list of deleted units from Dark Magic.

@modman, I will try the dark elder, but i need a bit more info about this unit.
What will his attack look like (any idea ? Or am I free to choose something?)
Will it be a strong unit?
Will it be fast or slow?
Can it fly ( it has wings on the concept art )? I hope it cannot fly.
To answer your questions, titi:

I don't really have a set idea in my head of what the attack looks like, so unless you can't think of something, animate at will :).  The Dark Elder is a strong mage, like the Archmage, but will have more HP.  So pretty much everything you like about the Archmage, with less of the drawbacks.  It is also slightly slower than the Archmage.  And no, the Dark Elder does not fly 8).  You don't even have to model the wings if you don't want to, but try to avoid large patches without clothes, because it makes it look vulnerable.

You can download the new texture here (~0.40767 MB  ;D).
That's fine.  I just wanted to put an alternative out there.  What if the green part was team color?  Or did I just make a fool out of myself because that's already been done? :P?

Yes, please do ;D!  Remember, the enemy is supposed to be scared when it approaches :D.  It is the most powerful melee in Dark Magic.  It's somewhat equivalent to the Battle machine.

This mod is taking like a year lol guess i might wanna actually get into it ok i'll do the imp for now sounds,animations and textures unless you guys wanna do all of that   ;D
OK, do the Imp, but please don't disappear :P.  The Imp is size value two (takes up four tiles) and is a fast runner.  It's slightly slower than a Horseman.
« Last Edit: 3 August 2009, 19:26:45 by modman »

Fluffy203

« Reply #233 on: 3 August 2009, 19:29:01 »
does it not fly or hover atleast cause it has wings or am i getting the wrong picture here?

modman

« Reply #234 on: 3 August 2009, 19:54:51 »
No, think of how a dog would run with only two legs. ;D :P

Fluffy203

« Reply #235 on: 3 August 2009, 20:25:49 »
lmfao seriously i just modeled it like in the concept art , but i'll just add bones and fuck with him like that i guess

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 3 August 2009, 20:38:50 »
The skull as teamcolor doesn't really work :-/
Glest has two problems here:
1. objects are not visible inside a transparent object ( thats why I tried it above )
2. shadows in transparent objects ( this is a no go in my opinion )

But my monsterhead looks really freaky in blender, doesn't it?

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.titusgames.de/tmp/skullingame.jpg[/img]
... ok and now I try the dark elder
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:46:26 by filux »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

modman

« Reply #237 on: 3 August 2009, 20:45:43 »
Oh, I forgot.  Omega, if you want to model something, you can do the Sheol Temple.  The concept art is below.

http://www.nicksoutham.com/temple_big.jpg

Mark

« Reply #238 on: 3 August 2009, 20:58:17 »
lmfao seriously i just modeled it like in the concept art , but i'll just add bones and fuck with him like that i guess
Please try to keep the swears down.  :P

Yes, please do ;D!  Remember, the enemy is supposed to be scared when it approaches :D.  It is the most powerful melee in Dark Magic.  It's somewhat equivalent to the Battle machine.
I think it is a little stronger than the battlemachine.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 3 August 2009, 22:02:16 »
Oh, I forgot.  Omega, if you want to model something, you can do the Sheol Temple.  The concept art is below.

http://www.nicksoutham.com/temple_big.jpg
The Sheol Temple has already been modeled by Fluffy, but it still needs a texture.  I don't know if he uploaded it anywhere yet...
https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=4402.msg27437#msg27437

The skull as teamcolor doesn't really work :-/
Glest has two problems here:
1. objects are not visible inside a transparent object ( thats why I tried it above )
2. shadows in transparent objects ( this is a no go in my opinion )

But my monsterhead looks really freaky in blender, doesn't it?
Yeah, I noticed the transparency problem when I made the Divination Crystal.  The things behind the transparent part turned invisible. :(

The head looks good, but I'm not sure about having it as part of the Devil Machine.  I'm sure we could probably use it elsewhere in Dark Magic, though, since it certainly looks evil enough.  Maybe it could be the base of the Gods' Bane or the skull on top of the Sheol Temple.

Though John.d.h has already created a model for the oblivion portal, I thought that maybe i could upload my original concept.  Instead of making a drawing, I have a ".blend" file that I created.  It is simple, and it has no texture applied.  I was hoping that someone could please apply a texture and at the very least send me the G3D with the blank texture.  Here is an image of it.
Oh, I like it!

Modeling: The model might need to be scaled to size.  Keep in mind that the model is for a 3-4 tile unit.  The popcorn type things are skulls, and you might need to replace them with better ones.  Make sure that the texture is 256x256 or 512x512. 

Animations: The Oblivion Portal has only one animation.  It has a researching/producing animation where semitransparent particles travel through the ring of the portal.
I think it would look even better if the ring were hovering the air, instead of being attacked to the pedestal.  Then for the idle animation, the ring could bob up and down slowly.  For the producing, maybe the ring could spin around its Z axis, along with the particles you're talking about.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 4 August 2009, 00:11:28 »
a first picture of the dark mage ( really work in progress! especially the clothes )
[img]http://www.titusgames.de/tmp/darkmage.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:45:46 by filux »

Mark

« Reply #241 on: 4 August 2009, 00:29:25 »
Nice, titi, but someone already made the dark mage.  Of course, if you ment dark elder, that slot is still open.   ;)

modman

« Reply #242 on: 4 August 2009, 01:47:08 »
The latest version of the faction diagram (Click to enlarge):
[url=http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6407/darkmagicv546.jpg][img]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6407/darkmagicv546.jpg[/img][/url]
I made a new faction diagram, and updated the initial post to be a little shorter in height :).
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:46:05 by filux »

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: 4 August 2009, 08:52:01 »
yes, dark elder  :-[ :-[

Thats a very nice faction diagram modman! Thanks for the overview.
« Last Edit: 4 August 2009, 09:18:13 by titi »

modman

« Reply #244 on: 4 August 2009, 17:11:42 »
Thats a very nice faction diagram modman! Thanks for the overview.
Thank you, titi ;D!  I really appreciate the complements.

So as you can see, since the Dark Elder is near the end of the faction, it will be a powerful unit.

a first picture of the dark mage ( really work in progress! especially the clothes )
Could you include the staff?  It might come in handy for an attack.  For example, it could stamp the staff into the ground and a particle proj comes out of the ground... ???

modman

« Reply #245 on: 4 August 2009, 18:47:57 »
I have begun a wikia on Dark Magic, which will describe history, and the units in Dark Magic here.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:34:45 by filux »

Mark

« Reply #246 on: 4 August 2009, 19:01:50 »
I was thinking of having a good range, but the particle proj would be invisible.  It would also have a splash, and it would look like it was coming out of nowhere, so it would be really cool.  That may be the same as what modman ment to say, because I know we have discussed that type of attack.

OMG!  :o :o I just found a really good example of how units should mount horses in Glest:

Check It Out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoXDxHN__hE

Tip: Go to 8:30 and watch the golden egyptian guys.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2016, 17:45:20 by filux »

modman

« Reply #247 on: 5 August 2009, 21:46:26 »
I made a Excel spreadsheet about the levels of the units in Dark Magic.  A level is any requirement a unit has.  For example, the Imp requires the Dark Sorcery and the Oblivion Portal, and the Sorcery Runes (because the Sorcery Runes does the upgrading).  So the Imp is a level three unit.  In this way, I can track how advanced a faction gets.

I used Google Docs, which is free, so I was able to publish my work as a web page for you guys to see.  I even colored it! ;D  The link is below:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tXpo11iKt-y5Qsv34kHIozQ&output=html

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #248 on: 9 August 2009, 01:12:37 »
Wow Modman nice work with your Wikia and other speadsheet.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

gameboy

« Reply #249 on: 9 August 2009, 12:58:20 »
yeah man thats really damn smooth :D

anything