Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280313 times)

MadElf

Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2009, 00:00:42 »
Just tell me what exactly you want me to texture, I will start with the ones that have a download link on their post.

The pain Tower maybe or the shadow Walker, I can do a good texture on about 2 hours so expect those 2 done for today, Since i have good ideas of what you guys want, but if you guys want some special colour or team colour of a speciasl place, tell me.

modman

« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2009, 02:52:14 »
Very good.  But we already have a completed model for the Earth Serpent, thanks to Gameboy.

The Beast Trap should be less ambitious than what Mark suggested.  It could be as simple as a pit with spikes around the outside (to match the theme).

Mark

« Reply #27 on: 18 June 2009, 02:54:08 »
Gods Bane:

I will explain everything there is to know about modeling the gods bane in as great amount of detail as I deem necessary.  The spikes run around the perimeter of the boulder of the Gods Bane.  The boulder its self is covered in either chalked in or engraved runes.  It has four depressions in which a skull is placed, and the skull has ruby eyes.  On the top are large horns, which form a type of cage on its apex.  My brother (modman) told me that he thought it would be cool if the particle projection for the attack propagated from this “cage”.  I hope that this is a simple but effective way to help you model the God’s Bane.  The model needs no animation at all.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2009, 06:32:45 »
Okay, so what was I missing from before?  Oh, sounds and icons!  How are those coming along?  Anyone?

Very good.  But we already have a completed model for the Earth Serpent, thanks to Gameboy.
Okay, cool.
The Beast Trap should be less ambitious than what Mark suggested.  It could be as simple as a pit with spikes around the outside (to match the theme).
How would we model a pit?  I don't think we can really make anything sink into the ground, if that's what you mean.
<abridged>
That works, I guess.  I like this one as well, though.  I'll leave that up to Modman and gAMeboy to figure out which one fits the theme better.
Just tell me what exactly you want me to texture, I will start with the ones that have a download link on their post.

The pain Tower maybe or the shadow Walker, I can do a good texture on about 2 hours so expect those 2 done for today, Since i have good ideas of what you guys want, but if you guys want some special colour or team colour of a speciasl place, tell me.
Texture whichever models you want.  I'll leave that up to your judgment.  Just think dark, sinister, evil... I'm sure you get the idea by now.

gameboy

« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2009, 07:32:50 »
I'm doing the Pain Tower, you can do it aswell, that way we could combine all the good aspect from both the textures, how 'bout that.
I was thinking for the beast trap we could have curved spikes sticking out of the ground,like a cage.

EDIT: I've done two animations for the Dark Mage, the Idle and the Walking. Does anyone else want to animate?
If you do, here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2e4004805cbbc1fcd5a101cf914073b4eb70f2fffea6bc2b
« Last Edit: 18 June 2009, 07:43:30 by gAMeboy »

MadElf

« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2009, 12:41:58 »
I already started texturing the Portal thing, it is almost complete, I also already have the g3d model of it.

I'm making a Dark kind of thing with Blood spots over the bnottom part and some symbols.
I also turned the spike on the top to a Gem with is the team colour, and the things that turn around it are team colour too.

Hectate

« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2009, 19:41:17 »
 :(
Unfortunately I'll not be able to do the Imp or anything else for the time being. My extra time has evaporated and I will have to be out of the loop. I wasn't even able to finish the character worksheet I started for the Imp.

I'll keep in touch and stay on the forums, but for the moment I'm a non-producing person. Sorry.

That also means that the Imp is open for anyone that would like to try to produce the model.

modman

« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2009, 20:18:34 »
:(
Unfortunately I'll not be able to do the Imp or anything else for the time being. My extra time has evaporated and I will have to be out of the loop. I wasn't even able to finish the character worksheet I started for the Imp.

I'll keep in touch and stay on the forums, but for the moment I'm a non-producing person. Sorry.

That also means that the Imp is open for anyone that would like to try to produce the model.

Ok, at least you told us.  Some people say they want to do something and then we don't hear from them for a month, and then they tell us they cannot do whatever they said they would.

Mark

« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2009, 20:35:23 »
Here is the blood fountain.

It is a circular stone bowl about two tiles in size that is covered in gothic style decorations, and has 16 spikes running out of its sides.  It also has 4 skulls jutting out of blocks on its sides.  Inside the bowl is a pool of blood and in the center of that is a stone centerpiece.  In the center of the centerpiece are bloody organs, and blood drips down its lip.  For producing energy I think the water should churn furiously (What the energy source in magic does but much faster), and that is it.  If anyone wants to modify the concept that is fine.  My brother thinks that in the pool there should be 4 spikes with skulls on them, but i am not so sure.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2009, 20:37:46 by Mark »

modman

« Reply #34 on: 18 June 2009, 23:50:07 »
Very cool!  But maybe we could incorporate more of the features from the concept art I had already found...

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 June 2009, 23:59:28 »
EDIT: I've done two animations for the Dark Mage, the Idle and the Walking. Does anyone else want to animate?
If you do, here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2e4004805cbbc1fcd5a101cf914073b4eb70f2fffea6bc2b
I'm pretty busy tonight, but I can do the Attack and maybe Die animations tomorrow.

Very cool!  But maybe we could incorporate more of the features from the concept art I had already found...
I agree.  Maybe put one of those demonic statues on the centerpiece and the blood could be pouring out of a jug he's holding, or something like that.  Should we make it square, just to make it more different from the Energy Source?

MadElf

« Reply #36 on: 19 June 2009, 12:59:25 »
I finished texturing the Portal, What do you guys think?

I also have it on G3D already, so it will be ready for glest when i send the texture file, unless the animaitons aren't finished.

EDIT: The texture looks a bit crappy on that picture, I don't know why, those red markings are supossed to be symbols.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 13:03:14 by MadElf »

modman

« Reply #37 on: 19 June 2009, 14:49:12 »
;D I think that it looks fantastic!  Please upload soon, and G3D file format would be preferable.  But I think that it looks fantastic!  The only thing I would like more is for it to look more like it is made of stone, so all you would have to do is change the black color to a more grey one.  Other than that, it is fantastic, and I am happy you are doing texturing for us! ;D

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 19 June 2009, 17:57:23 »
Nice model Madelf!  :o

Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 19 June 2009, 20:36:40 »
Good job!  I agree with modman that it should maybe be a little bit more grey, but still very dark.  The symbols might be a little hard to see in Glest, so maybe make fewer of them, but make them bigger.  Aside from that, I like it a lot.

Mark

« Reply #40 on: 19 June 2009, 21:30:13 »
THAT IS AWESOME!  I was going to upload my own concept (which is remarkably similar to the one you made) but the one you made is very cool.

Okay, so what was I missing from before?  Oh, sounds and icons!  How are those coming along?  Anyone? 

When only me and my brother were working on Dark Magic, i did most of the images.  I decided that the way i would make the unit's image would be to put a screenshot of the unit in front of the baackground for dark magic.  however, that only works when you have the model, so until someone models the unit, no unit image.  For sounds, i am currently working on them as i am the foley artist.  If anyone has any particular idea of what a unit should sound like, make sure to tell me.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2009, 21:41:16 by Mark »

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19 June 2009, 22:46:49 »
When only me and my brother were working on Dark Magic, i did most of the images.  I decided that the way i would make the unit's image would be to put a screenshot of the unit in front of the baackground for dark magic.  however, that only works when you have the model, so until someone models the unit, no unit image.
Okay, so what about the other icons, like stop, hold position, repair, build, and so on?  Do you already have a good icon background?
For sounds, i am currently working on them as i am the foley artist.  If anyone has any particular idea of what a unit should sound like, make sure to tell me.
The Balrog scene from LotR (spoiler alert!)
For the Blood Fountain, some kind of churning, bubbling sound could be good, I suppose.  The Harpy probably shrieks.  Other than that, I don't know.

MadElf

« Reply #42 on: 19 June 2009, 23:13:14 »
Thanks, I agree that it is too dark, I will make it lighter.

PS: Is there a way of making a light or something coming from the center of the portal? I think it would look awesome if there was.

modman

« Reply #43 on: 19 June 2009, 23:17:07 »
Yea, he actually helped out about 50/50 before he had an account.  But technically he wasn't even supposed to have an account until he was 12, so he just posted the works under modman.

We have a working icon background, but I don't like it too much.  I would like Gameboy to make new icons, because he made such great ones for Titi's mod ;D.

I'll help Mark out with the sounds, since I don't have much else to do, besides concept art.  The Devil Machine was something I completely fabricated, but it has a specific purpose in the faction, so I don't want to cut it.  It will be designed to be an annoying swarm unit for the late game.  I want it to be mechanical, but to have a magical "force" propelling it.  The force could be depicted as blue sparks or something.  It should probably have one wheel, and it will be melee.  It should also be made of wood.  The concept I have in my mind is VERY hard to explain, but I did my best.  Please ask questions to clarify things...

Mark

« Reply #44 on: 19 June 2009, 23:53:57 »
I already made the images, but the background doesn't strike me as completely sorcery, so any previous image work is subjective to constructive criticism. 

I guess we could use the LOTR blarog, but i was thinking something more original, a more modified concept.

Madelf, you can make a glow in the unit XML, but it will only come on at night.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 20 June 2009, 01:31:46 »
The Devil Machine was something I completely fabricated, but it has a specific purpose in the faction, so I don't want to cut it.  It will be designed to be an annoying swarm unit for the late game.  I want it to be mechanical, but to have a magical "force" propelling it.  The force could be depicted as blue sparks or something.  It should probably have one wheel, and it will be melee.  It should also be made of wood.  The concept I have in my mind is VERY hard to explain, but I did my best.  Please ask questions to clarify things...
You mean something kinda like this?

I guess we could use the LOTR blarog, but i was thinking something more original, a more modified concept.
Yeah, that was mostly just for inspiration, and for what it might sound like.  Plus, the books actually leave a lot more to the imagination than the films, like whether or not the beast has actual wings or whether or not it can fly.

PS: Is there a way of making a light or something coming from the center of the portal? I think it would look awesome if there was.
I really don't think there is, except for glowing at night in the XML.  We could set it to have a low-intensity reddish-purple glow at night.  I think that would look sinister and eerie.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #46 on: 20 June 2009, 18:04:12 »
Good work being done! I see the GLADE team is very efficent!

After a personal request for modman, the 'Maximizing Your Glest Experience' page on the main part of glest.110mb.com now includes a GLADE team suggestion. A page for GLADE, as well as the GAE one, is soon to come!
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 June 2009, 23:26:42 »
I just finished the Dark Mage's Die and Attack animations.  I think the Walk and Idle animations should be tweaked a little bit, because in some parts the mage's back shows through his cloak, and the walk is a little... zombie-like.  Also, there's a little overlap with his arms and the cloak when he swings his arm during the walk.  I would fix these myself, but since they're gAMeboy's animations, I figure I should give him the chance to fix his own work.  My internet at home is abominably awful, so the upload might have to wait.

gameboy

« Reply #48 on: 21 June 2009, 16:58:20 »
you can do it John, I got fed up trying to make the thing walk.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 June 2009, 20:25:22 »
Here is the Dark Mage with his Attack and Die animations complete.  I decided against doing the "overhead basketball pass" attack, because I thought it would look like I just copied the Battlemage, so I opted for more of a baseball throw.  I'm still not sure it's as "smooth" as I want it to be, but it looks good enough in-game.  I'm pretty fond of the Die animation, though.

Mediafire link

you can do it John, I got fed up trying to make the thing walk.
Okay, I'll redo it.  For future reference, here's a fantastic tutorial on doing a walk animation.  I also might change the Idle animation just a tiny bit to get rid of the overlap.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2009, 20:35:32 by John.d.h »