Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280322 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #275 on: 17 August 2009, 23:04:17 »
Hey Eliminator I started a Roman Faction.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 17 August 2009, 23:12:28 »
Just a quick question, why are we making Dark Magic wen there is all ready magic?
Dark Magic had already been started by Modman a long time ago, it had a pretty clear and well-developed concept, and a lot of people wanted to see it get finished, so I figured it would be a good first project for GLADE.  Several members agreed, and then we began work.

Mark

« Reply #277 on: 17 August 2009, 23:41:46 »
Download the Oblivion Portal.zip

Oblivion Portal

I made this yesterday, but I didn't have time to post it.  The Gods Bane is coming soon!  I just have to finish texturing it.  Thanks Omega for the tutorials, it's great to know how to model.  I'll learn animations as soon as I memorize how to texture.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2009, 21:41:47 by Mark »

modman

« Reply #278 on: 17 August 2009, 23:49:32 »
That reminds me, it would give good karma to make a storyline for Dark Magic, and also for the rest of Magitech as well.

I just noticed how annoying Filefactory's download system is; it makes you wait for the download link!

ElimiNator

• Airship
  • The MegaGlest Moder.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: 18 August 2009, 00:56:58 »
Hey Eliminator I started a Roman Faction.
Ya I know, I voted the top. If  Glade team isn't interested in Roman can I help you archmage101?
It could go a lot faster (you see how fast I make mods.).
Get the Vbros': Packs 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5!

Mark

« Reply #280 on: 18 August 2009, 01:13:40 »
Just so you know, Eliminator, it is Czar, not 'sezar'.

I think that you meant 'Caesar', but that is the original latin name for an emporer.  The word Czar is derived from 'Caesar' and means a russian supreme ruler.  We use 'Czar' because (I think) russian rulers had extreme power and were ruthless in imposing their will.  John.D.H is the 'Czar', and you can tell because his signature says so.

Please can the Off Topic!

I am almost done with the God's Bane, but I had to go to the library, and call some friends and work on some other models.  Its been a busy day so far.  Sorry.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: 18 August 2009, 01:51:58 »
Portal.zip
It looks good.  We can probably make do with fewer polygons, though.  I didn't take that close of a look at the .blend, but from the .g3d it looks like there are some faces on the bottom that could be gotten rid of (they'll never be seen in-game, so we don't want them!), and the circles on the base could maybe be reduced a bit (16 sides is probably more than we need).  Just give it a try and see what difference it makes, I guess.  Good progress, though.

Edit: Wow, hard to believe I still haven't finished the Blood Fountain yet.  However, never fear!  I've got some free time coming up soon, so I'll try my best.  I tend to get side-tracked a lot.  :-[
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 01:55:43 by John.d.h »

modman

« Reply #282 on: 18 August 2009, 02:41:05 »
Portal.zip
It looks good.  We can probably make do with fewer polygons, though.  I didn't take that close of a look at the .blend, but from the .g3d it looks like there are some faces on the bottom that could be gotten rid of (they'll never be seen in-game, so we don't want them!), and the circles on the base could maybe be reduced a bit (16 sides is probably more than we need).  Just give it a try and see what difference it makes, I guess.  Good progress, though.
Well, in my philosophy, at least we have something I can use ingame besides Tech's Barracks! :D :P

Edit: Wow, hard to believe I still haven't finished the Blood Fountain yet.  However, never fear!  I've got some free time coming up soon, so I'll try my best.  I tend to get side-tracked a lot.  :-[
That will be great!  I like what you have started so far. ;D  I also get side-tracked a lot, but I don't tell y'all about it because I'm constantly working on unrelated Glest projects; basically new factions or mods on Magitech which I don't post.

Eliminator, I'm still waiting for that Sheol Temple model. :D  Or, just tell me you don't want to do it anymore, so I can hand it off to titi...

And I like how the poll is going!  I decided to make only two options this time so that the difference would be well defined.  Its either you want it one way, or the other.  No in-between or "I don't give a ____ ;D" choices so that those who vote would really give me info I can use!
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 02:45:33 by modman »

Mark

« Reply #283 on: 18 August 2009, 17:38:13 »
Gods Bane

Above is the finished Gods Bane.  It is made to look like the concept art I posted.  I’m glad I learned how to apply textures!  I have included the G3D model, the .blend file, the .blend1 (mysterious file to me, I don’t know what it does but I don’t want to delete it) file, and of course the glorious texture.  You can pretty much see what each texture area corresponds to, and feel free to edit and upload when done.  I have it so that if you modify the texture for the spike, (or other object that appears multiple times), it will affect all of the like types.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2009, 21:41:44 by Mark »

gameboy

« Reply #284 on: 19 August 2009, 10:34:21 »
BTW I have no idea why, but the G3D file is like 4 MB!  PLZ respond!

Check the animation timeline and see how many frames it is set to, blender's default is 200, so u have to make it 0 of an inanimate object.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #285 on: 19 August 2009, 14:29:30 »
the gods bane looks good! Nice job.
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Mark

« Reply #286 on: 19 August 2009, 18:50:45 »
There is no animation that I know of, Gameboy.  I don't actually know how to animate, and I just recently learned texturing.

modman

« Reply #287 on: 19 August 2009, 20:17:56 »
Yea, I heard of that, but I don't know how to set the frames to zero...

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 19 August 2009, 21:40:00 »
This is some kind of problem of the blender exporter. He always thinks he is exporting an animation. The default in many blenders is something like 1-250 frames in the timeline window. So the glest exporter will export 250 frames if you didn't set it .

https://docs.megaglest.org/How_to_export_non_animating_models
and you should really read all the blender hints in this wiki ( really not too many! ):
https://docs.megaglest.org/Glest_Blender_Hints
« Last Edit: 18 June 2016, 19:33:46 by filux »
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

modman

« Reply #289 on: 20 August 2009, 01:41:56 »
Thanks, titi, only two steps (really one)? ;D ;D  Thanks.

Personally, I thought that where the horns meet the stone part it looks a little, I don't know, not as good as it could be?  Maybe there should be a texture transition...

Mark

« Reply #290 on: 20 August 2009, 03:04:14 »
I'm sorry about that animation.  I will go back and fix them.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 20 August 2009, 18:15:35 »
Took a look at the God's Bane model, and once again you've got some faces on the bottom and the inside that the game will never see, so you can go ahead and get rid of them, and since Glest does some smoothing on its own, you can probably afford to make it a little more blocky without making a difference in Glest (aside from running faster ;)).  I like the look, though.  It's good work, but just needs a little improvement before it becomes great work.

modman

« Reply #292 on: 20 August 2009, 20:02:40 »
I did that thing you said to do, titi, and it really cut the file size down!  The Oblivion Portal was about 5 MB before, and now it's about 36 KB!

Mark

« Reply #293 on: 20 August 2009, 21:41:58 »

Oblivion Portal

Gods Bane

I have modified the models and removed the animations.  The posts which initially posted them have been modified as well.

modman

« Reply #294 on: 21 August 2009, 02:28:38 »
I have a new version of the faction diagram done.  It includes new models by Titi and Mark.  I also took the liberty to move the Dark Mage, because at the time when I made the image, the poll wanted the Sorceress to make the Dark Mage.  Anyways, the point of the poll was to see if there was overwhelming opposition to the move.  I'll try to post polls more often, too.  But for now, the Dark Mage poll is done.

//Edit: Oops, forget to post the image! :-[ ;D
Code: [Select]
[center]
[URL=http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9012/darkmagicv61.jpg][IMG]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/8757/darkmagicv61smaller.jpg[/img][/URL][/center]
« Last Edit: 8 October 2016, 09:00:06 by filux »

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #295 on: 21 August 2009, 04:54:57 »
BTW, I should warn you that the font you used in the Tech Tree Map is a shareware font which costs $15 (!) to use! Tread carefully, you wouldn't want to end up with a lawsuit... :-X
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #296 on: 21 August 2009, 11:52:06 »
There are plenty of free fonts, just do a google search....
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

modman

« Reply #297 on: 21 August 2009, 18:18:41 »
OK, so what do you guys suggest I do?  It was a free download.  How did the Glest Team legally use the font if it's not free?  I'll post the readme below which came with it:

"Goudy Lombardic

I had spent about half of my summer working on this typeface in my spare time when Adobe released a version of it. I contemplated quiting, but didnt. Heres why: This is an exact copy of a hand-penned example made by Frederick Goudy, himself; it contains, as a result, beautiful nuances and subtle curves not captured in Adobes version, which I feel is quite stiff and rigid.

Contains all 26 upper and lower case letters. The parentheses and question mark were extrapolated from other characters. Unfortunately, he provided no numbers in his sample, so they are not included here, either.

I kerned what I thought was necessary, and I am satisfied with the spacing results.

Much work went into the making of this font, therefore I am requesting a $15.00 user fee. After receipt of fee, I will send you an update which contains numbers (as I have recently obtained samples), ligatures, and ornaments. Also, optional question marks and explanation marks have been added. Please specify whether you are requesting Truetype or Type 1 format.

Thanks,
Marty Snyder
AOL: MartyTeach
Internet: martyteach@aol.com
601 West Mermaid Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19118
--------------------------------------------------------------
Font converted by Mary Bloemker (gwrepmary@aol.com) from original Mac Truetype format to PC Truetype format for upload and release to the America Online Software Library with written permission from the author. This font may not be altered in any way without obtaining written permission from the author. This font may be freely distributed as long as the contents of the archive, including this README text, remain intact and unaltered.
"

You see that at the bottom there it says you can distribute it freely as long as it contains the readme.  So I don't think I'll get in trouble since Glest is obviously free and I'll include that document with Dark Magic anyways.

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 21 August 2009, 18:58:00 »
... dont use it ...

Openoffice comes with some fonts which you can use without trouble.
All this annoying legal stuff is the main reason for my engagement for free games ( like glest ) and free software.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2009, 19:04:24 by titi »

modman

« Reply #299 on: 21 August 2009, 19:10:52 »
I was just wondering if how the readme says that the font can be distributed freely if the readme is included, if that means anything.