Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280332 times)

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #425 on: 14 September 2009, 23:26:25 »
I'll improve the Morlock that I posted, then repost it.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2009, 00:30:18 by archmage101 »
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #426 on: 15 September 2009, 00:31:24 »
Ok, I have improved my model, by changing the weapon based on what john said, and altering the hair I gave him.

WILL upload soon, probably tomorrow.........
Egypt Remastered!

Mark

« Reply #427 on: 15 September 2009, 01:28:54 »
Where is the thing to check in order to not add words to the end of it, Loronal?

I can't find it.

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: 15 September 2009, 03:05:12 »
Where is the thing to check in order to not add words to the end of it, Loronal?

I can't find it.
Ah, I know what he was talking about.  Here you go.

Mark

« Reply #429 on: 16 September 2009, 01:36:40 »
Yeah, thanks.  Is there anything else I should know about exporting static models?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: 17 September 2009, 23:29:42 »
As long as you remember to set the start and end frames to 1, that should be all.

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #431 on: 17 September 2009, 23:44:38 »
umm the units on the 1st page... I cant download the Dark Elder - every-time i click the link it says '404 not found'  ??? can any1 help?
PS this is not urgent but mediafire downloads too slow for me - about 1 - 2 kb/s whereas other sites download average of above 55 kb/s so can any 1 post them in another site?
Or better still - can modman (or whoever posts the Dark Magic Faction fully no offense) post an updated version of the faction with the new units?

Hectate

« Reply #432 on: 18 September 2009, 01:42:25 »
Edit: Nevermind.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: 18 September 2009, 02:16:54 »
umm the units on the 1st page... I cant download the Dark Elder - every-time i click the link it says '404 not found'  ??? can any1 help?
Since it's hosted on Titi's website and it's his model, maybe he took it down and will upload it again when he changes it.  If that's not the case, then maybe his site is having technical difficulties.
PS this is not urgent but mediafire downloads too slow for me - about 1 - 2 kb/s whereas other sites download average of above 55 kb/s so can any 1 post them in another site?
Or better still - can modman (or whoever posts the Dark Magic Faction fully no offense) post an updated version of the faction with the new units?
I'll work on a revision of it and upload it.  I just need to fix a few minor XML problems (like inaccurate references) and include the new models.  I'll release it as Dark Magic 6.1 tonight if I get the chance.

Edit: Not gonna be able to do it tonight.  On the plus side, the Sheol Temple's texture is almost done.

You can see it here, but I'm kinda considering redoing the texture on the horns to make it more like the spikes on the rest of it.  Not sure, though.  Everybody tell me what I should change and I'll give it a shot. :)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2009, 08:40:39 by John.d.h »

wciow

• Behemoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: 18 September 2009, 18:01:07 »
Everybody tell me what I should change and I'll give it a shot. :)

1. Horns need to be blended into the rest of the head
2. Try to make the texture look less uniform across the model
3. Add some smaller details
4. Whats that green bit on the front?

I was going to give this a go myself, but after seeing the UV map I decided not to.

Apologies to whoever made it, but IMHO the UV map needs to be redone before it gets textured. A poor UV map will never result in a good texture no matter how great the artist. Also there is no good reason why the texture should be split across 2 files!
Check out my new Goblin faction - https://forum.megaglest.org/index.php?topic=9658.0

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: 18 September 2009, 18:36:22 »
1. Horns need to be blended into the rest of the head
I was kinda thinking the same thing.  I might make them so that just the tips are alpha and the rest is dark stone, just like the other spikes, since there's really more than enough team color already.
2. Try to make the texture look less uniform across the model
3. Add some smaller details
4. Whats that green bit on the front?
It was a smaller detail intended to make the texture less uniform. :P
It's supposed to be ivy creeping up the walls, but I guess it didn't work so well.  Back to the drawing board, so to speak.
Apologies to whoever made it, but IMHO the UV map needs to be redone before it gets textured. A poor UV map will never result in a good texture no matter how great the artist.
Bah!  That's one thing I really suck at, but I guess I'll try again.  Practice makes perfect and all that.  :-\
Also there is no good reason why the texture should be split across 2 files!
I plan on combining them later.  I just find it a lot easier to work on one part at a time.

I appreciate the detailed critique.  I'll give it a shot tonight if I have time.

Fluffy203

« Reply #436 on: 18 September 2009, 22:12:27 »
well no offense there are different ways to texture a 3-d model and none of them are wrong , but here are two ways i do it

A. The smaller clean way, but alot more time consuming is to uv map the whole object and separate the object in parts during the uv mapping.

B. The way i do it is separate the object into different objects and uv map them individually and then texture them and compile them into a scene.

EDIT: btw our mod is almost complete  ;D 
« Last Edit: 18 September 2009, 22:15:48 by Fluffy203 »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #437 on: 19 September 2009, 08:02:49 »
Anybody got something for me to animate?
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: 19 September 2009, 22:49:54 »
I'm pretty sure we've got the animations covered for now.  What we really need are models for our Gargoyle, Imp, Harpy, Alliyp, Shadow Walker, and Morlock.  We also need textures for the Sheol Temple (but I'm currently working on that) and the Divination Crystal.  If I get fed up with the Sheol Temple, I'll post it here for somebody else to try.

Here's the current version of the Sheol Temple: http://www.moddb.com/groups/glade/images/sheol-temple-wip-4

I redid the entire texture except for the head and the spikes.  The horns have been altered a little bit to look less tacky and to match the other spikes a little better.  I still need to add some details and currently I think there's a bit too much of the purple stone.  It may not look that bad in this picture, but you see it mostly from the top in Glest, so you see a lot more purple.  Other than that, what do I need to work on?

titi

• MegaGlest Team
  • Airship
    • View Profile
    • http://www.titusgames.de
« Reply #439 on: 19 September 2009, 23:59:58 »
here is the correct dark elder link:
http://www.titusgames.de/darkmagic/dark_elder/dark_elder5.zip ( Currently it's version 5 and I cannot hold every version on my website).
Try Megaglest! Improved Engine / New factions / New tilesets / New maps / New scenarios

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #440 on: 20 September 2009, 00:34:47 »
Gargoyle, Imp, Harpy, Alliyp, Shadow Walker, and Morlock
you forgot the Wyvern?
well If you are making a model for either the Wyvern or the harpy I think let the harpy be as it is and upgrade the Wyvern...
I hope you agree because the harpy - well isn't that good of a unit you know - I think the better units need to look a bit different... what do you say?

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: 20 September 2009, 02:46:51 »
you forgot the Wyvern?
well If you are making a model for either the Wyvern or the harpy I think let the harpy be as it is and upgrade the Wyvern...
I hope you agree because the harpy - well isn't that good of a unit you know - I think the better units need to look a bit different... what do you say?
Actually, Wciow is doing the Wyvern and it looks quite good so far.

Fluffy203

« Reply #442 on: 20 September 2009, 05:02:17 »
crap no offense john , but you seem like a one man team , where is your team lol

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #443 on: 20 September 2009, 13:50:13 »
Actually, Wciow is doing the Wyvern and it looks quite good so far.
perhaps I have an outdated version coz it might as well be the magic dragon's twin bro you know - except its walk speed and damage

gameboy

« Reply #444 on: 20 September 2009, 14:55:33 »
yeah, thats an outdated version :), i don't think the new ones in the game yet

Fluffy203

« Reply #445 on: 20 September 2009, 16:55:59 »
yea its not the progress in the glade team is super slow now

Mark

« Reply #446 on: 20 September 2009, 18:21:56 »
Here is a drawing of all the accessories a Shadow Walker should have.  This is to be mixed and matched. 

I was trying to model the Shadow Walker yesterday, and I wondered what the community thought it should look like.  I remember John.d.h saying that maybe we could go with a complete concept overhaul, but I will let you decide.  When I envision the Shadow Walker, I imagine a once powerful beastly lord that is a servant of the Grim Reaper.   He is clothed similarly to the style of his ancient origins, in the Ancient Greek muscled cuirass, with a Horned Corinthian helmet.  Instead of having arms or legs he bears hideous bones.  His immense strength affords him the use of a giant forked Zweihander.  But in my opinion, this is too similar to the Ghost armor, espectially the chest armor.  When modman and I first designed the concept he wore no chest protection, with his bare ribs showing.  I don’t know what people think it should look like, but the above image shows my imaginations variations. Please, describe each part of him you think should be used if you want your opinion to be heard.   
Now I will describe each part.  The first section is Heads. 
*Indicates my preference
*H. A.: A plain Corinthian helmet with distinctive eye holes and a nose guard. 
H.B.: A plain Skull with an evil grin in its eyes.  It could have“Glowing” eyes.
H.C.: A pumpkin head.  Little description needed here.  Just a small thought of mine, a joke really.
H.D.: A fiery flame that constantly moves.  Would add a bit of evil to his look, but remove all sophistication. 
H.C.: No head at all.  Maybe it would look cool, one thing is for sure, it would reduce the poly count no doubt.
Head Plumes:
H.P.A.: Spartan plume.  Similar to the ones worn be Greek hoplites. 
H.P.B.: Simple pair of feathers attached to either side of head. 
*H.P.C.: [Not drawn] A pair of large horns mounted on the helmet.  This would add theme to the unit.

Bodies:
*B.A.: Muscled Cuirass with semi-decorative Linothorax-style Bronze riveted leather loin guards.  I think this adds a little bit of a dangerous look to unit.  To me it says “Look at me you foolish mortal, you don’t look half as good as I do!”  Sadly, something similar to this is also on the Ghost Armor in Dark Magic, and really doesn’t feel right because of it.
B.B.: A simple skeleton.  This is what Modman originally had in mind, but it was put aside for the Cuirass.  Now I am reconsidering it.
B.C.: A skeleton with a robe and giant spiked pauldrons. This looks cool, but screams MAGE so loud I might have to hold my ears.  Besides, this is what the acolyte is wearing, so it really isn’t the best option. 

Weapons:  I have really decided on giant swords being the weapon, because they are the mark of not only a strong and rich warrior, but a highly skilled one as well.  Lately I have leaned towards the Zweihander style swords, so you are the judge. 
W.1.: Giant knightly sword.  Similar to the tech one, just resized twofold.
W.2.: 1400s Rapier.  A narrow, slashing-stabbing combination blade that was the mark of a master swordsman.
W.3.: Flamberge.  A curved bladed variation on the Zweihander, it allowed the user to catch the enemies weapon and manipulate it from a distance, as well as being able to stab, slash and hack just like a normal Zweihander. 
W.4.: Zweihander.  A magnificently difficult and tiring weapon to wield, the Zweihander could crack the stout shafts of pikes and do even more damage to the pikemen. 
*W.5.: A Zweihander style trident/man catcher.  I like how the blade is widened to provide two strong leaf-shaped blades.  I like this one because it looks very cool, yet outlandish enough to be fitting.
Hilts for the sword
W.H.1.: A large hilt that has a ball of amber with a shrunken skull inside.
W.H.2.: A simple hilt with a skull attached.
W.H.3.: A claymore hilt with thin crossguards and elegant trappings.
*W.H.4.: A classic Zwei Hander hilt that has a second grip to allow extra control.
W.H.5.: A katana hilt with a network of tassels on the end.  I personally just put this down as an extra option. 

What do you think?

Loronal

« Reply #447 on: 20 September 2009, 19:07:02 »
Id think on a katana/scimitar design but long and thick(like the y as long and the z as thick not the x)

Fluffy203

« Reply #448 on: 20 September 2009, 20:33:28 »
lmfao i think you spent too much time doing that , why didn't you just model it

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #449 on: 20 September 2009, 21:27:58 »
Mark what do you think about something similar to the sword of the Persian sword man and the Dominion officer? Well no offense coz you might think 'FOR ALL THE WORK THAT I DID!!'
otherwise I agree with Loronal - a long and thin (if possible make it as dark black or red as possible) blade with sort of horns around the hilt - like a scimitar
I believe that should give it a very effective 'evil' look
That's what my imagination tells me.. I'll edit my post if I get another idea and if no one has posted after me