Poll

If you have played v 10.07.27, please rate your playing experience(s)

Five stars - Magitech quality
4 (15.4%)
Four stars - above average
14 (53.8%)
Three stars - average
7 (26.9%)
Two stars - below average
0 (0%)
One star - painful
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 15 July 2016, 11:49:45

Author Topic: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic  (Read 280335 times)

John.d.h

• Airship
  • I have to go now. My planet needs me.
    • View Profile
Re: GLADE Team Project: Dark Magic
« Reply #450 on: 21 September 2009, 00:00:53 »
This is totally up for discussion, but here are some possibilities for what I think the Shadow Walker could be like.

Version #1) The Shadow Walker was once a mighty swordsman until the forces of darkness corrupted his mind and warped his body, making him something not quite human.  He is quite strong but has lost some control over himself, so he wields a large sword that only the mightiest of mortal men could lift, but he swings it with one hand in a clumsy sweeping motion and he walks unhindered by his armor, but with an awkward shambling gait due to his twisted body.  He wears heavy spiked plate armor and covers himself in a dark cloak and hood to obscure his hideous form.

Version #2) Instead of twisting his body into a monstrous shape, the influence of darkness has turned the Shadow Walker into an incorporeal, ghostly form.  His body is gone, but the dark arts allow his soul to remain on the physical plane and to manipulate his surroundings in his ectoplasmic form.  He wields a ghostly sword that inflicts horrible wounds despite its immaterial nature and he hovers slowly but inexorably just above the ground.  When he is destroyed, his bond with the physical plane is severed and his form disperses, leaving only a collapsed black garment lying on the ground.

Edit: Included some reference images.

General appearance
General appearance
Possible sword
Another sword
Yet another sword
Possible helmet (for version #1)
Shoulder armor (for version #1)
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 00:23:43 by John.d.h »

Mark

« Reply #451 on: 21 September 2009, 01:41:37 »
lmfao i think you spent too much time doing that , why didn't you just model it
Actually, I did the whole post in 20 minutes, zipped it up and then posted it here.   Modeling would have taken awhile, but I have already modeled my favs.  Just no texture has been either applied or attempted.

Id think on a katana/scimitar design but long and thick(like the y as long and the z as thick not the x)
I really don't want him to look like some kind of master swordsman, I was hoping for more crudeness. 

Mark what do you think about something similar to the sword of the Persian sword man and the Dominion officer?
I know what the Persian one looks like, and I really don't like how it is so traceable and not fantasy at all really.  I have never played dominion.  Could you give me a screenshot?

Well no offense coz you might think 'FOR ALL THE WORK THAT I DID!!'
I thought that Archmage101 made Dominion?  ???

otherwise I agree with Loronal - a long and thin (if possible make it as dark black or red as possible) blade with sort of horns around the hilt - like a scimitar
Okay, I like your color ideas because they sound cool and I never thought of any colorings, but long and thin completely nullifies the crude and giantness of the sword that I thought I made painfully obvious I wanted.  But if the community wants it, well, they can have it for all I am concerned.  :)

That's what my imagination tells me.. I'll edit my post if I get another idea and if no one has posted after me
Good... We need good posters like you around here.

This is totally up for discussion
Oh, I agree immensely.  I am really at the end of my rope after spending a year trying to think it out.

here are some possibilities for what I think the Shadow Walker could be like.
I will respond in chunks, rather than all at once.

Version #1) The Shadow Walker was once a mighty swordsman until the forces of darkness corrupted his mind and warped his body, making him something not quite human.  He is quite strong but has lost some control over himself, so he wields a large sword that only the mightiest of mortal men could lift, but he swings it with one hand in a clumsy sweeping motion and he walks unhindered by his armor, but with an awkward shambling gait due to his twisted body.  He wears heavy spiked plate armor and covers himself in a dark cloak and hood to obscure his hideous form.
Okay, that is perfecto exactly what I had in mind, minus how he uses only one hand, and how he has a cloak.  I think that since he has nothing in his other hand, he should use both.  I had never thought of a cloak, but that sounds okay.  As long as it doesn't conceal his skeletal features and armor.  I mean, you can't have a guy wearing a cloak be supposedly heavily armored.  If it was barely hanging on his body, I would like that, but if not, IDK how you would show his armor.  BUT... I originally had him wearing a cape with a brooch by his neck connecting it, so maybe that is what you were saying.  And anyways, I don't think any of you are really capable of animating a full body cloak and a body-though I am not much better because I can't animate at all.

Version #2) Instead of twisting his body into a monstrous shape, the influence of darkness has turned the Shadow Walker into an incorporeal, ghostly form.
I had thought of that once, but had abandoned it rather than refining it because having gnawed at flesh would be too high poly and having transparency just really ruins the powerful look in my opinion. 

His body is gone, but the dark arts allow his soul to remain on the physical plane and to manipulate his surroundings in his ectoplasmic form. 
Again, not too sure about the ectoplasm, but I like how he is able to control his skeletal body with some kind of dark art... Very nice!  ;)  Just I don't want him to be manipulating his surroundings as a ranged attack.

When he is destroyed, his bond with the physical plane is severed and his form disperses, leaving only a collapsed black garment lying on the ground.
Jeez, can't people, even in games just fold their dirty laundry, and then place it gently on the floor in a basket?  What is this world coming to?!  No, really, I really like that idea.  Maybe he could also have his bones scattered around?  But just the garment sounds cool, too.

Quote from: John.d.h
General appearance
I really want to keep this as far from LOTR as possible.  But in the book, the wraithlords are close to my idea of what a shadow walker is.

General appearance
Nice, I am digging the length of it, but again, I just can't run with that full body cloak.

Possible sword
I like the edges, but just not perfect.

Another sword
I suppose we could do that, but really, I just think that looks too frail.

Yet another sword
Nice!  I love that hilt guard! That is exactly what I was thinking about.

Possible helmet
Well, I like how it is very spiky, but in bronze it would be better.

Shoulder armor
Well, perfect, but what is to say about spiked pauldrons? the name says it all.  Just maybe if they were black-er and more giant and loose fitting, almost hanging off the body.

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #452 on: 21 September 2009, 02:13:21 »
Personally, I like the idea of a corporeal shadow walker, with a violent touch of dark purple (a color commonly attributed with evil). Of course, it doesn't need to be partially transparent, since that doesn't render well, but I kinda liked the idea. Up to you though. I'm all for an effing large sword though! ;)

I never looked at any of the pics though...  :(
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Mark

« Reply #453 on: 21 September 2009, 02:16:07 »
You should check out the pics.

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: 21 September 2009, 05:12:10 »
Okay, that is perfecto exactly what I had in mind, minus how he uses only one hand, and how he has a cloak.  I think that since he has nothing in his other hand, he should use both.
I was kinda thinking that his body was deformed in a way that just about any kind of movement would be painful, so all of his animations would be somewhat unconventional, but I'm open to other possibilities.
I had never thought of a cloak, but that sounds okay.  As long as it doesn't conceal his skeletal features and armor.  I mean, you can't have a guy wearing a cloak be supposedly heavily armored.  If it was barely hanging on his body, I would like that, but if not, IDK how you would show his armor.  BUT... I originally had him wearing a cape with a brooch by his neck connecting it, so maybe that is what you were saying.  And anyways, I don't think any of you are really capable of animating a full body cloak and a body-though I am not much better because I can't animate at all.
I was thinking that he would have a hood to obscure his head to add sort of an air of mystery, like "what's really under all that armor?", kinda leaving that up to the players' imagination whether it was a person, a ghost, or some kind of monster.  I just found this picture that closely matches my concept, but without the misty aura stuff.  Capes do make animations a little bit more of a hassle, but not by much.
I had thought of that once, but had abandoned it rather than refining it because having gnawed at flesh would be too high poly and having transparency just really ruins the powerful look in my opinion.
I meant that he would still be mostly covered.  I think not knowing what's under the armor makes him a lot scarier.
Again, not too sure about the ectoplasm, but I like how he is able to control his skeletal body with some kind of dark art... Very nice!  ;)  Just I don't want him to be manipulating his surroundings as a ranged attack.
I just meant "manipulating his surroundings" in the same way a person would, but without a physical body (no flesh, no bones, nothing).
Maybe he could also have his bones scattered around?  But just the garment sounds cool, too.
The concept I was going with there actually has no bones or any physical body, but scattered bones could look pretty cool too.
I really want to keep this as far from LOTR as possible.  But in the book, the wraithlords are close to my idea of what a shadow walker is.
Bah!  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've never actually read the books (except The Hobbit).
General appearance
Nice, I am digging the length of it, but again, I just can't run with that full body cloak.
Yeah, I was thinking that one would go along with version #2, which is really more ghost than man and hovers instead of walking.  I'll try to sketch up a concept of what I mean for both instances.
Possible helmet
Well, I like how it is very spiky, but in bronze it would be better.
Perhaps.  Personally I think having his head covered by a hood would be the best option, but I guess the face of his helmet would still show.
Shoulder armor
Well, perfect, but what is to say about spiked pauldrons? the name says it all.  Just maybe if they were black-er and more giant and loose fitting, almost hanging off the body.
Agreed.  I guess part of the misshapen body idea is that his armor probably doesn't fit so well.

Edit: Done with my sketches.  Will scan and post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2009, 04:02:03 by John.d.h »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #455 on: 21 September 2009, 11:34:26 »
I'd love to model/animate something to do with the Shadow Walker.
Egypt Remastered!

Proof: Owner of glest@mail.com

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #456 on: 21 September 2009, 14:04:09 »
I thought that Archmage101 made Dominion? ???
well you got me wrong there I meant... well nvm as it's gonna take some time - just I'm happy that it didn't turn out as I feared
yeah I think a long and thin sword would nullify the effects of 'evil' and 'gruesome' and 'cruel' and so on
Geez I didn't know i had such a vocabulary lol   ;)
coming to the hood I have I good idea :)
the hood partially covers his head - leaving his face which can be covered by as a skeleton-skull-looking helmet as possible,
and drops all the way down BUT covers only the middle section of his back to reveal his gruesome shoulders and his side plate armor which can preferably be dark violet as mentioned by Omega but for the effect of shoulders to be maximized I think it should be a really bright color like umm, torch-red?
though if it would make a difference add some blood to the tips of the spikes if you think a different color would look more appropriate

PS what is WOTR? or whatever that was I can't find it in the page though I remember reading it! ???  

edit: Now that I come to think of what I said, it reminds me of Superman and Batman and those heroes! :'(
though isn't it a good idea?
I'll post my idea of animations later coz I'm not that confident
« Last Edit: 21 September 2009, 14:06:47 by Kung Fu Panda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #457 on: 21 September 2009, 14:07:29 »
That could be meant to say LOTR for Lord of the Rings.........but I searched the page........nothing.............so IDK what your talking about.
Egypt Remastered!

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #458 on: 21 September 2009, 14:08:54 »
lol am I getting hallucinations?
well do you like my idea?

modman

« Reply #459 on: 22 September 2009, 01:11:28 »
I like version number one, the one where he is twisted up.  This is mostly to further differ from Magic, because if we go the ghost path, he could look very similar to the Ghost Armor.

Oh, and Mark, if the Shadow Walker was wearing a cape, you probably wouldn't see similarity to the Acolyte, because the Shadow Walker is much taller.  Also, it would look more like a shadow, and also be getting at a mysterious concept.

Personally I would like a twisted body in armor, but with a cape.  The twisting body, I think, is a great idea.  And the helmet John showed is great, as well as the shoulder armor.

Mark, please remember we're trying to keep poly count down, so he may not have "standard" armor.  But I do like how your knowledge of armor is helping with this unit.  Keep up the good work.

***Also, I was in the Dells last weekend, so that's why I didn't post.***

Omega

• MegaGlest Team
  • Dragon
  • Professional bug writer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #460 on: 22 September 2009, 01:21:02 »
Don't worry about the accuracy of the armor. The way I see it, if the body is twisted, why not the armor? That might look good...

*Envisions twisted, ugly beast from hell in his twisted, ugly mind*
YEAH!

PS: I'm curious how modman feels about the new Glest developement team.
Edit the MegaGlest wiki: http://docs.megaglest.org/

My personal projects: http://github.com/KatrinaHoffert

Mark

« Reply #461 on: 22 September 2009, 01:22:24 »
I understand that the poly count should stay low.  If the community can come to a definitive conclusion, I will model it and can hopefully expect 600 - 800 polys.  I think that the real work on making this look good is in the texture, not the actual model.  Maybe we can make the cape frayed with some alpha if we make it one sided.  

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 22 September 2009, 04:32:22 »
Here's the sketch of my two concepts.  I couldn't really make the first one look as twisted and deformed as I'm imagining in my head because I traced his outline from an anatomical drawing I found, so just use your imagination on that.

assassin

« Reply #463 on: 22 September 2009, 06:20:07 »
The concept on the right looks way cooler.

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #464 on: 22 September 2009, 07:43:26 »
Nice drawing skills john  :) .... but you didn't say anything which means my idea wasn't accepted :(
anyway, if you want 'twisted bodies', did you check any zombie models from counter strike or something like that (just for the 'twists' I'm telling)
but I'm thinking.... you cannot get those minute details such as twists in the body and all those things very clearly in Glest right? (I'm not telling it's a bad idea) but what I'm telling is let's get finished with all the major details first then the minute ones eh what do you think?
you could give him the head somewhat like the head of haides in Hercules you know? the enemy of Hercules-the one with a flaming head and the helmet problem is solved  ;D
« Last Edit: 22 September 2009, 07:45:54 by Kung Fu Panda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #465 on: 22 September 2009, 11:26:11 »
I was kind of hoping for a wrecked soul possessing a grand knight(without his steed of course)
Weapons: Kinda like this one(a 2h obviously)
Armor: Grand looking(one on the left)
Body, bones.................

Well what da ya think?
Egypt Remastered!

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #466 on: 22 September 2009, 13:02:37 »
adventure quest or dragon fable?  :P  :P  :P

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #467 on: 22 September 2009, 13:32:36 »
I know one of those images is from Dragon Fable or AQ, but still, it''s just for concept.
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #468 on: 22 September 2009, 14:42:39 »
I was kind of hoping for a wrecked soul possessing a grand knight(without his steed of course)

Well what da ya think?

Well, I'm not at all part of GLADE or a modder anything else but... Read what was posted on the Shadow Walker from about page 17 and here are my 2 cents for whomever may want them:

My "concept" derives from the unit's name: Shadow Walker.

1. It is a shadow. None but black should be used in it! Ok, ok, I guess some very dark grey might be used in the texturing to outline some aspects of its look... but definitely NO other colors!
NO transparency required AT ALL! Opaque black means opaque/strong shadow, which conveys quite some dark evil on its own (real shadows are actually color darkening, NOT solid black!)! And also fits very well the idea of a stong warrior.
And definitely NO glow! Honestly, dark characters with glowing eyes just seem corny to me.  :P
That being said, the first thing that comes to my mind is some kind of cloaked character... BUT... it can work just as well with any other form, just as long as it PITCH-BLACK (I konw I'm being repetitive and somewhat scream-like  ;D ). The cloak basically conveys a sense of some indistinction, but so can something like LONGNESS - long body, long head, long arms and legs - they do not need to be thin, if the character is tall... ;)
Specially, more than any other unit, even in Dark Magic, the shadow should be Dark, Obscure and Misteriuos!
Matter of fact, the unit might just as well be all solid-black!!! Seriously!... Glest is 3d so you could already see some interesting forms just because of the model itself, even being the texture just solid black! That would really make the unit very shadowy... ;)
But its opaque-shadow (assuming you liked that idea) might also benefit from some dark grey texturing here and there. :)

2. It is a Walker so it kind os suggests some walking animation... It does not need to show the legs however. It can just show their movement like e.g. the Magic Initiates do.
It should most likely NOT run!
It may not necessarily be a two-legged walk! An humanoid upper-body might perfectly fit something like e.g. crawling multi-arms...

Now that being said, and regarding what has been discussed earlier:

- Body-type: Cloaked vs Not-cloaked (possibly armored).
I pretty much covered this in talking about "shadow". Easiest association with shadow comes from cloaking. But black armored body may be a more original aproach that still gets acceptable association.
The second pic on archmage101 pretty much resembles something I thought about while reading the above discussion: a cloak that covers only the back and lets the front display the armor. In my conception though the helmet would cover all of the head and leave only two dark thin rectangles (or such) for the eyes (or even nothing if solid-black got to be the texture!). The helmet type could be anything and I'd personally ornament it with a couple mean horns. And a droped back hud on top of the cape would look nice too.
The twisted body concept gets a great example IMO on the first image. I really liked that too. Though the thin-shadow effect kind of gets lost there, the overall picture is not bad, and being kind of folded unto itself also gives it a kind of indistinction. ;) The toes on the other hand I think are inadapted to the Shadow Walker. But the shape of the head provides good inspiration I think ... and longness! lol

- Weapon: I think a long, wide blade would be good - preferably NO scimitar likeness though it depends how (un)likely... I also like the two-blades concept. And I think it should be wielded with both hands.
On the other side,  John.d.h's idea of swingin "it with one hand in a clumsy sweeping", along with the concpet behind (dark forces twisting and corrupting his body) is a very interesting one too! ;)

On a kind of side note... have you considered making it walk through usually unwalkable items like rocks, trees, even buildings (but NOT other movable units for gameplay sanity sake!).. That would be neat!...
And if you do, I guess the model and texturing should take that into acount as well. ;)

EDIT: Darn! I just thought of something: Team color! Dough!... Well, just give it bloody team-color glowing eyes (sigh!) and team-color long hilt and hope for the best! :-\
Hey, it wasn't my idea to have a Shadow Walker in the first place! :P
Edit #2: Oh, and maybe a team-color long necklace with a stone hanging over (or something like that, not very big), that shows who *owns* the Shadow Walker... ;)
« Last Edit: 22 September 2009, 14:58:30 by jda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #469 on: 22 September 2009, 15:06:53 »
I think it should have shadow armor, just texture it so it look like it has black armor, sort of for skin or something.
Egypt Remastered!

jda

« Reply #470 on: 22 September 2009, 19:03:04 »
"shadow armor"? Do you mean look like Magic's Ghost Armor (but with the difference you outlined)? I guess that could do - but I'd really really really like to at least see a cape in that case; otherwise... :-\

On another matter, the download is really just so you can look at the models, textures, xmls and stuff, right? I though that although not fully playable yet, you would already be able at least start the game and see what the basic buildings and units look and "feel" like... Doesn't seem to be the case. :(

Well, as I'm too daft for anything else, guess I could just look at the xmls and see how the stats and balance look like...  ;D
But I pro'ly won't... As I said before, I'm no modder, I was just curious... ;D
« Last Edit: 22 September 2009, 19:05:56 by jda »

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #471 on: 22 September 2009, 20:14:03 »
No I meant in addition too what the leading idea was.
Egypt Remastered!

John.d.h

• Airship
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: 22 September 2009, 20:17:14 »
Wow, this really seems to be quite the hot topic!  Thanks to everyone for pitching in your ideas. :)

Nice drawing skills john  :) .... but you didn't say anything which means my idea wasn't accepted :(
You didn't see the "skeleton-skull-looking helmet"?  ;)
anyway, if you want 'twisted bodies', did you check any zombie models from counter strike or something like that (just for the 'twists' I'm telling)
Hmm... those aren't quite what I was thinking.  The zombies from the Half-Life series are a bit closer to what I'm imagining.
but I'm thinking.... you cannot get those minute details such as twists in the body and all those things very clearly in Glest right?
If it's animated right, then it should be easy to see, I think.
you could give him the head somewhat like the head of haides in Hercules you know? the enemy of Hercules-the one with a flaming head and the helmet problem is solved  ;D
Ehh... I'm not really feeling it.  Plus, flames would be really hard to do because the g3d model format doesn't support particle effects.

Well what da ya think?
Too cartoonish in my opinion.

Well, I'm not at all part of GLADE or a modder anything else but... Read what was posted on the Shadow Walker from about page 17 and here are my 2 cents for whomever may want them:
That's fine.  We're making this stuff for the community, so it's always good to hear what the community wants.
1. It is a shadow. None but black should be used in it! Ok, ok, I guess some very dark grey might be used in the texturing to outline some aspects of its look... but definitely NO other colors!
NO transparency required AT ALL! Opaque black means opaque/strong shadow, which conveys quite some dark evil on its own (real shadows are actually color darkening, NOT solid black!)! And also fits very well the idea of a stong warrior.
I think making the whole unit pitch black would make it very indistinct and the details would all be gone.
And definitely NO glow! Honestly, dark characters with glowing eyes just seem corny to me.  :P
You do have a point there.  Glowing eyes are kinda played out.
Specially, more than any other unit, even in Dark Magic, the shadow should be Dark, Obscure and Misteriuos!
Agreed.  That's why I proposed having him completely covered in armor and a cloak, so that no one is quite sure what it is, whether it be a human, monster, undead horror, or something else, while still retaining a form similar to a regular human, just enough to be as creepy and scary as possible.  This article outlines the idea quite well.
Matter of fact, the unit might just as well be all solid-black!!! Seriously!... Glest is 3d so you could already see some interesting forms just because of the model itself, even being the texture just solid black! That would really make the unit very shadowy... ;)
But its opaque-shadow (assuming you liked that idea) might also benefit from some dark grey texturing here and there. :)
I still think that it would be very hard to see details if the unit was solid black.  It might work if Glest had better lighting, but as it stands now, this isn't one of its best features in my opinion.
2. It is a Walker so it kind os suggests some walking animation... It does not need to show the legs however. It can just show their movement like e.g. the Magic Initiates do.
It should most likely NOT run!
It may not necessarily be a two-legged walk! An humanoid upper-body might perfectly fit something like e.g. crawling multi-arms...
This is kinda where I was going with the "awkward shambling gait", kinda like a zombie or Frankenstein's monster.
On a kind of side note... have you considered making it walk through usually unwalkable items like rocks, trees, even buildings (but NOT other movable units for gameplay sanity sake!).. That would be neat!...
And if you do, I guess the model and texturing should take that into acount as well. ;)
Interesting thought, but we don't have a way to do that.  :-\

I think it should have shadow armor, just texture it so it look like it has black armor, sort of for skin or something.
Can you clarify what you mean by that?

On another matter, the download is really just so you can look at the models, textures, xmls and stuff, right? I though that although not fully playable yet, you would already be able at least start the game and see what the basic buildings and units look and "feel" like... Doesn't seem to be the case. :(
I thought I remembered it working just fine for me, but then again I might have had to fix some things first.  I don't really remember for sure.

Well, as I'm too daft for anything else, guess I could just look at the xmls and see how the stats and balance look like...  ;D
But I pro'ly won't... As I said before, I'm no modder, I was just curious... ;D
If you have the g3d viewer, you can at least take a look at the models and animations.

-Archmage-

• Dragon
  • Make it so.
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #473 on: 22 September 2009, 20:27:32 »
When you said too cartoonish for one of my ideas, I think you weren't interpreting the picture the way I was, I wasn't thinking cartoonish, I though it gave a good general look, it just needed to be made more serious, but the concept was just to show what he could look similar too.

Hey, too make a model go through things in Glest can't you make it an air unit, but put the model way lower in Blender, would that work..........?

And what I mean by shadow armor is a shade, wearing a suit of black armor, with grey/light grey trim.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2009, 20:30:12 by archmage101 »
Egypt Remastered!

Kung Fu Panda

« Reply #474 on: 22 September 2009, 20:59:33 »
We want this shadow walker to be scary here right? and possibly WHAT could possibly make it scarier than Gleaming red eyes showing from a totally dark body background (it doesn't necessarily have to be black as such-it could even be dark violet :P)?
well I'd prefer a cape(is that what hangs down the back like what Dracula wears?) , large horns if possible coated with blood  :D ,
dark armor
Now that I'm thinking... I don't like the spiked shoulder idea much now...it could do a lot better with the cape covering his shoulders and back too...
walking animation:
IDK but I kinda like the idea of the dark cape hangin behind his back - as it is like a very similar color as his armor so it looks 'cool' and 'scary' at the same time in my imagination..
but.. if he has the cape... I feel that while he is walking, his legs moving should not be seen as legs moving as a normal human's would reduce the 'anti-human' effect we are trying to put so how about minimizing the chance of seeing his legs by putting a dark area around them like the shadow of his cloak *ahem* cape so - he look more supernatural - or just leave it like that as the color of his armor should make his leg movement look cooler ???
attack animation:
I'm thinking of the same concept whether he is holding the sword in one or both hands-
not a fast attack but an animations which bellows 'I'M THE BOSS HERE' with every blow - you get the idea?
weapon: I'm still thinking of details but for general, I totally agree with Omega 'I'm with an 'effing' large sword too ;D though it could do with a spot on the hilt which would show against the color of the blade
eg : if the sword in red, there could be a dark color spot on the hilt to make the sword look very good
*out of ideas*

oh I hadn't seen the skull helmet but now I see it, it's perfect!